Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20621 Discussions

Intel Content Protection HECI Service - Executable stopped working

Anonymous
Not applicable

This discussion was opened on an issue that involves Critical Events logged in Reliability Monitor:  "IntelCpHeciSvc Executable Stopped Working" 

I've only begun to learn about this program after receiving Critical Events that began and that this an executable embedded in a number of computers with Intel chips. This file is part of "Intel Insider" and is involved in communication with something concerning content protection and is centered on HDMI films etc. 

Other than a brief bit of information on what the program is, its not known why this program would stop working all of a sudden.

Its also unknown thus far whether there exists an offered explanation or a resolution on what adjustments might be made that would resolve the Critical Events.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Coffee_Lake, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

We would like to confirm more information to understand your issue better, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).  

2. Can you provide a screenshot/photo of the full error message that you are getting?  

3. How many units are affected by this behavior? Do they share the same system configuration? Please explain.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sebastian_M_Intel 

In reply to question 1: see attached system report from the SSU utility

In reply to question 2: see attached screen shot view of technical details    

In reply to question 3:  I'm not certain exactly what the question is referring to in regard to  'units'.

Was the question relating to devices for showing media capable of outputting HD content, e.g. HDMI monitors, or was it relating to recording devices? 

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Coffee_Lake,  

Thank you for your reply. 

We would like to confirm more information regarding this behavior, please provide the following: 

• Did you make any changes before the behavior started? E.g. Windows, driver, firmware update, installing/uninstalling a new app, etc.  
  • What I meant before was how many systems do you have affected by this problem? Is it just the Dell* XPS 8930 shown in the report or do you have another system(s) with this same issue?  
  • How often do you see the error messages in your system? Is it random or while doing a specific task? Please provide a detailed step by step to reproduce it if needed. 

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
  • "Did you make any changes before the behavior started? E.g. Windows, driver, firmware update, installing/uninstalling a new app, etc."

Yes. The following changes were made prior to the behavior:

Intel Management Engine Interface driver was updated to (ver. 1952.14.0.0.1470) on Dell's site August 17.  The update addressed Intel Security Advisory INTEL-SA-00307 (CVE-2019-14598) for my Dell system.     

iCLSClient in Device Manager> Software components is not currently listed. [NOTE]:  I cannot recall with certainty seeing a Restore Point named: "iCLSClient - uninstalled", or something similar 

1. Event Viewer logged a system restore point for iCLSClient installer.exe on August 17 (see screen shot)
  2. When recently checking in 'Create a Restore Point', the amount of disk space allocated for system restore points on the hard drive caused older restore points to be deleted to allow for newer restore points.

----------

The Intel graphics driver updates unlikely played a contributing factor. But the following changes were made :       

Intel UHD Graphics 630 driver was available via WU  (ver. 27.20.100.7990) on August 15th.  Dell offered old versions when checking Dell’s site prior to installing via WU. The opted decision made was updating to (version .7990) via WU. (see screen shot

The installed update on August 15th in Device Manager reads - "Device PCI\VEN requires further installation". (see screen shot.)  I installed a newer update (version 27.20.100.8587) on August 21st as a forced correction attempt to fix in Device Manager what read: "PCI/VEN requiring further installation".

Device Manager still currently reads "requiring further installation" after updating to version .8587 

----------

There are valid questions that can be drawn since there's a correlation between iCLS and ME.  iCLS is a service to license premium video and portions run on ME.  Content Protection HECI is a service concerning content protection of HDMI films, etc. Event Viewer logged a created system restore point when MEI was updated.

Questions that are raised then are if  "iCLSClient - uninstalled", or something similar was created in System Restore, is it possible it could have been “uninstalled” or “disabled” ? Would the fact that Device Manager doesn’t list it mean that iCLSClient is “disabled”?  What is the correlation between CpHECI and (HECI) Host To Embedded Controller Interface, which used to be or what later became (MEI) Management Engine Interface allowing software on the host processor to communicate with firmware running on the ME?    

• "Is it just the Dell* XPS 8930 shown in the report or do you have another system(s) with this same issue?"  

it's only the Dell XPS8930

• "How often do you see the error messages in your system?" "Is it random or while doing a specific task?" "Please provide a detailed step by step to reproduce it"

The Event logged the critical error posted previously as a screen shot and its unknown what task was being performed. Re-installing Intel MEI is not a guaranteed step by step way to reproduce it. 

Deleted personal info

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Coffee_Lake,   

Thank you for all the information provided. 

Based on the behavior that you are having, it seems that all the problems that you are having are actually related to the Intel® Management Engine (MEI).  

As you know the iCLS Client is the Intel® Trusted Connect Service Client (part of the MEI) which is installed with the Small Business/Security/Management Technology platform and is a requirement for the motherboard so it can accomplish with different tasks and processes at a hardware/software level related to the MEI, which is part of the chipset as well.  

Also, the problems could have started after installing the latest MEI driver from Dell*. In this case, my recommendation will be checking with Dell* (OEM) since they are responsible of the MEI driver for your specific system, chances are the driver is corrupted. 

Also, this problem can be at the Operating System (OS) level, as you mentioned that older restore points were removed , you can try even a fresh reinstallation of the OS. 

Regards,   

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sebastian_M_Intel ,

Thank you. I'll open a Dell service ticket to pursue an investigation into the MEI driver

In regard to one last request.  I don't know whether or not the attachments I posted automatically become 'locked' from viewer access once you've closed this discussion.  Many popular forums do not allow viewers access to attachments such as system reports once a thread is closed. It would be appreciated if the system report could be removed for personal reasons if this forum does not 'lock' attachment files and they remain viewable indefinitely     

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Coffee_Lake,   

Sure, I have just deleted the reports you provided and the screenshots as well. 

Thank you for your time on this matter, we will proceed to close this inquiry from our side. If you get to need further support, please open a new thread since this one will no longer be monitored. 

Regards,    

Sebastian M    

0 Kudos