Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

I need openGL for HD Graphics 3000 under Win10

ADem
Novice

Hi.

I have a Core i5 2520M CPU with HD Graphics 3000.

I use Windows 10.

I read a lot of articles, but found no answer to my problem.

I would like to play with a game: Planescape Tournament Enhanced Edition

https://www.beamdog.com/products/planescape-torment-enhanced-edition Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog - Great Games, Easy

If you roll down you can see the requirements.

It tells i would need openGL 2 compatible graphics card.

But when I installed the game, it says:

Unable to load openGL driver.

GL_Version: 1.1.0

GL_Renderer: GDI Generic

GL_Vendor: Microsoft Corporation

So my problem is that: I found no openGL support for HD Graphics 3000 under windows10.

I asked Beamdog (the game developer) what shall i do, and they told me to ask the manufacturer. So i am here and i would like You guys to help me.

Do you have any suggestion?

Thank you.

29 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

According to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005526/graphics-drivers.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Graphics Products your legacy GPU is not supported under Windows 10.

Try this driver from https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=9.17.10.4459 Microsoft Update Catalog

Install driver via "have disk method" as described at:

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-intel-beta-graphics-drivers-surface

(ignore prolog about MS surface, treat CAB like ZIP)

0 Kudos
ADem
Novice

Hi. Yes, i know that there is no more support.

The catalog does not open. Can you link it somehow else please or just type down word by word?

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
ADem
Novice

Hi. I have that one (which is 99.6 MB) already.

Do you have another idea?

0 Kudos
PLiv
New Contributor II

It is possible to get it working by creating a https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd837644(v=ws.10).aspx Windows Compatibility shim for the game.

Download and install https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/windows-assessment-deployment-kit Windows ADK. During the installation opt-out of everything except Application Compatibility Tools. That's the only component we need.

I'll attach a video soon with the rest of the steps to get Java 9 working which is similarly affected. You can use that as a roadmap to get that game working.

0 Kudos
ADem
Novice

Would you so kind please to copy these 2 links again, (like in the previous answers)?

Unfortunately they dont open for me in these forms.

0 Kudos
PLiv
New Contributor II
0 Kudos
ADem
Novice

ohmyholygod jesus I will definitely try to do this, but it might take some day as my english is not perfect nor my IT knowledge.

Huhh. I will come back with either with the result or with my questions.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
ADem
Novice

I typed in: ig4icd32.dll

I did not have PRODUCT_VERSION="" and FILE_VERSION=""

I had PRODUCT_NAME="" but had no version number in it, (i unticked it)

I did not have ORIGINAL_FILENAME="" and INTERNAL_NAME=""

I doubted until the last minute that i can do these set up, but the video was perfect. Just perfect.

I really appreciate your help! It worked. I did everything after you, and it worked.

You saved me money, and gave me back my favourite game You must be a genious.

Thank you very very much pal1000.

0 Kudos
JSchn9
Beginner

Wonderful, thank you very much, Pal1000. I did use the link you gave to solve a problem running a Python application using the Kivy GUI library. The app could not run on my laptop under Windows 10 64x with the Intel 3000 graphic card, telling me OpenGL version 1.1 was detected. Even after reinstalling Python 3.6.5, the error remained.

I did download the https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/windows-assessment-deployment-kit Windows ADK and carefully applied what was explained by Pal1000 in https://pal1000.github.io/shared/tutorials/legacy-igpu-ogl-fix-win10.mov his video. I created a fix with the following values:

And then, miracle, everything is ok ! I am so happy and hope this will be useful to other people. Thanks again, Pal1000 !

Jean-Pierre

0 Kudos
sc6
Beginner

Thanks a ton Jean-Pierre and Pal1000 . I got my kivy app working.

I was finall able to fix " [CRITICAL] [GL] Minimum required OpenGL version (2.0) NOT found! OpenGL version detected: 1.1 " after following your suggestions.

