Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20590 Discussions

HDMI sound lost

BAlve2
Beginner

I have two windows 7 PCs with i3-6100 providing graphics and sound through HDMI. Both of them sporadically have the HDMI sound go away. Typically, the playback audio devices no longer shows an entry for "Intel(R) Dispay Audio" and has a red X. Typically I can fix it by uninstalling the "Intel(R) Display Audio" driver and then scan for hardware changes to reinstall it. Occasionally it is more complicated, but if this could be fixed it would be a huge improvement. One of the PCs is an HTPC where it is very user un-friendly to have to pull out a mouse and walk through the steps to reinstall to get sound working, particularly for family members who just want to watch recorded TV.

Currently I am running the 4463 driver. I tried the 4501 driver but it seemed markedly worse with respect to hitting this problem. Of course I could have just been unlucky since it is sporadic. However we still hit it almost every day at least once. I attached the SSU for the HTPC taken while I had the "red X". The HTPC is connected to an Insignia 37 inch TV via HDMI. I have also hit the problem on a desktop PC connected to a HP 2310m display. Any ideas on how to avoid this problem or track it down so it can be fixed?

0 Kudos
27 Replies
BAlve2
Beginner

I'd be willing to try it if I could get it. I don't see 4534 available on the Intel driver download site, and google doesn't find any Intel source for it.

Here is the download page I get to for 6th gen processor graphics drivers for Windows 7 64 bit: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/97502/Graphics-for-6th-Generation-Intel-Processors Downloads for Graphics for 6th Generation Intel® Processors

At this point I have tried just about every non-Beta driver listed there, as well as the latest greatest Beta.

0 Kudos
SGapu
New Contributor I

4534 is Microsoft version, you have to download it through Device Manager as I said.

Just install an older version and update it.

0 Kudos
BAlve2
Beginner

Ok, got 4534 from windows update and it failed instantly. This was in a worse way, where the Intel Display Audio device is not even listed under the sound controllers. This happens sometimes with the other drivers, so it might be bad luck. But it is a pain, because the only way to fix it is to reboot and hope or to reinstall a different driver.

0 Kudos
SGapu
New Contributor I

What OS do you use? Windows 7? What is this, 2008?

0 Kudos
BAlve2
Beginner

Windows 7, 64 bit, fully updated. Google does find the Red X problem with Intel Graphics HDMI audio going back quite a ways.

0 Kudos
SGapu
New Contributor I

Just install Windows 10, problem solved. I got Windows 10 and don't have this problem anymore.

Why are you still using a dead OS like Windows 7 in 2016?

0 Kudos
BAlve2
Beginner

Some people are fans of Windows Media Center. It is still the best PC DVR software, even being ignored for 6 years. If Win10 had WMC, I would give it a try. Without it, I am digging in and holding on to Win7 as long as I can.

0 Kudos