Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GAust1
Beginner

I'm trying to update the drivers for intel g33 chipset, when using the executable it says that copying the file igxpun.exe was unsuccessful. Is there any way to fix this?

I try updating them through the zip file but it doesn't actually update. It says it has but when I restart the driver information says that they haven't been updated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I presume this is on Windows 7 (since Windows 10 is not supported), yes?

I presume you are not using the Intel Chipset Software package? You are using the older INF Update package (downloaded from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20018/INF-Update-Utility-Primarily-for-Intel-6-5-4-3-900-S...), yes?

You need to understand a few things:

1. The drivers are provided - by Microsoft - as part of the Windows installation package. Updates are made available via Windows Update.
  2. The Intel INF Update package does not provide or install any drivers. All it contain is a set of INF files that detail which drivers are needed and how they should be configured.
  3. The drivers for this old hardware have not changed in many years. Installing a newer version of the INF Update package does not change the driver versions loaded; it simply updates the configuration for these drivers.

Bottom line, if you answered yes, to both questions above, then your installation is succeeding and you have the latest available drivers with the latest available configuration.

...S

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Now, if you installation is not succeeding, I presume that you either have Windows 10 installed - in which case you already have the latest available drivers for this old hardware and there is no need to run the INF Update package - or you are using a newer version of the package - in which case it is failing because, starting with version 10.0, there is no support for your old hardware included.

...S