Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

HD4000: mouse cursor jumping when mouse pointer is changing

idata
Employee

I'm running Win 8 (64) on my new HP EliteBook 8470p.

After connecting my secondary monitor (old Acer, 1280x1024) I noticed that whenever the mouse cursor is changing, for example while moving the pointer over a form field or text in firefox or moving it over the "border" of an application window, it's "jumping" a bit. This is quite irritating and also slowing down my workflow.

I reinstalled Windows, updated the HD4000 driver to the latest version (before that I tried the one from the HP support site, their driver is a bit older), without being able to solve the issue. The only thing that seems to work is to only use one screen. Otherwise my system is working fine.

I've searched the forum and found this message, that seems to describe a similar dual problem:

http://communities.intel.com/message/85665# 85665 http://communities.intel.com/message/85665# 85665

Thank you very much for your help!

Kind regards from Vienna (Austria),

Patrick

1 Solution
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Hello everyone. Our latest driver has just been released, which should have the fix for this issue. Refer to this link for more information; /docs/DOC-19855 http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-19855

Let me know if there are still issues!

Thanks,

-Nic

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
42 Replies
idata
Employee

I'd really like this to happen soon.

IT department has upgraded to Windows 8 to begin testing for campus wide roll out. We all have dual (or even tri) monitors and this is a real annoyance.
0 Kudos
PKara2
Beginner

Just to report that, after extensive testing, I can confirm that with respect to the "mouse pointer changing" problem the behaviour of my laptop, both on its built-in display only, and with an external monitor attached, is just the same as with the previous driver. As a result, I have re-installed the 9.17.10.2792 beta driver, with which a particular older program that I frequently use (PCModel, molecular modelling), does not work at all, but having Microsoft Word behave properly is somewhat more important.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have this same problem. The mouse pointer stutters when passing over the edges of windows or text fields. It seems as if the pointer *must* change from arrow into text input and back to arrow, no matter how fast the mouse is moving over that field. This may be related, but in IrfanView, when dragging around a picture by right-click-hold-and-drag, it's very jerky. When mouse pointer trails are turned on, it's very smooth. However, with pointer trails turned on, when "hide pointer while typing" is unchecked, it still hides the pointer. Regardless, every time the pointer passes over a field that would change it's icon, it stutters.

Intel HD Graphics 4000

Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64

DirectX 11

16GB RAM, i7 3770K CPU

Video BIOS: 2132.0

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

when can we expect the patch with the fix for this annoying problem finally??

idata
Employee

I'd also like to know when this will finally be patched.

Just release a hotfix, if you have already resolved the issue. It has been 3 (!!!) months, since first error reports were posted. This is getting really annoying.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I rolled back to a driver (8.5.x) from November 2011 to solve this problem as I also noticed the jumping cursor especially in MS Outlook with the latest driver release (HD4000 3770k W7 x64). Really annoying!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Did you manage to get the 8.5 driver rolling on win8? THat was my first try when I upgraded and suddenly I couldn't log in anylonger.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi all,

i can confirm the Problem as well. I am runing a Lenovo T430s Laptop with also the Intel HD Graphics. My Scenario is Laptop in Dockingstation (Lid closed) 1x external Screen on VGA Port 2x Screen on Displayport.

I tried also a couple of older Drivers, Windows 7 and Windows 8 on that machine... everytime the same issue. My current Driver is: 9.17.10.2932

Check this out: If i start my VMware Workstaion (9) with an Win7 VM and start inside of that VM a simple Video-File (mpg, divx etc.) the Mouseover sticking whatever-problem is gone.!! Even if i pause the Video.

Maybe that helps to investigate that Problem?!?!

Cheers

0 Kudos
PKara2
Beginner
0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

As per Robert_U, an update by Intel® will be provided to this thread when the solution-containing driver has been posted.

Thank you for your continued patience,

-Nic

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Hello everyone. Our latest driver has just been released, which should have the fix for this issue. Refer to this link for more information; /docs/DOC-19855 http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-19855

Let me know if there are still issues!

Thanks,

-Nic

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Good Job

The driver runs fine!! No mouse cursor jumping !

Tested on multiple machines.

Greetings !!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Working great so far... I'm happy.

Thank you for the support!

Patrick

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, i also can confirm that everything runs now smooth on my T430s Lenovo with 3 external Displays (1x Analog, 2x Digital)

Cheers

0 Kudos
PKara2
Beginner

This is still an issue for those of us with the older HD3000 cpu graphics. Are you planning to propagate the fix into the HD2000/3000 drivers, as well?

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Hi peterk,

You are the first person I'm aware of that reported this as an issue on HD 3000 - as such we only created the fix for HD 4000/2500. Can you confirm what driver version you have installed, which browsers it is effecting, if it is effecting the cursor outside of a browser, and if you have your browsers fully updated?

Thank you,

-Nic

0 Kudos
PKara2
Beginner

Hi Nic,

My problem is essentially the one described in post no 10 /message/172817# 172817 http://communities.intel.com/message/172817# 172817. In the meantime, I have switched over to Office 2013 and the graphics driver from Win64_152815.exe, but the problem is still there. I am running a fully updated Windows 8 64bit and use the latest Internet Explorer and Firefox.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
PKara2
Beginner

Thanks, but this is the driver that I am using at the moment, and with which I still have problems, as described in post no 37.

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Hi peterk,

I have just tested out the cursor lag on HD 3000 with both the 2932 and 3062 drivers. I was unable to reproduce the cursor lag. Additionally I re-tested 2932 and 3062 (as well as 3071) on HD 4000, and I was able to reproduce the cursor lag with only the 2932 driver (this is expected behavior as the fix was not in that driver).

Thanks,

-Nic

0 Kudos
PKara2
Beginner

Hi Nic,

Thanks for doing this. The driver that I am using at the moment is the 3062 driver under Windows 8 (64bit) on a Dell Vostro 3450 with i5 2430m with HD 3000. I cannot notice any cursor lag in Firefox 20.0.1 and IE 10.0.4. However, I am continuing to have problems with Microsoft Word (now upgraded to 2013, 32bit), as described in post 10 from this discussion /message/172817# 172817 http://communities.intel.com/message/172817# 172817. The problems disappear if I go back to the 2792 beta driver, and there are no problems whatsoever on my desktops machines, which run the same combination of programs, but have NVidia cards (GTS250 and GTX560Ti, respectively, with the latest drivers). Perhaps the problems with Word and certain add-ins, such as Endnote X6 (very popular in various university/research environments) are related to some other part of the driver, but the fact is that the 2792 driver works reasonably well, and all later drivers exhibit the annoying "hourglass" delay upon navigating a document with the cursor keys.

0 Kudos