Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

ICGG: Quantization range vs Input range

JM3028
Beginner

What are the differences between the "Quantization range (Display tab)" and "Input range (Video tab)"?

JM3028_0-1676864047574.png

JM3028_1-1676864085063.png

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello JM3028,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We understand you are looking for the difference between the Quantization range and Input range options.

Input range is an indicator of how the captured source content colors were encoded into its digital representation. Selecting the right encoded range ensures the fidelity of the displayed colors. We recommend using it if the color of your image/video doesn't reflect the colors correctly.

The Quantization Range function determines the number of distinct colors used in an image to match the original image. The effect of this change varies based on the capabilities of the display:

•  Limited Range to specify a subset of the RGB range. The limited range typically has a black level of 16 and a white level of 235 in 8-bit mode.
  • Full Range to use the entire RGB range, with the value range of 0-255 for Red, Green, and Blue color channels.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JM3028
Beginner

Hi Jean,

Thanks for your prompt response. 

Input Range:  I switched Full/Limited while watching a number videos, some are UHD Blurays and some are HDR Demo clips from Youtube.   There were noticeable visual effects on the latter, but not in the former.  Does this setting affect only certain types of videos?

Quantization Range:  I would like to set this to "Full" permanently.  This setting was reset to Limited every time after reboot, switching from SDR to HDR, and vice versa.  Is there any solutions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello JM3028,

Thanks for the information provided.

Let us look into this and we will get back to you at our earliest convenience.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello JM3028,

Thank you for the information provided.

The Quantization Range switch on the Intel Graphics Command Center (or on the Intel Graphics Control Panel) does nothing: the level is always Limited Range (16-235). The image of the desktop is always converted from Full Range (0-255) to Limited Range (16-235).

This behavior, as reported by the driver, the Intel® Graphics Command Center, and the Intel® Graphics Control Panel is expected.

Let me know if this answers your question, then it would be good to have examples regarding visual effects on the latter, but not on the former that you report, and the type of connections you are using.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
JM3028
Beginner

Hi Jean,

I would like to set Quantization Range permanently to FULL.  Is there any solution?  At the moment, the Quantization Range was reset to Limited every time after reboot, switching from SDR to HDR, and vice versa, and change of refresh rate.

0 Kudos
JM3028
Beginner

Also, there are obvious visual differences when switching Quantization Range FULL/LIMITED.  This happen on the Windows Desktop, as well as all video files that I tried -  Windows Desktop and videos appear to be "washout" when setting to LIMITED.    I am just curious - what does this setting  "technically" perform?

My main desire is to set it to FULL, permanently.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JM3028
Beginner

Let me know if this answers your question, then it would be good to have examples regarding visual effects on the latter, but not on the former that you report, and the type of connections you are using.

Hi Jean,

Examples are as follows:

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyB_qWcsIyE.   The Full/Limited setting in Input Range produces "noticeable" visual effects. 
  2. Top Gun: Maverick (2022) UHD Bluray and John Wick: Chapter 2 UHD Bluray.  The Full/Limited setting in Input Range produces "No" visual effects

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JM3028
Beginner

Also, I am using HDMI connection.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello JM3028,

Thank you for your response.

We will resume our investigation regarding this matter. We will post back as soon as we have more details.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello JM3028,

We appreciate your patience.

This behavior, as reported by the driver, the Intel® Graphics Command Center, and the Intel® Graphics Control Panel, is expected. Only the Full Range is supported for VGA. This information applies to 8th-gen to 11th-gen graphics; for "old" versions, this probably is not going to change.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
JM3028
Beginner

Hi Jean,

Thanks for your update.

May I have clarifications on the followings:

1.  "This behavior ...... is expected" - Did it mean "Quantization Range" reset to "Limited" after events such as reboot, switching SDR/HDR and switching refresh rate are "expected"?  If yes, can this behavior be changed?
  2. "Only the Full Range is supported for VGA" - I am using HDMI connection and both Full/Limited Ranges are available to my system.  While only Full Range is supported for VGA, this limitation is not relevant to my situation.  Am I right?
  3. "This information applies to 8th-gen to 11th-gen graphics" - I am using a 12th-gen integrated intel GPU.  Could you extend your advise to 12th-gen graphics?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello JM3028

We appreciate your response.

The "Quantization Range" option is expected to reset to "Limited" after reboot, no matter the generation or the display output you are using. We would gather the information you shared and provide feedback to the team in charge. Unfortunately, we are unable to guarantee that a fix will be implemented.

Since we will provide the feedback to the appropriate team, we will close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
JM3028
Beginner

Hi Jean,

Thanks for your response to my 1st question in my post dated 03-03-2023.  May I also have your response to the 3rd question in my post dated 03-03-2023.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
JM3028
Beginner

Hi Jean,

You asked me to provide "examples"  in your post dated 28-02-2023.  Is your team looking into the examples that I supplied yesterday?

Thanks.

0 Kudos