Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

I am connecting my 4K tv to laptop via hdmi 2 cable. The cable is showing transfer speed of 4 k at 60 hz. Tv hdmi has 4K 60 hz. Laptop is i7 8th gen with Intel 620 graphics and nvidia Mx 250. But TV display is showing only 29 hz at 4K but 60hz at Full HD

VRagh4
Novice

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The answer to this is simple: Cheap laptops will choose to have the HDMI connector directly driven by the Intel HD Graphics engine. In this case, because the processor can only output HDMI 1.4 format, the maximum it can support is 4K@30Hz. A better quality laptop will configure the Intel HD Graphics engine to output in DisplayPort 1.2 format and then provide a LSPcon chip that will convert the signal from DisplayPort 1.2 format to HDMI 2.0 format - which can support 4K@60Hz. Bottom line, If your HDMI connector will only support 4K@30Hz, then you have a cheap laptop (sorry). Now, If you are lucky, the laptop has a separate DisplayPort output connector or you have a USB-C connector that also supports DisplayPort Alternate Mode. In these cases, you can use an adapter to convert the DisplayPort signal to HDMI 2.0 format and thus support 4K@60Hz -- but, be very careful, there are a lot of cheap adapters out there that will only support 4K@30Hz. You need to look for one that specifically says that it will support 4K@60Hz. Also, watch out for adapters that claim 4K@60Hz, but have fine print that indicates that the adapter can only do so if the DisplayPort signal is in DisplayPort 1.4 format (since you have only DisplayPort 1.2 format, you will be limited to 4K@30Hz in this case).

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

5 Replies
VRagh4
Novice

Can someone please tell me why it’s only 29hz at 4K display. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Patience Grasshopper. It is the weekend.

Doc

0 Kudos
VRagh4
Novice

Well my weekend got over yesterday.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"Intel customer support is available Monday-Friday 7AM to 4PM PST"

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The answer to this is simple: Cheap laptops will choose to have the HDMI connector directly driven by the Intel HD Graphics engine. In this case, because the processor can only output HDMI 1.4 format, the maximum it can support is 4K@30Hz. A better quality laptop will configure the Intel HD Graphics engine to output in DisplayPort 1.2 format and then provide a LSPcon chip that will convert the signal from DisplayPort 1.2 format to HDMI 2.0 format - which can support 4K@60Hz. Bottom line, If your HDMI connector will only support 4K@30Hz, then you have a cheap laptop (sorry). Now, If you are lucky, the laptop has a separate DisplayPort output connector or you have a USB-C connector that also supports DisplayPort Alternate Mode. In these cases, you can use an adapter to convert the DisplayPort signal to HDMI 2.0 format and thus support 4K@60Hz -- but, be very careful, there are a lot of cheap adapters out there that will only support 4K@30Hz. You need to look for one that specifically says that it will support 4K@60Hz. Also, watch out for adapters that claim 4K@60Hz, but have fine print that indicates that the adapter can only do so if the DisplayPort signal is in DisplayPort 1.4 format (since you have only DisplayPort 1.2 format, you will be limited to 4K@30Hz in this case).

Hope this helps,

...S