Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

HD4000: mouse cursor jumping when mouse pointer is changing

idata
Employee

I'm running Win 8 (64) on my new HP EliteBook 8470p.

After connecting my secondary monitor (old Acer, 1280x1024) I noticed that whenever the mouse cursor is changing, for example while moving the pointer over a form field or text in firefox or moving it over the "border" of an application window, it's "jumping" a bit. This is quite irritating and also slowing down my workflow.

I reinstalled Windows, updated the HD4000 driver to the latest version (before that I tried the one from the HP support site, their driver is a bit older), without being able to solve the issue. The only thing that seems to work is to only use one screen. Otherwise my system is working fine.

I've searched the forum and found this message, that seems to describe a similar dual problem:

http://communities.intel.com/message/85665# 85665 http://communities.intel.com/message/85665# 85665

Thank you very much for your help!

Kind regards from Vienna (Austria),

Patrick

1 Solution
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Hello everyone. Our latest driver has just been released, which should have the fix for this issue. Refer to this link for more information; /docs/DOC-19855 http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-19855

Let me know if there are still issues!

Thanks,

-Nic

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
42 Replies
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Hi Patrick,

I've been able to reproduce this issue on our end using our latest driver (2875) as well as our second latest driver (2867). I will forward this to the proper folks to take a look at.

Thank you,

-Nic

idata
Employee

Hi Nic,

thank you very much, I appreciate it!

Today I've tried it with a different monitor, same effect.

But something else interesting I've noticed: When I am watching a video while working - using more graphics power i suppose (RAM?) - the problem seems to disappear. For example, I am streaming a video in a browser window. All is fine. As soon as I am closing the window or even only hiding it behind another tab, the mouse cursor again is starting to "hang" or "jump".

Well, I am happy that you could reproduce the problem, this gives me hope for a solution or maybe an improvement with a future driver.

Again, thank you very much,

Patrick

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I´ve got the same problem and i could reproduce it on different machines.

idata
Employee

Same here! Very annoying! I got this problem when doing a driver update through Windows Update.

I also experience reduced performance in League of Legends.

Is it possible to downgrade to an earlier version of the driver?

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Hi guys,

I have two pieces of updated information for you about this issue;

1. A future version of the driver will contain the fix for this issue. I'll let you know which one that is when it comes out.

2. We've re-hosted the Win8 Beta Drivers on the download center if you want to revert to them, as they are the only ones for Win8 we can post that did NOT have this issue. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21757&keyword=2792&lang=eng Download Center

Thanks for your patience!

-Nic

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I forgot to mention that I'm running Windows 7 and have a dual monitor setup.

So the same problem is present in the Windows 7 64bit driver.

When will there be a driver update, and is it possible to revert to a previous driver version that do not have this issue?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The Win7 (64) Driver has the same bug.

Win7 64 driver Version without "mouse jumping bug": 8.15.10.2761

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you, Nic! I'm running the beta driver now - without problems so far. I will continue using it until you can inform us about a release that includes the fix for the issue.

Kind regards,

Patrick

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

BTW: The mentioned beta driver GFX_Win8_64_9.17.10.2792_PV.exe is a Win7 + Win8 driver. So you can use it with Win7.

0 Kudos
PKara2
Beginner

Many thanks for making GFX_Win8_64_9.17.10.2792_PV.exe available again. Replacing the current version of the driver with this previous beta has helped largely alleviate a very annoying problem in Microsoft Word 2010 (32bit) running under Windows 8 (64bit) on a Dell Vostro 3450 with i5 2430m utilizing the HD3000 cpu graphics.

I use Word with a citation add-in from Endnote X6. As soon as this add-in was installed, each press of a cursor key in Word started to be accompanied by an hourglass circle at the mouse pointer location, and text insertion point movement became extremely slow. If the mouse pointer was to be moved outside of the Word window, the hourglass would not appear and text insertion point movement with the cursor keys would return to its normal speed.

After replacing the 9.17.10.2875 driver with the 9.17.10.2792 beta the hourglass no longer appears after each cursor key press, but only very briefly when a cursor key is held to activate character repetition.

0 Kudos
PKara2
Beginner

My initial experimentation suggests that the problems described in this thread are not resolved in the new 15.28.12.2932 driver (or 9.17.10.2932, as reported in the Intel Graphics and Media CP). Should we revert again to the 9.17.10.2792 beta? Any ideas as to if and when this frustrating problem will be resolved?

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Hi guys,

I'll let you know if/when there is a fix available. Thanks for checking up

-Nic

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I do not understand the problem:

Hi Patrick,

I've been able to reproduce this issue on our end using our latest driver (2875) as well as our second latest driver (2867). I will forward this to the proper folks to take a look at.

Thank you,

-Nic

and

Hi guys,

I have two pieces of updated information for you about this issue;

1. A future version of the driver will contain the fix for this issue. I'll let you know which one that is when it comes out.

2. We've re-hosted the Win8 Beta Drivers on the download center if you want to revert to them, as they are the only ones for Win8 we can post that did NOT have this issue. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21757&keyword=2792&lang=eng Download Center

Thanks for your patience!

-Nic

and now intel releases a new driver with the same bug  

and you write

Hi guys,

I'll let you know if/when there is a fix available. Thanks for checking up

Is this a joke?

What made intel all the time? They played Playstation or what?

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Sorry, I was being general. The driver with the fix is not ready yet. I'll let you know when it is, and is available.

-Nic

0 Kudos
PKara2
Beginner

I am surprised that a serious problem such as this one has not been made top priority. I expect that on most machines that have Microsoft Word installed with a couple of add-ins this renders Word next to unusable for work on longer documents. There are other problems with the 9.17.10.2792 beta driver which is the newest Windows 8 one that is free from the problem, and having to go back to it again is disappointing and inconvenient.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@nic: It's not your fault

I installed the new driver and the stutter is still there.

If you read the release notes, then intel has fixed totally unimportant things.

I am surprised that a serious problem such as this one has not been made top priority.

absolutely !!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I agree with the other guys, it's quite surprising that a bug like this is being carried over to a new release of the driver - or that it wasn't discovered early enough during internal testing, to include the fix.

Still, thanks nic, for keeping us informed!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Any update on this nic? Just got a HP 9470m with the HD4000 graphics card. I have the same problem as described here.

Weirdly enough, it comes and goes, though. I am not sure what triggers it to stop and start happening but it definitely goes away sometimes.

Seems to only happen when I have external monitors attached too. Never happens without monitors attached.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Update as requested. This issue has been resolved. The fix will be in a future release of the Intel HD Graphics driver. I will post an update when it is available on Download Center.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I disagree that problem has been resolved as customers do not have a fix in hand, but I digress.

Thanks for the information. I'll check back regularly.

0 Kudos