Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20645 Discussions

HD 4000 triple monitor works in Linux, not Windows

DLars1
Beginner

I have a Lenovo T430 with Intel HD 4000 and the Lenovo Mini Dock Plus. I have connected two identical displays using the DisplayPort connectors on the dock and would like to keep the laptop's internal display also active.

I've tried various combinations, but no matter what I choose, I can only have two displays active at any given time in Windows 8 (64-bit). The Intel website shows a third display option will appear in the control panel, but I have yet to see it appear. I even tried updating to the latest driver available on Intel's website without any improvement.

What's very odd is this same laptop and configuration works fine in Ubuntu 11.04 with all three displays enabled. It seems very odd to me that the Windows driver is limited, yet the Linux driver is not.

Is there any trick to force the third display to enable? Is this a problem with Windows 8 or a limitation of the driver?

0 Kudos
90 Replies
PMans
New Contributor I

a "displaylink" USB to DVI or similar adaptor would definitely give you an additional video output - it provides a completely independent video device separate from that built into the Intel HD GPU.

Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Please try a DVI-I. The DVI dual link is not supported by our controllers.

APark8
Beginner

I found this thread through a bit of searching, glad I did!

My system is an i7 3770 (non-K) with an ASRock z77 Extreme4 board.

I have 3 monitors; none have displayport anything attached to them. 1 is plugged in via HDMI, one is VGA, the other is DVI. No adapters, just straight cords, all plugged into the motherboard connectors (I don't have a separate video card currently.)

In Windows 8.1 and 10, only the HDMI and VGA monitors will work. In Ubuntu 15.04, all 3 work, with separate desktops (as in, I can scroll the mouse across all 3, from my left monitor, through the center, to the right.) I tried downloading the latest Intel driver (as of this post), which made no difference. In Windows, if I unplug the DVI and plug it back in, the monitor momentarily reacts like it knows it is connected to something, but then it just passes into power save mode. Both the Windows display settings and the Intel driver settings indicate only 2 monitors regardless.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

When trying to setup Triple monitor configuration with HD 4000/2500 you must have 2 Display port monitors and any other type of video output.

Here you have an example of the configuration you should use:

You can find the Triple Display FAQ here:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033714.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033714.htm

0 Kudos
APark8
Beginner

"When trying to setup Triple monitor configuration with HD 4000/2500 you must have 2 Display port monitors and any other type of video output."

That's flatly false, and frankly I feel the frustration of others in this thread with Intel people regurgitating incorrect information.

All 3 monitors work independently in Linux with NO (zero, none, not even 1) Displayport adapters or monitors.

This is not a hardware or configuration issue. It has been made to not work in Windows, and your customers want to know why.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello Naqahdah,

The information provided above is mentioning the configuration when using Windows Operating System. Linux is very different and we currently do not have drivers available.

0 Kudos
DPete16
Beginner

I am going to jump in here as well because I am trying to get 3 monitors working. I have a Dell Latitude E6430 connected to the Pro2X Docking station (which has two DP connectors), the internal LCD screen is LVDS. My monitors are each connected with an Active DP-->DVI adapter and both monitors are running 1920x1080. According to your chart below, this configuration should be supported.

My problem is just like most others - the Intel driver DOES NOT SEE three monitors, even though you say it should. i just updated to the newest driver I could locate which is 10.18.10.4176. Why does your driver not support the configuration you advertise?

0 Kudos