Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20596 Discussions

HD Graphics 530 - Bad Performance In Web Browsers

PBeck8
Beginner

Hi there 🙂

I've recently freshly installed Windows 10 1909 on my media PC which is attached to a 4K TV (at 60 Hz). PC spec's are:

HP ProDesk 400 G2

Intel i5-6500T

Intel HD Graphics 530 with newest driver (26.20.100.7584)

8 GB DDR3 RAM

256 GB SSD

Watching videos on YouTube with Google Chrome version 79, I suddenly noticed the substantially worse playback performance: Even with video quality reduced to 720p60, the system barely manages 40 FPS (instead of 60, obviously) with a GPU utilization of more or less 100 percent. After further investigations, I've realised that not only the video playback performance has tanked, but the scrolling as well; about 40 FPS instead of 60. So I'm assuming that every graphics-accelerated aspect within the webbrowser is affected.

My next step was trying different drivers: I rolled back to version 15.40.14.4352 from 2015 and, lo and behold, my 60 FPS were back! Unfortunately, with it came occasional crashes of Chrome's graphics engine during regular web-browsing. It seems like an incompatibility between the old driver, Windows 19 1909 and the new Chrome. On the other hand, YouTube playback was without any issue.

So I started to try out more recent driver versions, at least 6 different versions: Performance was bad again.. I then completely reset Google Chrome (by removing the folder in %LocalAppData%), reinstalled it, tried Firefox (same issue) and so on... And now I'm here, hoping for help 🙂

Performance outside of the web browsers is not affected, it's exactly the same between the two drivers. I verified that with a short GPU benchmark.

Before my installation of Win 10 1909, I used 1709 with a graphics driver from 2018, which worked absolutely fine.

There are two screenshots attached, the first one with the newest driver and the second one with the oldest one officially available. You can see the dropped frames of the video playback and the system load.

Based of the dropped frames ratio, the performance compares as follows:

26.20.100.7584 (and several others): 41 FPS avg.

15.40.14.4352: 56 FPS avg.

Help would be very much appreciated!

Best regards

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Do not use chrome.

Doc

0 Kudos
PBeck8
Beginner

Instead of not using Chrome, I've decided to not use Intel anymore 🙂 With my AMD APU, it works well now.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello PBeck8

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

I would like to test the behavior that you are having on mu end, in order to do the test as close as possible please provide me with the video sample that you have used, and the math that you are applying to calculate the FPS during the video playback.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
PBeck8
Beginner

Hi Leo,

You're response is very appreceated! However, I've got a new PC because of this, as I've mentioned. But I guess since I don't think I'm the only one affected, here are the details:

It's every 60p video you can find 🙂 I've tested it with https://youtu.be/krAqTlGyLxI

Let the video play for a while, then pause it, right click on the video and click "Stats for nerds". You then see the total amount of frames, and the number of dropped frames. Here's an example:

Let's say I paused the video after 10 seconds of playback.

Total amount of frames: 600 -> this would be 60 fps, since the video is actually 60fps

dropped frames: 150 -> these are the number of frames which weren't shown (obviously)

So, of the 600 frames, only 450 frames got displayed, but the video was 10 seconds nevertheless, so:

480 frames / 10 seconds = 48 fps

Greetings,

P.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello PBeck8

Thank you for the details I am going to test a similar environment on my end. I will be posting back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello PBeck8

Thank you for waiting.

I would like to share with you that we are investigating the behavior that you have reported on the thread https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004Yyw5l/problem-with-intel-graphics-620-youtube?language=en_US future updates are going the be posted in there.

Thank you.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos