Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21286 Discussions

Intel Arc A750 Causing 100% CPU usage

SirMagicWolf
Beginner

Hello, hoping someone can help me with this problem. When playing certain games like Overwatch and Apex Legends, the CPU will max out from 50-100% load and cause the game not to be playable for 5-10 minutes, sometimes longer. Eventually, the CPU will return to normal, but there will be random 100% CPU spikes, causing the game to freeze for a second. I have tried everything to fix it. I did a clean installation of windows many times over and tried all the intel arc drivers they have, but nothing fixed it. I'm unsure if it's a driver problem with my hardware or a faulty card. Any help would be appreciated. I like the Arc A750, but I will sadly have to return the card if I can't play these games. 

Side Note. CPU spikes also happen when opening any software, causing stutter and audio crackles for a few seconds.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello SirMagicWolf

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing processor spikes and stuttering in your system.

As a first approach to this issue, please let try the following:

• Based on the log file that you shared XMP profiles are enabled, which could cause instability, please reset your BIOS to default settings and disable XMP.
  • Make sure that Resizable BAR is enabled.

If the issue persists after trying the above options, let's do the following troubleshooting:

• Go to your motherboard manufacturer's website and update the BIOS to the latest version. The latest version seems to be 11.01.
  • Remove the ARC GPU from your system, and test integrated graphics only to check if the same spikes still happen.

Also, please share with us the following information:

• Check the Task Manager while the system is idle and check that there are no programs making high use of resources.
  • Have you tested other games?
  • Have you tested another GPU on the system from a third party? Or, why do you suspect it might be a GPU issue, is this a new implementation?

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
SirMagicWolf
Beginner

Hello, thanks for getting back to me. I have done everything you have said to do. Updated the bios to the latest version, 11.01, turned off XMP and tested the igpu without the Arc A750 GPU in the PC. When testing the igpu, I still got high CPU usage with Overwatch and Apex Legends, but trying out other games, the CPU usage was normal, but as you can see in the two videos I sent using latencyMon, the arc A750 is having problems. When playing games with the A750, I get massive stuttering and audio crackling. That can last for 5 or 15 minutes before it starts working smoothly, where as the igpu does not have these problems and runs smoothly. So it seems there has to be a problem with the arc drivers. I'm at a loss as to what else it could be, I've tried everything, including different monitor cables, hard drives and RAM, and far too many fresh installs of Windows to be happy about. But it all comes down to the ARC A750 causing the problem, whether because the current drivers are not playing nice with my hardware or some fault with the GPU. If you need anything else from me, let me know.

Sidenote: I have no massive stutterings or audio cracking problems with my other video cards  --RX 6600XT, Nvidia GTX1060 Or The IGPU--  This Problem Only Happens With The Arc A750 

Oops Almost Forget To Say I Do Indeed Have Resizable BAR Turned On.

Well, after much more testing, sad to say, I have decided to return the card until the driver problem gets fixed. The major stuttering on specific games is too much for me. Till next we meet, I bid you adieu! 

0 Kudos
SirMagicWolf
Beginner

Scratch what I said about sending the card back. I did some more testing and found that I could play Apex Legends with the new DirectX 12 mode that's in beta test. The Arc A750 plays the game 95% smooth with only a little Stutter in DirectX 12 mode vs. When using DirectX 11 mode, the game becomes un-playable with mass stuttering, so based on this, it is indeed a driver problem that needs to be fixed. I shall hold onto the card for a bit longer in hopes of a driver update. 

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello SirMagicWolf

Thank you for sharing this information. Good to know that Apex Legends improved its performance with the latest patch. We would like to further research this issue, so we would like to ask for the following information:

• For testing purposes, Could you please check if after disabling Resizable BAR the audio crackles or stuttering stop?
  • Please share a screenshot of the in-game graphics settings for both games.
  • Where was Apex Legends downloaded from?

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
VaLyc
Beginner

I'm Brazilian and I put this message on Google translator, if it's difficult to understand, I'm sorry...
Good morning, I have the same problem of using the cpu at 100%, I have an i5 10400 and an a750 in some games the cpu is at 100% at about 90 degrees while the gpu is at 80% of use, causing a bottleneck. however, I've seen tests with an rtx 3070 with my processor, which is superior to that board (a750) I know it's because the drivers aren't well optimized. way to solve or minimize this problem. (obs, I already did the steps above before and tested it, but the processor continued with high usage) Thank you
VaLyc.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello SirMagicWolf

I hope you are doing fine. 

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let us know if you still need assistance. 

Best regards,  

Hugo O.  

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello VaLyc

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities.

I would advise you to open a new thread to get a more personalized troubleshooting experience. Also, please note that if the thread owner doe snot reply, this thread will no longer be monitored. Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello SirMagicWolf

I hope you are doing fine. 

I have not heard back from you. So I will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards, 

Hugo O.  

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello SirMagicWolf

Before closing this thread I just wanted to let you know that in regards to Apex Legends, we are working on an update to improve performance in both DX11 and DX 12. As for Overwatch 2 we already have an update on its way to improve the performance of this title there is no estimated time for the release of the updates but please know that they are coming to the platform. We value the information and feedback that you provided on this thread

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
SirMagicWolf
Beginner

Yay! That is fantastic news to hear! Thank you for letting me know about these updates coming to fix the problems I have been dealing with in these two games. I do appreciate you looking into this for me. I now have high hopes for the future of Intel Video Cards. - Go, Team Blue! - Will Be Keeping an eye out for these new driver updates. You have made my day with this information 🙂

Thank you truly, and have a blessed day.

0 Kudos