Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20649 Discussions

Intel Arc on F.E.A.R

Bill_da_da
New Contributor I

Hi Developers,

I am experiencing really poor performance on the old game F.E.A.R on 1440P maxed out resolution(around 40 FPS) and the GPU Activity is around 50% all the time.

Thanks,

Bill Ge

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da,

After looking into this matter, it would be ideal to mention that this is a game issue as the workaround also applies to Nvidia graphics, so this is not Intel-specific. You can take a look at a Reddit thread recommending the workaround: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/dm4gsn/fear_performance_question/ 

About the HID functionality question, we can't say if any functionality is impacted since the nature/origin of the HID device can change depending on what hardware is connected; for now, disable it and re-enable it when you are no longer playing the game.

Best regards

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da

Thank you for posting in the Intel Communities. We will be more than glad to help you with the performance problem with the F.E.A.R game.

Based on your issue, we would like to ask the following:

• Has this issue been present since day one?
  • Does performance improve if you lower the game's graphics settings?
  • How are you checking the GPU activity?
  • As mentioned in your other thread, we would like to recommend you install the latest graphics driver after running the  Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU), to perform a fresh installation of the driver, eliminating all previous driver residues and leftovers.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Bill_da_da
New Contributor I

Hi Jean,

I just tested it out with the latest driver and OS, and the problem persists.(Latest SSU attatched)

Also, turn down the settings makes no difference in FPS(around 40 FPS still) and GPU activity is pretty low(the frequency is below 2000MHz most of the times). THis problem occurs since day one with numerous driver updates.

Thanks,

Bill Ge

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da,

Before we proceed to look into this issue internally, we would like to ask for more information:

• As we previously asked, we want to know how are you measuring the GPU activity and frequency. Are you using Arc Control or a third-party software?
  • What game distribution service do you use to install the game?
  • We would like to confirm if the performance issue is related to a specific game zone.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da,

Before we proceed to look into this issue internally, we would like to ask for more information:

• As we previously asked, we want to know how you are measuring the GPU activity and frequency. Are you using Arc Control or a third-party software?
  • What game distribution service do you use to install the game?
  • We would like to confirm if the performance issue is related to a specific game zone.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Bill_da_da
New Contributor I

Hi Jean, 

I am using the overlay of Intel Arc Control and the IntelPresentMon to measure those figures.

I use steam to download F.E.A.R

I think the poor performance exists for all the three chapters I played so far and also the benchmark of the game as well.

Thanks,

Bill Ge

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da,

Thank you for the information provided. We would be more than glad to continue researching this matter internally. Allow us some time to look into this, and we will be posting back as soon as we have more details.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da,

We are jumping into your thread to let you know that we continue to look into this. We may need more time to further look into this matter. Allow us more time to continue researching this matter.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da

We appreciate your patience, we would like to recommend you test the game after disabling HID-Compliant devices from the device manager once. We could see an FPS boost when you disable all HID-compliant devices from the Device Manager. Let us know if you see any performance improvements.

Device manager --->Human Interface Devices -->HID-Compliant vendor-defined device

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da,

We would like to confirm if you have been able to test the game after disabling HID-Compliant devices from the device manager once. As we mentioned before, we could see an FPS boost when you disable all HID-compliant devices from the Device Manager. 

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Bill_da_da
New Contributor I

Hi, 

I think keyboard and mouse should also be HID-compliant devices and I will not be able to game without them?

Thanks,

Bill Ge

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da,

We understand that the keyboard and mouse are part of the HID-compliant devices. We recommend you disable the HID-Compliant vendor-defined device located in the device manager, as highlighted in the screenshot we shared before. We have tested this internally, and we have no problems playing the game.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Bill_da_da
New Contributor I

Hi Jean,

I think the fix does fix the problem and I am getting around 300-400 FPS now. I am wondering what is the reason behind it and will it affect the functionality of certain devices?

Thanks,

Bill Ge

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da,

We are glad to hear that the issue is solved after testing the game with the HID-Compliant vendor-defined, as we recommended. We also understand that you have concerns about this solution and would like to have more details about it; however, we will proceed with research on this internally. We will be posting back as soon as we have an update.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da,

After looking into this matter, it would be ideal to mention that this is a game issue as the workaround also applies to Nvidia graphics, so this is not Intel-specific. You can take a look at a Reddit thread recommending the workaround: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/dm4gsn/fear_performance_question/ 

About the HID functionality question, we can't say if any functionality is impacted since the nature/origin of the HID device can change depending on what hardware is connected; for now, disable it and re-enable it when you are no longer playing the game.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da,

We have not heard back from you, but we can see that the information we provided you has marked the thread as solved. Based on this we will proceed to close the thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos