Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

How can I run 4 monitors on HD 4600 GPU, Using a Tripp Lite Multi Stream Transport hub ?

MAnde32
Beginner

Hi there, I have HD 4600 GPU, on my computer itself it has 2 inputs for monitors, VGA and Display port. I went ahead and purchased a Tripp Lite MST hub. Display to 4 HDMI.

The problem I am having is that only 3 monitors are displaying using the MST HUB. I tried hooking up the 4th monitor seperatlly via VGA and the settings are recognizing it but it still will not display.

I have read that this graphics card only supports 3 monitors but I am determined that there must be a solution especially if the computer is detecting it but displaying the 4th.

I have a Lenovo think centre mini desktop. If there isnt a solution to this current graphics card can you please give me one!

Thank you in advancecomputer.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The embedded graphics engine supports three independent DisplayPort 1.2 output streams and a maximum of three monitors. If you use a MST Hub to support multiple monitors using a single output stream, this does not overcome the three monitors limitation. Three is the limit, period. Feel free to waste your time trying to overcome it, but you won't be successful. The additional monitors might be recognized but only three will receive output (the rest will remain blank).

There is a way that you can add additional monitor(s). This is using a USB 3.0 graphics adapter. Here are a few examples:

1. Single 1080p monitor: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-External-Monitor-Graphics-Adapter/dp/B00H91BQ7Y?th=1
  2. Single 4K monitor: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-External-Monitor-Graphics-Adapter/dp/B00OD37KHG
  3. Dual 1080p monitors: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-External-Monitor-Graphics-Adapter/dp/B0725K1MHH?th=1

A couple of comments:

• Connecting monitors via USB garners a lower-performance solution. You won't want to have games outputting to this monitor (it will slow game and output to all monitors).

• While it isn't an option for your Lenovo ThinkCentre M93P, a larger PC box could have a NVIDIA/AMD PCIe graphics card added to it and support an additional (up to three more) monitors.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MAnde32
Beginner

Thanks for the reply . So Im not very computer savy, but is there anyway around this ?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The embedded graphics engine supports three independent DisplayPort 1.2 output streams and a maximum of three monitors. If you use a MST Hub to support multiple monitors using a single output stream, this does not overcome the three monitors limitation. Three is the limit, period. Feel free to waste your time trying to overcome it, but you won't be successful. The additional monitors might be recognized but only three will receive output (the rest will remain blank).

There is a way that you can add additional monitor(s). This is using a USB 3.0 graphics adapter. Here are a few examples:

1. Single 1080p monitor: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-External-Monitor-Graphics-Adapter/dp/B00H91BQ7Y?th=1
  2. Single 4K monitor: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-External-Monitor-Graphics-Adapter/dp/B00OD37KHG
  3. Dual 1080p monitors: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-External-Monitor-Graphics-Adapter/dp/B0725K1MHH?th=1

A couple of comments:

• Connecting monitors via USB garners a lower-performance solution. You won't want to have games outputting to this monitor (it will slow game and output to all monitors).

• While it isn't an option for your Lenovo ThinkCentre M93P, a larger PC box could have a NVIDIA/AMD PCIe graphics card added to it and support an additional (up to three more) monitors.

Hope this helps,

...S

MAnde32
Beginner

Thanks a ton!!

This makes a lot more sense to me now. I am not doing any gaming of any sort just running charts for trading, if anything i will dedicate that monitor to something that wont the push the limits...

Using the external graphics card, do you think it could cause any issues with my computer considering the specs i have? I am tempted to go out and buy a larger PC unless this will handle my current set up. It has been a powerful little machine so far and fits my small space well.

0 Kudos
MAnde32
Beginner

Thanks a ton!!

This makes a lot more sense to me now. I am not doing any gaming of any sort just running charts for trading, if anything i will dedicate that monitor to something that wont the push the limits...

Using the external graphics card, do you think it could cause any issues with my computer considering the specs i have? I am tempted to go out and buy a larger PC unless this will handle my current set up. It has been a powerful little machine so far and fits my small space well.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Actually no, your machine should be powerful enough to handle this. I have been testing on Intel NUC design, including some having similar Core i5 processors.

A consideration for the future is that, while year on year per-core processor performance gains have been fairly small (conservative estimate of, say, ~5% per generation), the efficiency of the processors continues to improve and the power utilization to drop -- and yet you get more cores and more threads of execution! For example, the 28W Core i5-8259U, which is used in the 8th gen Intel NUC products (the NUC8i5BEK and NUC8i5BEH), offers 4 Cores and 8 Threads of execution. The 35W Core i5-8400T, which is used in the Lenovo ThinkCenter M720 (the latest generation equivalent of your M93P), offers 6 Cores and 6 Threads of execution. Bottom line, improved performance with a lower electric bill - until you add all of those monitors 😉.

...S

0 Kudos