Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20620 Discussions

Halo infinite Latest Intel Driver Hybrid Graphics.

JamieLinux
Beginner

Just a heads up the latest intel graphics driver version 30.0.101.1191 Dated 12/14/2021 break game compactivity with Halo Infinite and other games like Forza Horizon 5 which causes exception code 0xe343000a fault offset 0x000000000004478c Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll (Only when that graphics driver is installed). Rolling back to the previous driver versions fix the error. 

Steps I used to repo; fresh windows install with nothing but stock fresh windows 11 install with updated Nvidia driver but default intel driver.  Games work fine

Step 2 Updated intel driver on the system to latest driver for passthrough and the driver would toss that error when trying to load Halo or Forza.

Step 3 reverting driver to default windows intel driver and or driver from November of 2021 also corrects the error.

System specs for testing 

Intel i7 6700hq

GTX 970m 
IntelHD 530
32 GB DDR 4 2666 memory

Note:  that the game will attempt to load with the latest driver however the driver also blocks the software from actually picking up the Nvidia GPU in these games and there is no way to force them to a specific GPU as the driver Ignores the OS dedicated GPU function.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

JamieLinux, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the motherboard?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

Is this a new computer?

When did you purchase it?

Is there any particular reason why you updated the graphics driver to version 30.0.101.1191?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes besides updating the graphics driver that might cause this problem?

Which specific Windows* 11 version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JamieLinux
Beginner

What is the model of the motherboard: Asus 

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it Asus GL502VT

Is this a new computer NO

When did you purchase it  8 years ago

Is there any particular reason why you updated the graphics driver to version 30.0.101.1191

Intel driver and support assistant said there was an update to the intel drivers. 

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes besides updating the graphics driver that might cause this problem?  Fresh install of windows 11 because normal install exhibited the same issues. 

Which specific Windows* 11 version are you using?

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎12/‎27/‎2021
OS build 22000.376

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.376.0

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment.  Home

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

JamieLinux, Thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

When it comes to games, we always recommend first to check the game requirements to make sure your system complies with them since some of them require an intensive graphics performance.

Based on the details shown in the SSU document, we can confirm that the graphics driver version currently installed on your computer is 27.20.100.8681.

It is very important also to mention that the Intel® graphics drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your specific device. For that reason, we always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

I looked in ASUS's website and the first thing I noticed is that Windows* 11 is not validated as fully compatible with your machine, actually, the drivers provided by ASUS are for Windows* 10. The latest graphics driver version available for your laptop is V20.19.15.4352, which is the proper driver for your computer tested and validated by ASUS. In this case, we recommend to do a clean installation of that driver following the instructions in the links below, keeping in mind that the driver is for Windows* 10:

https://www.asus.com/us/SupportOnly/GL502VT/HelpDesk_Download/

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

Additionally, we advise to get in contact with ASUS support directly to confirm if Windows* 11 is fully compatible with your laptop, if they have a specific graphics driver version for Windows* 11 and to verify that the latest BIOS version is currently installed in your machine or, if necessary, to gather the instructions on how to do that:

https://www.asus.com/support/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
JamieLinux
Beginner

Thank you for the reply, yes because I rolled the driver back because the latest driver's broke functionality with specific games.  I do know the system requirements of the games I did test, and they ran fine with an older intel driver with the latest Nvidia drivers.  The latest intel driver breaks compatibility with Halo and Forza and a few other MS games, as the latest driver disables the ability for those games to swap to the dGPU and then crash with that error code. So, the problem is not the system but the latest Intel driver, I even reverted the driver I can upload a new SSU if you like using the November driver 30.0.14.9729 of 2021 does not exabit this behavior. 

My goal was not to get a trouble shooting tips about how to fix the issue as I already fixed the issue by reverting the driver from the latest intel driver for the intel 530 back to the November driver which will actually properly use optimus and not break system functionality.  Also as of note, the November driver can actually launch the game if I force the iGPU and it will run without crashing the game. Granted the game is slow and there is texture issues and I would never recommend doing that but still it is showing the latest Intel driver from December has bugs.   As far as contacting Lenovo why would you recommend me contacting Lenovo as the system tested on is from ASUS...

Ps next time please read the report that is given in full detail before replying to it thanks. The steps that you are providing are somewhat right, but you are recommending the wrong manufacture.  However, I have never had issues with Intel Drivers on any Asus laptops and reaching out to ASUS they do not actually customize the Generic Intel drivers outside of installation branding.  Once again thank you for the support however I would still like you to forward the issue to the driver team as it still doesn't change the fact the latest driver has issues with gpu swapping and some games crashing which did not happen in the previous driver version from last month.

PPS to give other context I can wipe the entire intel driver off the system and still load and run the game with the Windows basic driver + Nvidia and the game will load.  IT will be choppy because of the way the basic driver works however it doesn't crash.  Just to give even more context on a fresh system install that the latest driver is borked.

0 Kudos
JamieLinux
Beginner

Thank you for the reply however the requirements are not the issue.  The system meets the minimum requirements needed. The issue came from the December update of the intel drivers break system functionality by overriding the dgpu swapping for some games.  Halo is one of them which in turn causes the exception code 0xe343000a fault offset 0x000000000004478c Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll.  Reverting the driver to the November 2021 or earlier stops this from happening.  The system report I generated was with the driver reversion already happening do to the latest driver broke compatibility with hybrid graphics systems. 

I do understand the drivers are generic however Asus does not customize the intel drivers in anyway and they do recommend grabbing the latest drivers from the respective websites always.  Windows 11 is not officially supported however I can also reproduce this on windows 10 as a dual boot environment with the same effects.  Lastly, I would not contact Lenovo support for an ASUS laptop.  Can you please forward the report and error codes to the intel driver team thanks as they will need to fix the driver.   

Also note that the latest intel driver also blocks the functionality of proper gpu swapping in hybrid systems with some games like halo and forza.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

JamieLinux, You are very welcome, thank you very much for sharing those details.

"I would not contact Lenovo support for an ASUS laptop", first, let me apologize for any inconvenience, I meant to say ASUS support.

"Can you please forward the report and error codes to the intel driver team thanks as they will need to fix the driver." Yes, of course, for Intel® it is very important the feedback, comments, and suggestions provided by all of our clients, so, I will send your comments to the proper department as you requested for them to be aware of your remarks on this matter in order to keep improving the customer's experience while using Intel® products.

Since the Intel® drivers do not contain the customizations done by ASUS, it is also very important to get in contact directly with them to report this scenario, to check if they have a specific graphics driver for this situation, to verify if they can replicate the issue using the same exact laptop you are currently working with and if there is a fix that they need to add to their customized driver. If that is the case, they will work with Intel® internally on trying to add a fix to the driver that is available on their website:

https://www.asus.com/support/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
JamieLinux
Beginner

The ASUS intel drivers are just that the Intel drivers they have 0 modification from ASUS.  I reached out to them, and they just advised to download the latest intel drivers. So once again thanks for forwarding the issues to the intel team. 

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello JamieLinux, You are very welcome, thank you very much for letting us know those updates.

"I reached out to them, and they just advised to download the latest intel drivers", Perfect, excellent, we always advise to report this kind of issue directly to the computer's manufacturer since they also play a very important role in this type of scenarios working along with Intel® to try to find a fix for this issue in a future graphics driver release.

"So once again thanks for forwarding the issues to the intel team.", Sure, no problem, we are glad to help and all the details on this forum will be sent to them in order to try to find a possible solution for the game to run properly as soon as possible.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos