Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21075 Discussions

HEVC encoder and decode support

RamashankarAgrahari

Hi,

I would like to understand the dependency/requirement of HEVC HW accelerated encode/decode feature in Intel Media SDK.

What I understand that, HEVC support was provided in Media SDK initially as a plug-in based (separate dlls) component, probably to support on some older generation hardware. But later, on more advanced CPU/GPU, this additional plugin/dlls were not required and it was supported by inbuilt intel driver or hardware itself.

Is this understanding correct? If yes, then I would like to know:

1. From which hardware generation this inbuilt support started?

2. How I can detect early whether my underlying hardware is going to support in-built HEVC hw encode/decode or not? I don't want to wait till decoder/encoder init function fails.

3. Can Media SDK implementation version help in this detection? Means from any specific version onwards HEVC is supported?

I tried exploring this information over media sdk and HEVC manuals but couldn't find the concrete info.

I have used 'Intel(R) Media SDK 2019 R1' and sample code version 8.4.27.25 in one of our legacy product for H264 hw encode/decode. I started using HEVC encode/decode in same code base. It works on some new hardware (11th gen i7-1165G7, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, Media Sdk API 1.35) but fails on some older hardware (4th gen i3-4020Y, Intel HD Graphics Family, Media SDK API 1.20).

So my motive is to detect early and then decide whether to choose HEVC or H264 encoding.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @RamashankarAgrahari  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I hope you are great. 

Due to this product (Intel® HD Graphics 4200) being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it. You may also find the Discontinued Products website, helping to address your request.    

You can verify this product's discontinuance status in the following article: Support Options for Discontinued Intel® Graphics Products 

Regarding your active products such as Intel® Iris Xe Graphics, contact the correct community forum for support for all your inquiries and more: Media (Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK) 

Thank you for your understanding. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @RamashankarAgrahari  

I hope you are doing great. 

As we have not heard back from you, we will proceed to close this thread now. I hope you could see my last post. 

If you need any further assistance with other matters, please feel free to contact us back and submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos