Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

IGCCTray.exe continuously fails in Windows Reliability Monitor report

hij2001
New Contributor I

I have an HP Spectre x360 with a Core i7 1065G7 CPU and Iris Plus Graphics running Windows 10 Home 20H2 build 19042.685, and the  IGCCTray.exe fails almost daily in the Windows Reliability Report.  This has been occurring over multiple OS and driver versions, and all drivers and the OS are current.  What needs to be done to get this to operate correctly?

Here is the error detail:

Description
Faulting application name: IGCCTray.exe, version: 1.100.2970.0, time stamp: 0x5fa05e73
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.662, time stamp: 0xec58f015
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000000000002d759
Faulting process id: 0x8c6c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6cf11b393ed79
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\AppUp.IntelGraphicsExperience_1.100.2970.0_x64__8j3eq9eme6ctt\GCP.ML.BackgroundSysTray\IGCCTray.exe
Faulting module path: C:\windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 48160df4-c013-447e-ab21-cbae7e0c595d
Faulting package full name: AppUp.IntelGraphicsExperience_1.100.2970.0_x64__8j3eq9eme6ctt
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

0 Kudos
1 Solution
hij2001
New Contributor I

Maria -

Thanks for the followup - I was planning to respond tomorrow.

There have been no critical events/application failures from the graphics drivers since I replaced the driver on 12/14 with the .8141 version, and this has continued following the Windows Update installation of .8280 driver on 12/19.  In fact, I've only seen one critical event/application failure in the last 13 days with the startmenuexperiencehost.exe on 12/16, and that was a one time event.

At this point, I would say that you can officially close this thread.  Thanks again for the great support, and have a happy and healthy 2021!

Regards,

Howard

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Maria_R_Intel

Hello hij2001,

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community.

To better assist you, can you please provide us with the below information:

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
hij2001
New Contributor I

Maria -

Thanks for the prompt response!  I've attached the SSU Detail report for your review, and look forward to your assessment and recommendations.

Regards,

Howard

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello hij2001,

With the report, I noticed that you are using a generic graphics driver and that may be causing the failure.

There are two different types of drivers, generics provided by Intel and Equipment Manufacturer drivers, that are customized to work with each specific system.

The best thing to do is to use the drivers provided by the system manufacturer or through Windows Update to eliminate the potential impact caused by loading non-custom drivers.

Please follow the next steps:

Uninstall the IGCC:

>Go to Microsoft Apps and Features.

>Search for the Intel* Graphics Command Center

>Uninstall

Try a Clean installation of the drivers and install the proper one for your system:

1. Download the latest Graphics Driver from HP*, version: 26.20.100.7810 https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-13-aw0000-x360-convertible-pc-series/29100376/model/29100378?sku=6YG70AV
  2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 

3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Driver from  Apps and Features.

4. Restart the computer. 

5. Go to the Device Manager > Video Adapters and check if the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter'. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point, we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager: 
    5.1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device'
    5.2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 
    5.3. Click on 'Uninstall'
    5.4. Restart. (Repeat steps 5.1 through 5.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') Note: Repeat this process until you get the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

6. Install the previously downloaded Graphics Driver from HP*.

7. Reconnect to the Internet and reboot your PC.

Please, let me know the outcome.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
hij2001
New Contributor I

Maria -

Thanks for the recommendations!  I attempted to follow your suggestions but encountered a few challenges along the way. Nonetheless, I was unable to remove the IGCC, remove the driver Version 27.20.100.8935, and replace it with 26.20.100.8141 through Windows update.

While I was able to download your recommended 26.20.100.7810 installation file, when I ran the exe file to install the driver, it seemed to complete but created an error log file and the .7810 driver was never installed. I tried using the HP Support Assistant to obtain the .7810 driver, but it determined that the driver I had was current.

BTW, I had installed the Intel Driver and Support Assistant shortly after receiving my system, and whenever it recommended a driver update, I checked the installed driver to determine if it was an HP specific driver. To date, all of them have been Intel rather than HP signed drivers, which is why I thought it would be reasonable to update them.

I'll continue to watch the Windows Reliability Monitor report to see whether this driver without the IGCC is more stable and wil let you know.

Regards,

Howard

0 Kudos
hij2001
New Contributor I

Noticed a typo that I evidently can't edit in the original post.

I was ABLE to remove the IGCC...

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello hij2001,

Thank you for let us know the outcome.

Please keep in mind that Intel Driver & Support Assistant (Intel IDSA) just announces that is a new update available based on Intel's database, so it may fail in third-party systems in the scanning or updates in third-party systems.

The driver 26.20.100.7810, is the HP* version and was tested and validated for your specific Laptop. We highly recommend verifying this with the HP* support if possible.

In the meantime, please keep checking the Windows* report and let us know the details; if the issue persists and if so, provide us the driver version installed.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello hij2001,

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
hij2001
New Contributor I

Maria -

Thanks for the followup! 

The .8141 driver has worked without reporting any failures, so I have not attempted to install the .7810 version again. 

As of this morning, Windows Update has successfully installed Intel Corporation - Display - 27.20.100.8280 and Intel Corporation - Extension - 27.20.100.8280 without the IGCC.  The HP Support Assistant has reported that both this driver and the .8141 driver were both "up to date".

I'll continue to monitor the stability of this new driver and report back.

Regards,

Howard

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello hij2001,

That is awesome, I'm glad to hear that.

I will keep your thread open, so you can let me know the final outcome, I may follow up on it if I don't hear back from you.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
hij2001
New Contributor I

Maria -

Thanks for your ongoing follow up! 

The last IGCCTray failure was on 12/14, at which time I uninstalled the IGCCTray and the associated driver and installed the .8141 driver.  Windows Update then installed the .8280 on 12/19, and I have not experienced a graphics driver related failure since installing the .8141 driver on the 14th, so it looks like things are now stable.  Let's keep the thread open for another week and I'll provide a final update. 

Thanks again for your support, and best wishes to you and yours for a joyous holiday season and a happy and healthy 2021!

Regards,

Howard

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello hij2001,

Thank you! Same to you, Happy Holidays.

I will keep your thread open.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hi!!

Just following up, let me know if you need more assistance.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
hij2001
New Contributor I

Maria -

Thanks for the followup - I was planning to respond tomorrow.

There have been no critical events/application failures from the graphics drivers since I replaced the driver on 12/14 with the .8141 version, and this has continued following the Windows Update installation of .8280 driver on 12/19.  In fact, I've only seen one critical event/application failure in the last 13 days with the startmenuexperiencehost.exe on 12/16, and that was a one time event.

At this point, I would say that you can officially close this thread.  Thanks again for the great support, and have a happy and healthy 2021!

Regards,

Howard

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello hij2001,

Glad to hear that!

I will proceed to close the thread, please open a new one if you need further assistance.

Happy New Year!

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos