Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20707 Discussions

How can I connect to an Apple Thunderbolt Display

PPate8
Novice

I have a laptop (a Lenovo Yoga 920) with Thunderbolt ports powered by an Intel Thunderbolt JHL6540 chip, which gets identified as a 15D2 controller.

When I plug in an Apple Thunderbolt Display, I am asked whether to connect to the display, but then nothing happens and the display doesn't turn on. There must be something missing, but what? I'm running driver 17.1.64.6, which is current, under Windows 10 Home 1709.

The same display (and Thunderbolt 3-to-2 converter) works with a Dell laptop that contains an older Intel Thunderbolt chip running an older driver, so it is possible to make this work under Windows 10.

38 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello all,

We appreciate your patience while we were doing research about this display issues.

It seems that this problem should be reported and handled by your system manufacturer since we have tested other displays and Thunderbolt* 3 adapters successfully. Most likely this is a compatibility issue.

Most recent configuration we successfully used for Thunderbolt* 3 included :

- Intel NUC7i5BNK

- Startech TB3 Dual-4K docking station part# TB3DK2DPW

- Acer B286HK 4K monitor via DP 1.2

- LG OLED55E6P via DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapter

- Both monitor and TV were successfully recognized and worked fine while using the Thunderbolt* 3 docking listed.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
kmore2
Beginner

I have the same issue, I connect the thunderbolt display with the official Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3, to my MSI Workstation Laptop, and the Thunderbolt Software does recognize that the Apple Display is connected, but after "Allow always" and click ok, the display doesn't turn on.

0 Kudos
kmore2
Beginner
0 Kudos
SA6
Beginner

Hi, Ben.

Did you figure out how to fix this issue? Just got TB3 adapter for my Razer Blade 2018 and connectivity problem is the same. Seems like new laptops doesn't support Apple displays?

0 Kudos
PPate8
Novice

I have successfully connected an Apple Thunderbolt Display to an older Windows laptop running an older set of drivers so it is possible to drive the display from Windows.

My belief is that the reason is that this no longer works is that support for Thunderbolt 2 host hubs was dropped from the Intel Thunderbolt driver. Apple Thunderbolt Displays have a hub in them and that hub is unusual so it may have needed something that was dropped.

However I did not set up the laptop so it may also be that some special driver (from Apple?) was installed on it. I don't have access to the laptop at the moment and I'm not sure how to check which driver is used for a particular piece of hardware on Windows. If someone is willing to carry the fight further I can arrange to have the laptop connected to the display in mid-August and can run checks on it. That assumes that the laptop still has the same set of drivers and still works with the display.

peter

0 Kudos
BFree1
Beginner

Howdy...

This continues to be an issue... My HP Gen 7 laptop has no trouble connecting, but my Gen 8 laptop will not connect to the monitor.

I agree that this has something to do with dropped TB2 support from Intel... Although their last post on this thread basically said 'It's not our fault'

...INTEL: Can these driveres be rolled back to the ones that haven't dropped the TB2 support? I'd love to solve this for myself and all the other users with this issue...

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Ben

0 Kudos
kmore2
Beginner

It's sad that Intel or the laptop firm (MSI Workstation support) refuse to solve that problem: I've tried updating all drivers, as well as my laptop firmware and BIOS, also trying all de BIOS possible configurations, and downloading old Thunderbolt Software, and the issue remains, the Display stays disconnected. To much time wasted.

For the moment I decided to return the Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 dongle, and wait if it's solved in the future.

Best,

Kevin.

0 Kudos
AOdma
Beginner

Hi,

I have the same issue with my Razer Blade 15" (2018)

So according to Ben, a BIOS assisted device enumeration solves the issue on his Dell.

Does this mean that the other vendors just do not implement this feature in their BIOS if this option doesn't show up there?

Cheers,

Anders

0 Kudos
BFree1
Beginner

Howdy. I have an update for those watching this thread...

I have since sold my Gigabyte Aero 15 Laptop, and purchased a Dell XPS15... It had the exact same issue as the Gigabyte: The inability to connect to an Apple Thunderbolt Display via a TB3 to TB adapter... It would recognize the display was attached, but nothing came up...

Luckily, I was able to search the Dell forums, and found a solution...

In the BIOS, I disabled Thunderbolt Security, and also switched a setting from 'Native Enumeration' to 'Bios Enumeration'

After making these 2 changes and then booting, the Apple TB display pops up instantly the moment I connect the TB3 to TB adapter...

Also, the hub, ethernet, audio speakers, etc.. all seem to be working on the TB display...

There were no such thunderbolt settings in the Gigabyte laptop's BIOS that I have since sold...

VERY happy with this result. I hope this can help others out there...

Here's the original forum post on Dell that helped me:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Apple-Thunderbolt-Display-port-amp-XPS-15-Thunderbolt3-USB-C/m-p/6116974/highlight/true# M13817 Re: Apple Thunderbolt Display port & XPS 15 Thunderbolt3 - Dell Community

Best,

Ben

0 Kudos
CRoth5
Beginner

Hi Intel,

it seems this thread got stuck without a solution/ reply...

Is there any fix available? Have a brandnew Lenovo X1 Carbon and run into the same issues as per above.

Newest drivers etc.

Thanks lots !!

0 Kudos
HAlle2
Beginner

I am also having this same problem with my brand new ThinkPad T480s

0 Kudos
CBrad7
Beginner

Hi is there a resolution to this issue? I have exactly the same problem with brand new HP Spectre x360. Apple thunderbolt display stay black even though all the drivers and firmware are up to date. When plugging it in, the thunderbolt software pops up to ask for approval, but once given nothing more happens. The device is nver connected. Please advise!

0 Kudos
BMad0
Beginner

Hi,

Is there any update? I am having the exact same issue with a Zenbook UX550. I've attached SSU report.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
ANosr
Beginner

ughhh.. that sucks that this doesn't work yet.

0 Kudos
CHaye8
Beginner

I was able to get this to work by changing similar settings to the Dell in the BIOS on my HP X360 laptop. I disabled Thunderbolt security and unchecked the native PCIe hot plugging and everything works for me now. Apple Thunderbolt display with Apple Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter

0 Kudos
MatLuoma
Beginner

Key is - your windows machine needs a built in Thunderbolt 3... not just USB-C.

Tonight I successfully connected Lenovo ThinkPad T480 - using the  Thunderbolt 3 enabled USB C port (check which port your are using) and an Apple Official ThunderBolt 2 - 3 Adapter.

Note only 1 of the USB C ports has 'thunderbolt 3' - the other I USB-C for the ugly brick - power/charge for the laptop (as I don't think the Apple Thunderbolt 2 would successfully be powering /charging laptop)

Needed to muck with the BIOS settings ... and I used the following guide for starting point https://it.nmu.edu/docs/thinkpad-thunderbolt-3-dock-set

[[ Thunderbolt in BIOS Assist Mode" to “Enabled". Change the "Security Level" to either "No Security". This allows the eGPU to be plugged in to the Gen 6 without Windows errors.  ]]

See slide #4 settings, but after the 1st time reboot - I had a screen on both the laptop and the Apple Thunderbolt Display, but my  Software based Windows "Thunderbolt Settings" - promptly disabled the display as unapproved and then crashed the Thunderbolt App. (So I couldn't approve it..). Could be common or just part of the restrictions my work places on Company Devices.

Next time I hopped into BIOS - I made the Support in PreBoot Environment Disabled.... (so I don't match their screenshot exactly anymore) but it was enough to make it work.

Now every reboot I get a message "Thunderbolt Display may not work correctly"... but it is working so far - not bad -> $50 for adapter and keep the same monitor.

I also was able to get windows to set audio default to Thunderbolt Display (another reboot there)...

Monday will check on the video camera /microphone  

also may need to check the "MAC address Pass Through" settings as the NOTE describes on https://thinkdeploy.blogspot.com/2017/02/new-thinkpad-bios-settings-for.html

Good luck to those trying to use Apple Thunderbolt Display with your Win10 and THANKS to Northern Michigan University IT for the write up.

John_Wool
Beginner

Hi MatLuoma,

thank you for writing this up. I'm following this thread as I will likely face the same issues when I will get my new Lenovo Thinkpad Carbon X1 (G8) in a couple of weeks. I would love to keep using my Apple Thunderbolt Display though.

I do need it with all functionalities though (including sound and webcam). Can you write me a short reply on whether you got the webcam working as well? 

I will try to follow your steps when receiving the new Laptop and will share my experience then here with the forum as well. 

Sadly it seems like Intel is leaving this community here on it's own and doesn't offer an official resolution to the problem...

Thanks and Regards

John

0 Kudos
JimShank
Beginner

I'm also hoping for an official reply before I spend too much time and money trying to get the Apple Thunderbolt Display to work with a more modern Intel-based laptop with Thunderbolt (MSI GS66 Stealth 10UG-219). I've tried the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and, apart from Win10 playing disconnect sounds, every few seconds I don't see any devices show up in device manager nor any response from the display.

I've ordered the bulkier/more expensive Startech TBT3TBTADAP since it specifically mentions "COMPATIBLE WITH THUNDERBOLT DISPLAYS: This TB3 to TB2/TB1 adapter enables use of older Thunderbolt monitors (27" Apple Thunderbolt Displays/LG Ultrawide TB2 display) w/ certified Thunderbolt 3 laptops". 

I'd love to know if this is a driver issue (install older drivers) or an implementation issue of Thunderbolt by MSI, Dell and Lenovo. 

0 Kudos