Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20709 Discussions

HD4000 Bugs/glitches

MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

I have to start a new thread.

i5-3570k-HD4000 Win 7 SP1 drivers 2696 and 2752, following issues noticed

- Final Fantasy XIV Benchmark: texture corruption and flickering seen in on scene. Here a screenshot: http://s1.directupload.net/images/120530/shlkrzr8.png http://s1.directupload.net/images/120530/shlkrzr8.png

- Dirt 2 (Steam version): (Bink?) videos on game start are very slow and choppy at ~12 fps, nothing major though

- Just Cause 2 Demo: stuck on loading screen on game start with every driver. Google says a lot of people suffer from this issue with other GPUs too but I never had this on my i5-2500k-HD3000

- all directx games: Anisotropic filtering not working when forced in control panel. Nothing new though because same story with HD3000. Bad for games without ingame AF option.

- various games like Gothic 2, Farming Simulator, UT2004/UMark: GPU Turbo frequency not working. HD4000 remains on the base frequency and therefore it runs much slower as it should. Some newer games had this issue with the 2696 driver. That's why 2752 is so much faster in Far Cry or Half-Life 2, it's fixed there. But some lesser-known games still suffer from it.

0 Kudos
46 Replies
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I
0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

Skyrim looks blurry too with user specific settings from picture 2. No HL2 specific bug then. Once again 15.31 2885 not affected.

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

HD4000 and HD3000 stays on base clock in Age of Mythology. My desktop HD4000 is fast enough to maintain stable 60 fps with base clock only, but on my Notebook with HD3000 fps can drop down to 30 fps in bigger fights.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, Yups,

are you have linear or random white dots on transparent textures in GTA4, as I mentioned here:

?

Is this common on HD4000?

(Sorry for my poor English.)

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

Can you make a screenshot where I can see the dots? Do you see white dots when running the ingame benchmark in GTA4?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Specifically for GTA4, amount of white dots depends on driver "quality" settings: for "performance" amount is higher, and for "ballanced" amount is acceptable (no linear textures edges).

I will make screenshots a bit later, but I always can see this bug with transparent textures (on any "quality" settings) when load game (wake up) in South Bohan safehouse: look on left curtain (on left window).

For some other games (Metro 2033, STALKERs) this effect is more annoying...

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

Not sure but quality setting in the driver might apply a negative lod which is nonsense. I have made 2 screens from Metro 2033 (low settings 720p) and will see how it looks on my dedicated card in a couple of minutes. Are you playing with AA in Metro or Stalker?

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

I don't see white dots in Metro 2033. I only reviewed the start menu and first scene though. There are dot like particles in the air but that's a graphics effect which looks same on my dedicated card.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

No-no, dust particles is normal, I do not have them in mind.

My other comp with same hardware but with nvidia (asus gtx690) does not have such visual artifacts, anything like this: no structured on whole screen flickering dot grids in shadows, no lines of white dots here and there...

Well, I need to instal Fraps and will make screenshots and videos tomorrow... You will see why I'm upset.
0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

You have to make a better documentation with videos and screenshots. Also graphics options are important. I have no idea what I've to look for. In Metro 2033 I haven't seen oddly dots, maybe I have to play further or it is visible only with certain graphic options.

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Yups wrote:

Skyrim looks blurry too with user specific settings from picture 2. No HL2 specific bug then. Once again 15.31 2885 not affected.

Yeah the 15.31 2885 drivers are pretty good so far, I hope a new version of these gets officially released soon (though the new control panel is a bit sparse compared to the older one)

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

I preferred the old Control Panel design to be honest.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yups,

I made some screenshots. Look at them, please:

It may be a hardware failure? Or someone else sees such a thing?

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

New 15.28 series 2932 drivers out :-

64bit:http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22375 Download Center

32bit:http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22373 Download Center

Links seem to be down at the moment though.

Release notes: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/22375/eng/releasenotes_gfx_2932_64.pdf http://downloadmirror.intel.com/22375/eng/releasenotes_gfx_2932_64.pdf

No OpenCL 1.2 like the 15.31 2885 though, still OpenCL 1.1

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Just briefly tested these, another disappointing 15.28 release unfortunately.

GPU CapsViewer still fails on the HW Geometry Instancing test (was fixed on 15.31 2885) and is still a bit slower than 15.31 2885 in many other tests too. A shame that a lot of regressions that have already been fixed in the Beta driver are still present in the official release, this is getting to be a bit of a joke tbh.

Oh well, back to 15.31 2885 then...

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

Was fixed is an incorrect description. You cannot compare 15.28 and 15.31. They are based on a different stack. But I have to agree, the big issues mentioned in this thead won't get a fix for 15.28 series. Not a big issue for Ivy Bridge users because 15.31 series has almost all fixed but a bad thing for Sandy Bridge users.

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Yups wrote:

Was fixed is an incorrect description. You cannot compare 15.28 and 15.31. They are based on a different stack.

Agreed, that's fair enough and correct.

But end result is that the 15.31's are still the best performing drivers, especially for any gaming.

Just simply testing the 15.28 2932 in Batman: Arkham City, at 720p, High Details, FXAA (High) using the default inbuilt benchmark, the minimum FPS drops as low as 10 during the run (average FPS is 39, maximum FPS is 52)

Now look at how well the 15.31 2885 driver performs with the same settings :-

More than double the minimum FPS!, and a better average and maximum score also, which is noticeably smoother in the game, it's a huge difference.

The 15.28 drivers seem to be getting slower after each revision which is really odd too, almost embarrassingly so, I have no idea what's going on there...

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

I know 15.31 can be substantially faster, especially in those games with low clock bug (HL2, Far Cry 2, Gothic 2 and surely a lot more). The 2885 (beta) build from 15.31 stack had some bugs though, 3dmark11 freezed for example. For Ivy Bridge users the weak 15.28 performances is no big deal with the upcoming 15.31 series in mind. It's only a problem for Sandy Bridge users. In some games they should use the older 15.26 series.

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Yups wrote:

I know 15.31 can be substantially faster, especially in those games with low clock bug (HL2, Far Cry 2, Gothic 2 and surely a lot more). The 2885 (beta) build from 15.31 stack had some bugs though, 3dmark11 freezed for example.

Yeah it's not perfect (though 3DMark11 seems to run okay for me), but it's the best driver I've used so far in terms of performance and game compatibility.

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

Strange. What 3dmark11 version are you using?

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Yups wrote:

Strange. What 3dmark11 version are you using

Just 1.0.3, here's my compare link :-

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5625065 Intel HD Graphics 4000 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i3-3225,ASRock H77M-ITX score: P765 3DMarks

0 Kudos