Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20500 Discussions

How to use entire display size of a secondary monitor

idata
Employee

Have notebook computer with 15.2" built-in display; attached a cable from notebook's display adapter to PC-In port on Toshiba TV; set TV to PC mode and on the notebook used Intel Graphics Medial Control Center's Multiple Display feature to Extend the desktop. I am able to drag windows from PC to TV and back, and watch multiple programs simultaneously; love it. The problem is I can only use 15.2" of TV screen.

To find out how to use full size of TV screen I downloaded Intel System Identification Utility. It identified my graphics as Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family. I clicked on link to technical information, but didn't know what to look for, so I came here. Can someone help me determine how to utilize the entire size of a secondary monitor when it is larger than the built-in display.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

You might just need to change the resolution of the signal that's going to the TV. Right-click anywhere on the desktop, and go to "Screen Resolution". You'll be able to set different resolutions each screen. Try setting the resolution on the Toshiba TV to the maximum available.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Resolution is 1280x800 on the built-in display and on the monitor resolution is 1360x768. Both are the maximum setting for resolution.

On the Intel Graphics Media Accelorator Control Panel there is a line named Monitor/TV Settings. Under this item it says, Monitor/TV Settings are not supported. Could this be relevant? I am not using a composite cable and I have the TV set to PC mode.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel provides a place for entering Custom Resolutions for secondary monitor. I'm having a problem figuring out what to

enter. Can someone help me.

Under Basic settings it has fields for width and height, Refesher rate, Color depth, Underscan percentage, and Timing standard.

• The display on the Toshiba TV is 16.4 inches by 9.0 inches. Width and height fileds will not accept 16.4 and 9.0
  • I think Ref rate should be 60HZ and Color Depth 32-Bit, but I don't know what to enter for Underscan percentage
  • Should I use GTF or CTV timing standard

Under Advance settings there are fileds for Pixel clock and Color depth. Followed by two columns, one for Horizontal the other Vertica. The same items appear in both columns.

• Front Porch
  • Back Porch
  • Sync with
  • Active
  • Sync Polarity
  • Scan Rate
  • Total

What goes in these fields? The Toshiba TV is set to WXGA 1360x768 signal format. Vertical frequency is 60.15Hz, Horizontal frequency is 47.712Hz. Pixel clock is 85.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Using the "Custom Resolutions" Option, is only recommended in extreme cases, when there is no other alternative. The settings you have mentioned are to be provided by the monitor manufacturer, and there is no way for us to know which ones match your monitor. Setting this menu incorrectly may cause hardware damage to your system and/or your screen.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Please ensure that the Picture Mode is set to Dot by Dot or Full Screen. This option is usually available from the TV Remote.

Let us know if you see it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok, will not use Custom Resolution option on the Display menu of Intel Graphics and Medioa Control Panel.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Unable to set scaling to Full Screen using Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel. When I click on Grahics Properties, Display, General Settings, and go to the settings for the Built-in Display, and choose scaling, the choices are Maintain Aspect Ratio, Scale Full Screen, Center Image. I checked Full Screen and then Apply. The screen turned off/on and the setting was still Maintain Aspect Ratio. For Monitor the scaling options were Maintain Display Scaling and Customize Aspect Ratio. When I checked Custom Aspect Ration and moved the bar for the Horizontal setting, then clicked Apply, the screen turned off/on and the setting remained Maintain Display Scaling. I can't find any way to resize the image being sent to the secondary displsay using Intel Graphics and Medial Control Panel with Toshiba 19C100U LCD TV, screen size class 19" but what if I had a 42" screen?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I don't see why this setting is not available, Kenneth. My best suggestion at this point would be to test a different monitor, to see if you have a different behavior.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jose,

I have a very similar problem. I have an Acer Aspire Timeline M5 with Intel 4000 graphics. I plugged in an Acer external monitor, chose the highest resolution, but only about 2/3rds of the screen is filled. My control panel does not give me an option to have a full screen display - only two options: maintain display scaling, or customise - where the settings are automatically at 100 wide and 100 high. So I can't get the display to show up in a full screen.

When I set the external monitor as my primary screen it fills the screen immediately and gets all the settings right.

Can you help?

0 Kudos