Thank you very much
0 Kudos
JPark59
Beginner

I just want to confirm that this solution works with glfw library not found error on following platform:

- win10(64 bit)

- python3.7.1 official binary

- pip installed glfw (downloaded on Nov-04-2018)

- intel hd3000 that came with Lenovo x220t

Because of this, I can delay purchasing another computer for some time. Thanks pal1000!

0 Kudos
TMCDO4
Beginner

Hello, I had the exact same issue with the same computer and everything. I sent messages to both of you for help because I could not access the video that explained the step-by-step for using the Compatibility Administrator to fix the OpenGL issue with Windows 10 and playing the Planescape Torment game. However, I managed to get the game to run now so I don't need assistance any more. So please disregard the messages I sent to both of you. I found an easier solution on the Beamdogs forum where all I had to do was copy and paste the baldur.lua file from my Baldur's Gate EE game documents folder to the Planescape Torment EE documents folder and do 1 small modification to the file. Just needed to modify the SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend','1')

Because originally the Backend was set to 0. By changing it to 1, saving, and loading the game it now works perfectly!

0 Kudos
ADem
Novice
0 Kudos
TIgor1
Beginner

hello, sorry for asking now, but I have a similar problem but it doesn't involve java or python, in the pal1000 video he puts all the java files, i don't have java in my notebook and when i try to open the program it says "does your graphics support OpenGL 2.0 or greater? "

if so should i do it? install java and do the procedure already explained? I already downloaded "windowns ADK."

so I can't continue with the pal1000 tutorial because I don't have Java and I don't know if I need it. could any of you help me?

0 Kudos
PLiv
New Contributor II

You need to make the fix for your program .exe file, @TIgor1​.

Since Java and Python are not involved you won't need them to fix it.

The most complicated part of fixing process is the identification of the .exe file that loads the Intel OpenGL driver.

Most programs using Python and Java respectively rely on these platforms to get access to OpenGL, so Intel OpenGL driver is most often loaded by these platforms directly when they are part of execution flow. That's why applying the fix to them also fixes the main program.

But obviously this doesn't apply to you.

You can try using Process Explorer from SysInternals. Perform a search with Find - Find handle or DLL utility for ig4icd32.dll (for 32-bit) or ig4icd64.dll (for 64-bit) while the program is running. This may tell you the executable that loaded Intel OpenGL driver for which you need to make the fix. Unfortunately, this isn't guaranteed to work as programs have free reign to release file handles of DLLs that finished execution. Good luck.

0 Kudos
TIgor1
Beginner

thanks, i tried it in several ways but i was not successful, i think the only solution will be to move to win 7 for OpenGL to work.

thanks for trying to help friend.

0 Kudos
JPark59
Beginner

Intel support up to OpenGL 3.1 on HD3000 chips. And it works on win10 if you follow pal1000 video. But it seems you have a generic microsoft driver installed, so you should install Intel driver first.

0 Kudos
OllyAllan
Beginner

Please, I need help to fix similar issues with Topaz Studio 2 which is a photo editor.  When I launch the application, it brings up an error that I do not have OpenGL 3.3 installed.

I am running Windows 10 with OpenGL 3.1 which is the latest for my Sandy Bridge legacy GPU. Please, help me. I have included the error.

I followed the fix from the video and included the names of the .dll files the program said were missen and then included the ig4icd64.dll as well but it did not fix the problem. I tried with only the ig4icd64.dll but that too did not work.

Help, please.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

There is nothing that we can do your you. Intel has never supported the use of your 2nd gen processor and its graphics engine with Windows 10. You are currently using the in-box driver provided by Microsoft. It is true that the OpenGL support in this driver is down-rev. Microsoft has stated that they will NOT be updating it. If you need a later version of OpenGL, then you are going to have to get a newer PC/laptop. There simply is no other answer.

Sorry,

...S

0 Kudos