Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20624 Discussions

HD Graphics 4600 Control Panel bugs and crashes

MGust2
Novice

The HD Graphics Control Panel process Gfxv4_0.exe always crash if I click on "Display". And almost every other window has corrupt UI.

Here's an image that should give you an idea.

41 Replies
MGust2
Novice

joe_intel I've had the same installation of Windows 7 for many years now, across at least three different computers. I.e. I've replaced all hardware components several times over. Maybe that's the culprit.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@ gurr, It is very possible that the registry has been corrupted by the multiple HW changes/upgrades. Are you in a position to re-install the OS?

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
MGust2
Novice

I'm not willing to reinstall Windows at this point. It takes too much time to set everything up again

Maybe rc-1 is willing to try it?

I'm not sure if this is of any help, but I've noticed that the Control Panel doesn't crash if the window is higher than ~1160 pixels. If I gradually reduce the window's height it eventually crash with the same callstack as before: the height some UI element becomes negative and an exception is thrown.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@ gurr, Could you post your crash dump and the exact steps to reproduce the issue?

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
MGust2
Novice

I've uploaded the dump file

Steps to reproduce on my computer is simply this:

1. Start Intel HD Graphics Control Panel

2. Click on Display

You could be right about the registry being corrupt. The control panel works perfectly fine if I start it from a newly created Windows account.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Where is the dump located at?

0 Kudos
MGust2
Novice

Oh, sorry. It's located at ftp.intel.com/pub/incoming

I got upload instructions from Robert_U

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

It looks like the operating system is corrupted.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

@ gurr

Sending a PM

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi gurr

Could you please provide the below?

1. Process Monitor tool can be downloaded from the link : https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/Library/bb896645.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396 https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/Library/bb896645.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
  2. Install the same on the system
  3. Launch the tool on the menu disable all other logging except "Show Registry activity". Refer the below image, whatever is marked inside the Red box need to be disabled.

4. Clear the log by going to Edit -> Clear Display.
  5. Launch Intel Graphics Control Panel. Replicate the problem user is facing. (This will show all the registers Intel Control Panel is accessing when the problem occurs).
  6. Save the dump by going to File -> Save and provide back to Intel

Please provide dump file back to me via PM

MGust2
Novice

I'm afraid I can't help you because I just finished installing Windows 10 and all bugs are now gone!

0 Kudos
RC_
Novice

Alright, I downloaded and ran the 3.20 (latest) version of ProcessMonitor, disabled every other type of logging other than registry logging as instructed. No problems so far, but this is a showstopper:

Refer the below image, whatever is marked inside the Red box need to be disabled.

I do not see any image attached to your post. I do not know what I should disable before submitting my log.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Thanks rc-1

Apologies, the pic didn't show up. Here it is.

0 Kudos
RC_
Novice

Alright. I have the logfiles:

• one for the display button crash and
  • another for the rest of the buttons (3D, etc), all of them showing malformed menus.

Beware, they are in PML format (Process Monitor Log, I think?) and they are pretty big (~300MB), so I had to compress them with 7-zip to a more manageable size for upload (9MB).

I will link the archive here> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7WgEhnHYWQ_YjRhalRIRE1HcjA/view?usp=sharing ProcessMonitor_PML_logs.7z - Google Drive

I have made the logs as clean as possible, disabled network, other processes and USB3 polling, so there should be a clean report of the error itself.

Steps taken to reproduce the error, after starting and prepping the ProcMon:

1. Right-click on the desktop, context menu appears;
  2. Selected Graphics Properties context menu item (direct launch of Intel HD Graphics CP)

and this is where the two logs are different:

• logfile_Display shows the crash when clicking on the main Display button;
  • logfile_3d shows me clicking through the rest of the main buttons (3D, Profiles, Video, Options and Support), and the app showing me the malformed inner menus.

That's about it. If you need the logs in some other format, be sure to leave me a message.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Thanks rc-1

I've provided this info to the Developer. I'll let you know if they request anything else.

0 Kudos
VPain
Beginner

i have the same bug here

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

If you guys can, please try this and let me know what results you have.

1. Open notepad.exe

2. Copy/paste the below

cd %SystemRoot%\System32

del igfx*.*

3. Save As = CleanUninstall.bat

Make sure when you see the file the extension is .bat not .txt

4. Replicate the issue

5. Uninstall the driver (reboot)

6. Run the .bat file (reboot)

7. Install latest OEM driver

8. Retest issue

9. Report results back

0 Kudos
VPain
Beginner

Mysteriously the control panel back to normal, lol .

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello:

I am glad to hear that you were able to fix the bug in the Graphics panel.

If you require any further information, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Well, that's great news, and I'll note for anyone else [rc-1] if you're seeing this issue and willing, please provide the info so we can further investigate this.

Appreciate you working with us gurr.

0 Kudos