Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21079 Discussions

HD graphics 530 pixelation and screen teating within Windows 10 Home (April creators update) Ver. 1803

BJurg
Beginner

I had issues before the Windows 10 April creators update. I had loaded the driver for HD Graphics 530 driver version 24.20.100.6025 with the Windows 10 Home (version 1709). When the Windows 10 Home April creators update came out, I had to roll back to HD Graphics 530 driver version 15.65.5.4982. This is because 24.20.100.6025 was causing my screen to freeze for 2-5 seconds.

Now, after the April creators update, several graphical screen have random pixilation (which sometimes goes away after a couple of seconds), but many Microsoft games and Google Earth have both pixilation and screen tearing. This image attached really (a screen capture) really does not show the tearing (just a little in the upper left-hand corner), but when playing a game it occurs all over the screen (like flashes of light streaks, they go on and off). Even the pixilation will flash and move about.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Uncle_Bern,

Thank you for your response.

We are going to try the following to test the Microsoft* Basic Display Adapter, this time without it updating on its own. First, you need to disconnect the system from the internet. Uninstall the Intel ® Graphics Adapter, keep going until you only have Microsoft's adapter. Once done, reboot the system and I want you to try the games. Once the testing has been done you can reconnect to the internet.

If the tearing or pixelation is still present then it would point to a O.S problem more than a graphics driver problem. We are following this procedure because I need to make sure if the driver is the culprit of this whole problem.

Let me know your findings please.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
BJurg
Beginner

The quick answer is that using "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" the games (Microsoft Solitare, Minesweeper and Mahjong) all worked correctly. There was NO pixilation nor screen tearing to be seen. I tried Google Earth Pro (installed on my computer) and the "globe" came up just fine, however because I had disconnected from the Internet, that was the extent of my testing on this program.

I kept track of what driver version was showing during each uninstall. Here is the litany of them (in the order that I uninstalled them).

Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (after testing at this point, I told "Microsoft Update" setting NOT to install third party updates, then I re-connected to the Internet and re-booted my computer.)

After the re-boot I had the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" showing in my Device Manager. While typing this reply, my screen started to have corrupted display. Checking the Device Manager, I was shown "Intel HD graphics 530" with driver version 20.19.15.4474.

I am going to go to driver version 24.20.100.6136 in the meantime. Unfortunately, for the next week, I will be away from this problem computer.

Also, I am still open to the idea that there is something else interfering with the Intel HD graphics 530 driver.

0 Kudos
BJurg
Beginner

I am still experiencing 1-2 second screen freezing in the Microsoft Edge (browser) and when I click on the Start icon and windows brings up the Start tiles; and have noticed the following entry constantly showing up in the Administrative Event Viewer - Warning - Display - "Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.".

I have seen old internet entries about DISABLING Hardware acceleration, but I can not figure out how to do it (except in Mozilla Firefox) for Windows 10 Home (version 1803). Thought it used to be in the graphic display settings, but I don't see it there.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Uncle_Bern,

I can see that none of the steps provided have not been able to solve your problem at hand. Up to this point, and after doing some research what I was able to find is the following. I would like you to try any of the suggestions:

https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c01317954 https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c01317954

* Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there. *

Let me know if those steps help with the issue.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Uncle_Bern,

I can see that none of the steps provided have not been able to solve your problem at hand. Up to this point, and after doing some research what I was able to find is the following. I would like you to try any of the suggestions:

https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c01317954 https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c01317954

* Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there. *

Let me know if those steps help with the issue.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Uncle_Bern,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Were you able to try the suggestions on the forum I provided?

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
BJurg
Beginner

I tried some of the steps in the HP discussion. Most were not applicable or they are things I have done in the past. However, I did try changing the "Advanced System Settings". I changed the "Visual Effects" to be "Adjust for best performance".--- and this just made things worse. The pixilation and screen tearing did not go away and with this setting, reading my screen and email was worse. I set it back to "Let Windows choose what is best for my computer". I did try "Adjust for best appearance", but that did not really improve anything.

I am also getting "Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered." in the Event viewer for systems. This time on boot up, I got some screen tearing while I typed my password while logging into my system.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Uncle_Bern,

Up to this point, what we can try is, as mentioned before, to re-install the operating system. Also, to check that the processor is in good shape we can run a diagnostic with our Intel ® Processor Diagnostic Tool. You can download it from the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

If everything passes then it means that the processor is working as intended. This could also be a hardware issue which, in this case, would be addressed by your system's manufacturer. You can check with them and see if there is a diagnostic you can run. I would like to test the problem myself as well so I will attempt to replicate the problem myself with the driver versions we have tried so far. I will let you know the results.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
BJurg
Beginner

The Intel Processor diagnostic tool gave me a "PASS" on all tests. I do NOT plan to re-install the operating system. Just too much at stake if something should go wrong. However, because of the "Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered" issues, I have been working from the Microsoft forum and have performed many "sfc /scannow" and "DISM - Restore Health" functions -- all to no avail. I have also noticed that these "System Events warnings" are posted in many places by many people on the Internet, so I am not the only one with issues.

I had just used my "Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet" (I rarely use it, except for some special photo editing) and wonder if it could have caused interference. Short story, I unloaded the device and drivers, but there was no improvement with the pixilation or screen tearing.

I want to thank you for all your assistance in this matter. I still think the problem is some type of interference or incompatability with "Intel HD graphics 530", Windows 10 and maybe a third party application.

0 Kudos
BJurg
Beginner

I found a program "Microsoft Safety Scanner" (msert.exe). This program scans your system (slow - takes several hours) looking for issues/problems. My scan found several issues and removed them (most were from NirSoft utilities). This improved the issues with pixilation and tearing, but did NOT completely resolve the issue.

With "Google Earth" all my problems have been removed.

With "Microsoft games", I still have some screen tearing issues; but not as bad as before.

With "Micrsoft Edge", I am still getting pixels showing up in videos and/or "Display driver igfx … " errors (i.e. screen freeze and event ID 1401 in the system logs).

One point to mention about the "Microsoft Safety Scanner" (msert.exe), the download is only good for about 8 days. Then you have to delete the .exe and download a new one.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Uncle_Bern,

I can see that the problem still persists even after trying with the program you mentioned. Up to this point and in order to troubleshoot the issue in the best way, my recommendation is for you to either fully re-install the Operating System from scratch, or , contact the OEM (Manufacturer) and see if they have a way to do an operating system recovery.

I apologize for any inconveniences.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos