Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

How to reset MST Chaining

TSuck
Beginner

Previously I was able to daisy chain three U2415 monitors on a single displayport connection. A few days ago it "glitched" and turned one monitor into 640x480. In trying to reset this I ended up disconnecting the monitors and reconnecting them and deleting them from device manager. Now however I can only convince 2 monitors to function. For it to work I must disable DP1.2 on the middle monitor. If I enable DP1.2 on the middle monitor it freaks out and all monitors stop working. I've tried reinstalling various versions of the Intel driver.

Display Adapter: Intel HD Graphics 530

Note: The three monitor setup continues to function from my Dell laptop, just not my desktop.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Esteban_C_Intel
Employee

Hello TSuck,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

To better assist you, could you please provide run the Intel® System Support Utility for Windows* and share the results with me? You will find the tool at the following link.

Also, while researching I found this article that you may find helpful: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln295251/how-to-configure-u2415-monitor-daisy-chaining-on-intel-hd-graphics?lang=en

Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel®. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® for the merchants or services offered there.

Esteban Ch.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Esteban_C_Intel
Employee

Hello TSuck,

Were you able to check the recommendations provided in the previous post? If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Esteban Ch.

0 Kudos
TSuck
Beginner

Sorry for the delay, been a busy work week.

The link you posted was not helpful, it is already how I have my three monitors configured.

I attached to the support ticket the SSU output you requested.

After posting, my work laptop the next day also decided to glitch (also using intel graphics). I ended up swapping the order of the monitors in the chain and it began working again, including on my personal desktop. To try and reproduce the problem I put the arrangement back and it also is now working. I can't help but think something is remembering something and reassociating the MST hubs improperly. Reordering the monitors seems to clear that out and allow them to function again. This only seems to happen in my testing when two mst hubs are chained together (As is the case with three U2415 monitors). I did find today that the Intel Graphics control panel on the windows store has an additional feature that shows the "Displayport Topology" It appears to think when it is glitched that the second hub has no displays attached despite it being integrated into the display and should at least see one.

When the glitching occurs I wish I could click a button to reset the driver rather than futzing with cables just to put them back the way they were.

0 Kudos
TSuck
Beginner

Now that I futzed with it, it seems to have angered the graphics gods and only the one display is working again.

Annotation 2019-09-27 190855.png

0 Kudos
Esteban_C_Intel
Employee

Hello TSuck,

Thank you for your response and the information provided.

While checking the SSU reports I noticed that your BIOS is out of date, that you have 2 graphics cards installed (the Intel® integrated and a Radeon* one) but your motherboard's website does not indicate that your motherboard support's hybrid graphics, and that your RAM frequency is set above the supported by your processor.

Please contact your motherboard manufacturer (in this case Asus*) to get assistance on getting your BIOS up to date. Also, keep in mind that if you would like to use the Intel® graphics card and it's graphics functionalities you will have to remove the Radeon* graphics card.

Finally, if you do not want to long term damage your processor, correct the RAM frequency to a max of 2133MHz since it's the max frequency supported by your processor type.

Esteban Ch.

0 Kudos
TSuck
Beginner

I uploaded the SSU from my work laptop which shouldn't have the same concerns as the desktop in terms of discrete graphics. The laptop shows the same symptoms.

side note: I did find the setting for adjusting the ram frequency and set it to use the JEDEC timings (2133).

It is very hard to tell if the phenomenon (such as today I managed to have the middle monitor in the chain not come on but the first and third did) is due to the graphics driver or the monitors (U2415) themselves. I get the feeling that while a 3 monitor chain is "supported" it isn't really tested by Dell or Intel.

I need to remember to do more testing with Ctrl+alt+f8 when it misbehaves to see if I can recover it that way.

0 Kudos
Esteban_C_Intel
Employee

Hello TSuck,

Please try the following and let me know the outcome:

-Clean driver installation as follows:

1. Download the latest DCH driver and save it on the computer.
  2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update.
  3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel > Programs and Features.
  4. Restart the computer.
  5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4.
  6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager:
  • 6.1.1 Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device'
    • 6.1.2 In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked.
    • 6.1.3 Click on 'Uninstall'.
    • 6.1.4 Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter')
  1. Install the DCH driver that was downloaded on step 1.
  2. Restart the computer.
  3. Reconnect to the Internet.

-If issue persists, try a clean install of the OS, since each monitor leaves a registry entry; however, we do not support nor guide in modifying the registry.

Esteban Ch.

0 Kudos
Esteban_C_Intel
Employee

Hello TSuck,

Were you able to check the recommendations provided on the previous post? If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Esteban Ch.

0 Kudos
Esteban_C_Intel
Employee

Hello TSuck,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Esteban Ch.

0 Kudos