Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Intel 4600 has trouble with 2 monitors

JRowe1
Beginner

My graphics card encountered an early end-of-life after a month in the care of a guy who 'repaired' my computer.

So now I'm using the onboard graphics of my motherboard, which happens to use an Intel 4600 driver.

Here's a copy of the info from my dxdiag if that helps: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/kDZYsJxqpg/ https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/kDZYsJxqpg/

When I install/reinstall the latest Intel driver, I get multiple monitor support----until I reboot my computer. Then it doesn't detect the 2nd monitor. Until and unless I reinstall the driver. Then it not only sees that there's a second monitor, it uses extended display.

So, that seems wacky. So I have come here for help.

I would much rather not have to reinstall the driver every time I turn on my computer.

Any ideas would be welcome!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello JustStopAndThink

Thank you for joining this community.

Based on the brief description of your issue, we might think that somehow you might be facing a hardware issue.

Can you please tell us the specific model and brand of the cables that you are using to connect your monitor?

Are you using any adapter or dongle/splitter?

In order to assist you better please follow these steps to generate an Intel® Graphics Driver report with both of your monitors attached when running the app:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html

To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
JRowe1
Beginner

No idea about the cables. I don't even know how to find that; I got them from Monoprice.com, though, if that helps.

No adapters or dongles or splitters. Just the cable, directly from the monitor to the motherboard.

As a reminder, the monitors do work properly...but only when I reinstall the driver and don't reboot the computer when asked. (And only works until I reboot.)

Here's the report! And thanks for your help. Here's hoping we solve this!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JustStopAndThink,

Thank you for your response.

In this case yes, based on the system report that you shared, we noticed that your motherboard (GA-Z87-HD3) has only 1 HDMI port.

However based on you last post, you told us that there is no adapter or dongle in your set up.

Can you tell us how are you connecting tow HDMI devices to your board?

Can you please provide us with more details of your set up?

As well, by any chance do you have the link form the webpage where you purchased your cables, so we can perform further research on your issue?

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
JRowe1
Beginner

The motherboard has two monitor ports.

One is HDMI.

The other is DVI.

The monitors I am using happen to both use these natively.

So there are no dongles or adapters.

The links that I used to buy from monoprice.com are long gone, because I got the monitors a couple of years ago, and monoprice has changed since then.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JustStopAndThink

Thank you for your response.

In order to isolate the issue please try the following suggestion:

Disconnect your HDMI monitor so only the DVI monitor is active on single display mode.

If you get display, please reboot your machine and disconnect the DVI and then connect only the HDMI monitor.

If you get display as well, please reboot your machine gain and connect both monitors.

Once that the machine is on, please let us know which of the monitors lost signal.

The reason that we ask you to perform this is because your report shows for some reason, both monitors to be HDMI.

Please make sure that you have our latest drivers while performing these steps.

As a reminder, please verify if your DVI connection is Single link, since our graphics controller only supports this mode and not Dual Link, which could be the cause for this issue.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JustStopAndThink,

We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance.

Please do not hesitate on contacting us back.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos