Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20621 Discussions

Has anyone tried making a recovery volume using two western digital EARS drives? (4K LBA sectors)

rjal
New Contributor I

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has tried making a recovery volume using two western digital EARS drives. I have just purchased 2 WD20EARS to be used as one a master drive and one recovery drive. I've succesfully cloned my old drive to one of the WD20EARS drives. Everything works, windows boots correctly and works fine so no problems there. I have a ICH9R chipset with Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager 8.9.0.1023 on windows 7 x64. I've used this feature before but then it was on two WD10EADS drives (512 bytes LBA sectors). these new rives have 4Kbytes LBA sectors. The raid driver is loaded and I can see both new drives in the Intel(R) Matrix Storage Console.

However, the drives are reported as having 512Bytes sectors. The jumpers are the drive are correctly set, the WD align tool reports that 4K sectors are in use and aligned so that part is OK. I seems as if the Console is unable to detect this althought the RAID driver is able to use this.

The result seems to be that I'm unable to make a recovery volume. I can go through the wizard but when I click finish, I get a message saying the the creation of a recovery volume has failed.

Anyone have any ideas what this is and how to fix it ?

Thanks

Robert.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
rjal
New Contributor I

Ok I've upgraded to driver version 9.5. Every thing still works but I think I've found the problem. In the new driver master disks that are larger than 1.325TB are not shown (see help file). Mine are 2TB so that explains it. However anyone know where this weird value comes from ? I would expect 1TB of 2TB not this number.

0 Kudos