Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20692 Discussions

HD 5500 Graphics memory leak

KTrum1
Beginner

HD 5500 Graphics on i5, on HP laptop Product number L0Q89UA.

Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

Non-paged pool will gradually fill until all memory is filled, causing computer to become very slow, basically un-useable.

Used poolmon.exe to determine the process with the memory leak with tag @GMM, used Findstr to match the tag to the file igdkmd64.sys which is the Intel HD 5000 driver.

Started with version 10.18.10.3960 which is the latest version that HP supplies, and also installed the latest driver from the Intel website 10.18.14.4332, memory leak remains.

Applied registry fixes for similar issues others have had on Windows 8.1 regarding playing games at different resolutions, no change.

I can change to the Microsoft Basic Display Driver and there is no memory leak. I run Windows 8.1 on other laptops with different graphics, no memory leak.

I am asking for a driver revision that corrects this issue.

Please advise concerning a corrected driver or if you have any other fix that will resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, KTSaved:

I am aware that Intel is currently working on memory leak issues with graphics drivers, I would recommend to check https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Drivers & Software for future driver releases.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
MSlou
Beginner

Hello Amy,

I have same problem like KTSaved. I own HP Spectre x360 13-4000nc notebook (product number L5D95EA, CPU i5-5200U) with official drivers from HP site.

Non-paged pool has 1.1 GB in my case:

This is after about 11 hours uptime, but the non-paged pool allocation isn't connected with uptime. I guess it has more to do with applications which are using GPU extensively (like watching videos on the internet and so on. I am using Google Chrome as a web browser FYI).

By tracking in Driver Verifier Manager, igdkmd64.sys has allocated 705,460,144 bytes:

The version of igdkmd64.sys is 10.18.14.4139:

Thank you for help.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Try installing the following driver version; https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25948/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40], use this method for the installation; http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html How to Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 &...

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
PBara1
Beginner

@GMM memory leak still occurs. On my desktop computer i use only Iris Pro 6200 iGPU. Version of driver doesn't matter, memory leak happens on every version i install. I updated to newest beta with the method you sent in this post and there's still 4GB non-paged pool. I really don't know why this happened. Before that leak everything worked fine. I use Windows 10 Pro x64. Here's a screen from Windows Performance Kit:

Edit. Also right before leak occured the driver crashed. I don't remember if it was before or after i updated the graphic driver with Snappy Driver installer. It has in it's base 20.19.15.4483 driver which is weird because newest driver on Intel website is 20.19.15.4474 (and it's beta driver).

Edi2. I fixed it. Thanks to the advice i got on other forum i recalled that i changed VRAM reserved for iGPU from 448(i think)MB to 1GB. I changed it to 512MB and there's no more memory leak.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

TheArrow, thank you for sharing your outcome, I am glad to hear that you were able to fix this.

Regards,

0 Kudos
GTorg
Beginner

This issue is making my computer incredibly slow and unable to multitask.

I tried to update the drivers from here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26078/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=85214 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40] which is the result I got searching for driver updates for i7-5500U, which is the kind of processor I have. But the installer just said this type of processor is not compatible.

Running Windows 8.1.

Drivers were up-to-date so now I'm trying reverting to an older driver.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Could you please confirm your processor model? I can help you get the proper driver.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos