Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

Intel Arc A770 LE Freezing Computer and Causing Crash When Not Under Load

PixelSpam
Novice

I just wanted to ask if anyone else having their A770 LE crashing when doing light tasks (not gaming)?

I understand gaming performance is still a work in progress, but I have been having issues with general stability with the PC screen flicking to black for a few seconds then back on then the PC freezes then it will either reboot eventually or I have to force reset. I have also had audio distortion issues, removing and reinstalling the drivers seems to fix the issue.

I have tried the launch drivers and the beta drivers and the issues persist, I also reset windows 11 from scratch last night but the issues have returned. Also, Event viewer is a bloodbath with WHEA-Logger event ID 17 errors which the logs point to Intel hardware being an issue. I have been getting the WHEA-Logger event ID 17 created every second according to the logs and before the crash/freeze, I get a kernel power 41. This happens when it’s not under load. My pc has crashed 3 times today while working on spreadsheets. I have had to flick over to Integrated graphics and I have unplugged the Arc GPU and the errors have stopped flooding into the event viewer.

I already know I will need to wait for mature drivers, but really disappointed it's affecting my regular non gaming workflow. I just want to know if anyone else has stability issues when not gaming or is it a hardware issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
PixelSpam
Novice

Hi Andres,

Just an update, I have ended up speaking with Intel Support along with my retailer and we are in the process of starting the RMA process.

Thanks for your suggestions and help!

Josh

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello PixelSpam,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities.  

In case you need some troubleshooting steps, let me know, if you want to proceed with it, for a better understanding answer the following questions:

• What is the graphics driver version installed?
  • What Windows 11 version do you have installed?
  • Does the issue happen in a specific app?
  • Does it happen in different displays?

If you are not looking for troubleshooting steps, keep me informed.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
PixelSpam
Novice

Hi Andres,

Sorry for the delayed response I have only just had a chance to put the Arc GPU back into my PC. Since my post, the PC has not crashed with the Arc GPU removed which seems to confirm its the GPU or GPU driver causing the issues. I have only had it plugged back in for 15 minutes and it hasn't fallen over yet (fingers crossed) but the event viewer has immediately started creating thousands of the WHEA-Logger event ID 17 errors (Screenshots attached) 

Any suggestions you have would be great,

• What is the graphics driver version installed? - Currently 31.0.101.3490 (I had tried the beta drivers 31.0.101.3793 but have done a clean install of win 11 since then)

• What Windows 11 version do you have installed? Windows 11 Education 22H2 (22621.755)

• Does the issue happen in a specific app? It's when the PC is idle on the desktop and it reboots (No apps open) I haven't had an issue when in a game.

• Does it happen in different displays? I only use one Ultrawide display

For completeness, I am using a Gigabyte Z590I VISION D Motherboard with Resizable Bar enabled and up-to-date bios with an Intel 11th gen 11700k.

0 Kudos
PixelSpam
Novice

Hi Andres,

I have been trying to get the info to you four separate times by posting a reply but my posts are being removed.

I have attached my response as a word document to see if the post shows up.

Thanks again.

Josh

0 Kudos
PixelSpam
Novice

Hi Andres,

Thanks for your message, I apologise for my delay getting back to you I have only had a chance to drop the Arc GPU back into my PC. (I did respond a few hours ago but looks like my reply has disappeared)

Just to note whilst having the GPU out of the machine I have not had any stability issues/crashes at all. As soon as I plugged the card in I was getting multiple WHEA-Logger event ID 17 warnings a second. And unfortunately, a crash within 2 hours of having the card back in. (event viewer logs screenshots attached)

When the pc crashed I was out of the room as I was settling in for the evening and heard my VOIP headset attached to the PC make it start up chime which signalled me to investigate and we had a reboot, all apps were closed at the time and the pc was on the desktop before I left the room.

Any Ideas or suggestions would be great,

• What is the graphics driver version installed? 31.0.101.3490, I have tried the beta drivers as well but have reformatted my PC since then.
  • What Windows 11 version do you have installed? Windows 11 Education 22H2, 22621.755
  • Does the issue happen in a specific app? No, it seems to only happen when there is no load (when on the desktop and apps are closed) It hasn’t happened when the PC is under load yet.
  • Does it happen in different displays? I only have a Dell ultrawide display for testing.

For completeness, I have a Gigabyte Z590I VISION D Motherboard with a Resizable bar enabled with an i7-11700k CPU in stock config (not overclocked) and a Seasonic SGX-650 PSU

As I was writing my response to get the driver version, I opened Arc control and the pc locked up and had to reset the pc.

Thanks and look forward to hearing your suggestions 🙂

0 Kudos
PixelSpam
Novice

Hi Andres,

Thanks for your message, I apologise for my delay getting back to you I have only had a chance to drop the Arc GPU back into my PC. (I did respond a few hours ago but looks like my reply we removed)

Just to note whilst having the GPU out of the machine I have not had any stability issues/crashes at all. As soon as I plugged the card in I was getting multiple WHEA-Logger event ID 17 warnings a second. And unfortunately, a crash within 2 hours of having the card back in. (event viewer screenshots attached)

When the pc crashed I was out of the room as I was settling in of the evening and heard my VOIP headset attached to the PC make it start up chime which signalled me to investigate and we had a reboot, all apps were closed at the time and the pc was on the desktop.

Any Ideas or suggestions would be great,

• What is the graphics driver version installed? 31.0.101.3490, I have tried the beta drivers as well but have reformatted my PC since then.
  • What Windows 11 version do you have installed? Windows 11 Education 22H2, 22621.755
  • Does the issue happen in a specific app? No, it seems to only happen when there is no load (when on the desktop and apps are closed) It hasn’t happened when the PC is under load yet.
  • Does it happen in different displays? I only have a Dell ultrawide display for testing.

For completeness, I have a Gigabyte Z590I VISION D Motherboard with Resizable bar enabled with an i7-11700k CPU in stock config (not overclocked) and a Seasonic SGX-650 PSU

As I was writing my response to get the driver version, I opened Arc control and the pc locked up and had to reset the pc. I have been able to replicate the issue when opening Arc control.

Thanks,

Josh

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Just to note, my A770 LE has been working perfectly fine for me on Win11 and Linux (Manjaro) in either gaming (50+ hours of Elden Ring) or application tasks, no crashes/freezes or anything like that fortunately.

I don't have Arc Control (on Windows) installed however, I just use the graphics command center app instead to enable VRR.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello PixelSpam,

Thank you for your response. 

We would like to know the behavior after performing the steps below, please keep me informed of the results:

• Uninstall Intel® Arc™ Control following the steps below:

1. Press the Windows key.
  2. Click on settings.
  3. Select Apps and then select Apps & features.
  4. Search for Intel® Arc™ Control software.
  5. Click on it and select the option to uninstall.

• Perform a clean installation of the graphics driver version 31.0.101.3490. After completing them Intel® Arc™ Control should be installed.

For guidance you can follow:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

To download latest graphics driver you can access on:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
PixelSpam
Novice

Hi Andres,

Thanks for the advice, I ended up doing another entirely clean install of windows 11, I installed the driver package linked but it looks like they were for integrated graphics and I couldn't get an image out of the Arc GPU. I then installed the latest drivers for the arc GPU from here, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/726609/intel-arc-graphics-windows-dch-driver.html.

It didn't crash for about two hour whilst I was installing the rest of my software, I stepped outside for around 90 minutes and returned inside to see the PC on the login screen. I also tried what @powerarmour mentioned, I uninstalled the drivers again and only installed the driver package, not arc control but I still got another random crash after sitting idle for about 40 minutes. I'm starting to wonder if it is related to the PC sleep/resume state, I have for the time being turned off sleep to see if it crashes again.

Will keep you updated, in the interim any other suggestions are welcome and appreciated 🙂 

@Andres_Intel If it seems like I have a faulty card, are you able to point me in the direction of the RMA process? 

Thanks,

Josh

0 Kudos
laxesta
New Contributor II

31.0.101.3793 drivers don't allow support of XeSS in Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

I was sooo happy to try Intel XeSS natively for the first time, since I consider it superior to native in a few regards, but I can't enable it in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, nor in the settings menu outside of the game, nor in game.

p.s. I tried to create a thread on the issue and was marked as spam so I wrote the issue here.

edit: Problem fixed after I installed the stable driver, from October 10th. Dunno what the issue is with the new drivers.

0 Kudos
PixelSpam
Novice

Unfortunately, it wasn't a sleep issue, as I was about to post an update about the event logs and the entire PC locked up again and I had to hard reset the PC.

I have rewritten this 3 times as the PC keeps freezing, I have just unplugged the GPU again and Stability has returned.

I'm still receiving multiple WHEA-Logger - Event ID 17 per second which is pointing to the issue as something hardware-based from what I understand, the vendor ID 8086 is Intel and I only have a single PCI-E slot which the arc is plugged into.

I have also been collating the error in the event log which happens just before the crash. The below error is a recurring log before the critical kernel crash and pc reboot.

Thanks again for the suggestions so far.

Josh

Application Pop UP Event ID 56

The description for Event ID 56 from source Application Popup cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

ACPI

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello PixelSpam,

Thank you for your answer. 

In case the graphics card is faulty you can start a RMA process with the place of purchase if it was bought in the last 30 days.

To provide an accurate response and more troubleshooting steps I will contact you in the next few days.

Regards,  

Andres P.

0 Kudos
PixelSpam
Novice

Hi Andres,

Just an update, I have ended up speaking with Intel Support along with my retailer and we are in the process of starting the RMA process.

Thanks for your suggestions and help!

Josh

Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello PixelSpam,

Thank you for letting us know that you will start a RMA process, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards, 

Andres P.  

0 Kudos