Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Installation of Intel Graphics WIndows 10 DCH Drivers causes Black Screen

GarhenChiu
Beginner

Recently, I had reinstalled windows 10 on my pc, and while installing drivers, my screen turns black during installation.

My computer still functioned as it still played audio and even sent a text message, but the display was completely black.

I searched the internet and reverted it by uninstalling the drivers through device manager. But now I am using the microsoft basic display adapter which struggles to run anything even remotely intensive. 

I have tried downloading drivers from the intel website, the intel driver support assistant, the drivers from my motherboard website, and windows updates, but all of them resulted in the same black screen issue.
Are there any ways of fixing this issue and download the graphics drivers successfully?

Specs have been attached for referenceSpecs.PNG

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Did you remember to install the Chipset Device Software (aka INF Update) and Intel Management Engine Software packages BEFORE you installed IDSA? These packages are not installed or updated by IDSA, so need to be installed first. They can definitely cause issues such as this.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
GarhenChiu
Beginner

Yes, I had installed both the INF update and Intel Management Software beforehand from my motherboard website. Nevertheless I still encountered the same issue with the black screen.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows. Select all data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

...S

0 Kudos
GarhenChiu
Beginner

Here you go

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello GarhenChiu,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Have you performed a clean installation of the Intel drivers?

- Steps: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

- File: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30266/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

2. Have you got in contact with AsRock to check for any malfunction?

3. Did you run the optional updates for Windows?

4. Have you reinstalled the operating system?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
GarhenChiu
Beginner

1. When I look in my device manager under display adapters, it shows Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and nothing else, so I have not tried a clean installation.

2. I have not gotten in contact with AsRock

3. I have run the optional updates for Windows

4. I have tried several times to reinstall the operating system, yet the black screen comes back immediately during the installation of drivers

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello GarhenChiu, 

We would like to check this issue further, and I would appreciate it if you help me with the following:

1. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers: 

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html 

2. Have you tried different video cables and monitors/TV?

3. Did the issue appear prior to the first time you reinstalled Windows?

4. Have you load BIOS settings to default?

5. Try to contact AsRock, since this issue happens with any driver (AsRock and Intel).

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
GarhenChiu
Beginner

1. I was unable to generate a report from the intel graphics command center

GarhenChiu_0-1620168835402.png

2. I have tried different video cables and monitors/TV

3. No, I had used my computer without issues for several weeks until I received a black screen upon startup, in which I reinstalled Windows which seemed to fix the problem until several weeks later it came back and this is the present were reinstalling did not fix the issues and installing drivers was causing the issues.

4. I have not loaded the BIOS settings to default but I had done a CMOS reset

5. Undersood

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello GarhenChiu, 

Thank you for the information provided 

While you get in contact with AsRock, I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello GarhenChiu, 

I would like to know if you were able to check with ASrock and what kind of information did they provide to you. I will be waiting for your outcome.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello GarhenChiu,  

Were you able to check the previous post? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
GarhenChiu
Beginner

I received an email from Asrock telling me to reinstall Windows 10 then install the INF drivers first before anything else, which I did with a usb drive. This seems to have solved the issue entirely, and now I have had no issues with black screens and games have run normally for the past day. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello GarhenChiu, 

Thanks for share with us (the community) the outcome from ASrock, I am glad to know that you have not to face any issue since you followed the instruction from ASRock.

The issue may be related to an incompatibility between our drivers and the motherboard. I will close this thread, but if you face the issue again or a different one do not hesitate to open a new thread and you can use this as a reference.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
GarhenChiu
Beginner

I have recently re-encountered this issue as I was forced to reinstall windows again when I was once again stuck in a black screen after boot after putting my computer in sleep mode. This time installing the INF drivers first did not prevent the black screen from occurring after installing the drivers in windows update and I got the error, "We removed some recently installed update" after going into repair mode. Once again in the device manager under display adapters it only shows Microsoft Basic Display adapter instead of Intel UHD 630.

0 Kudos