Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20620 Discussions

How to get 3440x1440 @ 60hz on Intel HD 620 Graphics Card?

Jahnetik
Novice

I have a laptop with an i5-7200U processor and HD 620 graphics card which supports 4k @ 60hz. I'm using a Dell Ultrawide 3419w monitor that's capable of doing 3440x1440 at 60hz. It's running through a Premium Certified HDMI cable with HDMI 2.0

My issue is that I can only get 30hz at this resolution and have not been able to get a definitive answer on why i can't unlock 60hz. I've read that HDMI doesn't support 60hz and it needs to be DisplayPort but have also read that's not the case.

My drivers are all up to date and I've even looked into overclocking my monitor using custom resolutions but that proved useless.

Is there anything I can do or am I s*** out of luck with this graphics card?

Thanks
Jason

5 Replies
JohnW
Beginner

@Jahnetik I just purchased a 3440x1440 monitor, and am having the same exact issue. Found your post while researching the issue. Were you able to find a solution?

Thanks,

John

Jahnetik
Novice

Unfortunately no, I wasn't able to remedy the issue. It boils down to the limitations of my Acer F15 motherboard. Even though the HD 620 is capable of doing that resolution at 60 hz (so Intel says), my motherboard still limits it. Very frustrating.

Looked heavily into the HDMI port version I had, didn't seem to be any issues there. Cable's were fine.

Stuck with 30hz for now....

Cheers

n_scott_pearson
Super User

That is correct. If configured for direct HDMI output, the processor only supports HDMI 1.4, which will limit you to 30Hz. If you have a DisplayPort output, it will be DisplayPort 1.2 and, with a good DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter, you *can* get it to 60Hz. 

In some (the better) designs, the processor is configured for DisplayPort output and this output is fed into a LSPcon chip that then converts the output from DisplayPort 1.2 format to HDMI 2.0a format. In this case, you can get 60Hz support over HDMI - (Edit) and have support for HDR and HDCP 2.2.

Hope this helps,

...S

iMaaaccck
Beginner

Hi,

Have you tried the USB Type C to Display Port in the Monitor? There are cables that works for 4k @ 60hz using USB Type-C to Display Port cable. 

0 Kudos
Jahnetik
Novice

I didn't bother for a few reasons. The limitation is still at my motherboard for the USB-C connection. It's USB 3.1 and doesn't support things like DisplayPort Alternate Mode (DP Alt Mode). It just can't convert the signal. If it was USB 3.2, the USB-C to DP cable would work because it can already match DP and convert it.

I looked into it and found that I would need an actual converter box to change it to DP from my current USB-C 3.1 to get 60hz. So one cable from my comp to the box, than another cable from the box to the monitor. Can correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I came across. 

I bought a new PC anyway and the monitor now works great at 3440x1440 @ 60hz

0 Kudos