Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20712 Discussions

HD Graphics 620 - I have attached 2nd monitor via HDMI port, which is 4k and supports 3840x2160 but this resolution is not available in drop down list either 1920x1080 or 3840x4320

MQuir6
Beginner

Why am seeing a resolution of 3840x4320 which as per Intel is not supported on this card!! (not to mention my screen will not go to this resolution). All drivers are up to date.​ I would like to use the 3840x2160 how do we get this to be option?

0 Kudos
24 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello MQuir6,

Thank you for the details of the display model and the link. We will check this further and as soon as we have more details available regarding the behavior, we will be posting back in this thread.

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello MQuir6,

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking further this behavior, and according to the DxDiag* reports the reported frequency of the 60Hz is from the monitor with DisplayPort (embedded DisplayPort™) and the one with HDMI is working as expected at 30Hz.

It is worth mentioning that in clone mode two displays can have the same resolution but different refresh rates.

However, when using extended mode, since this will require to select a resolution individually for each display, the resolutions available will be the ones that the display supports based on the EDID information. This explains why in extended mode the resolution of 3840x2160@60Hz (the one the displays supports) is not available in the drop-down list in the Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel since the HDMI® 1.4 standard only supports a max resolution of 3840x2160@30Hz due to bandwidth limitation.

I hope this clarifies your concerns, and if you have additional inquiries, please let us know.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
MQuir6
Beginner

​Andrew,  thanks for looking into this, I'll live with having the 2nd monitor on 1920x1080.  Last question, if in Duplicate Mode it can provide 3840x2160 @30Hz to the second monitor via HDMI, why is this not an offering when extending?  surely I should be able to select 3840x2160@30hz especially as it was sort of available for use in Duplicate mode!.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello MQuir6,

Thank you for your response.

Regarding your last question and after checking it further with additional research we performed, I would like to mention that the Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel and the driver is working as expected.

The EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) is programmed by the panel (display) Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), the EDID is a set of instructions for our graphics driver to follow for each individual panel. The resolution of 3840x2160@ 60Hz (4K) requires bandwidth that requires a DisplayPort™ connection though only HDMI 1.4 is available therefore 4k @60Hz won't be achieved.

Also, it appears the panel OEM forgot to include 3840x2160@30Hz (4k@30Hz) in the EDID either by mistake or it's not validated to work and these facts would be the reason why resolution 3840x2160 is not available on the drop-down list.

Having said that, what we would recommend at this point is to contact the panel OEM and see if there is a firmware update that perhaps adds this missing resolution mode.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos