Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Intel DCH Graphics Driver new INSTALLER (since 9684) memory leak and hang!

Mat84
Novice

Hi! I want to report a bug with Installer.exe of:

• Intel Graphics - Windows 10 DCH Drivers v30.0.100.9684 (2021-07-14)

Intel DCH Drivers changed since latest beta and now have a new installer. Well, not only hangs in my machine (so I cant update past v27.20.100.9466), but I noticed that if I leave it a while, it bogs my pc to a crawl. 

Screenshot of task manager is attached. Info of PC attached.

I also tried to uninstall previous driver, same. Tried DDU, same. Rebooted with no third party services or programs enabled, same. 

Let me know what can I do to help you fix this.

9 Replies
TJTang
Beginner

Having the same problem. At least I know what it is now. Now we just need it fixed. 

0 Kudos
Hossain_Aryan65
New Contributor I
Yes it happened with me too!!!! I was really tensed. I thought if my pc has a problem 😞
0 Kudos
Faeronis
New Contributor I

Successfully installed driver from command line:

1) download .zip with driver and unpack it in C:\1 so Installer.exe must be located in C:\1

2) run this command line from Windows Terminal/PowerShell:

cd c:\1

./installer -b -o -s -f

If you want to run it from old command line cmd.exe type this line by line:

c:

cd \1

installer -b -o -s -f

3) computer will reboot after some time

0 Kudos
TJTang
Beginner

I did this and the system rebooted but the driver was still the old driver. 

0 Kudos
HKlum
Valued Contributor I

Same issue here on Dell XP 15 9570. Wanting to install the new stable 9684, and now in mid installation I got a black screen and PC now hangs.

Enough is enough Intel. Please fire your entire driver team and get a new one.

0 Kudos
Faeronis
New Contributor I

Try command line method

0 Kudos
BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

I can 100% confirm this. When you try to use the drivers on Intel's site one of 2 things happens:

1: You can press the start button and everything installs as it should.

2: The start button never responds and the system pins CPU, RAM and even disk.

What I suspect is happening here is a broken version of what happens when you try to upgrade chipset software and the original .MSI file is missing. Instead of throwing up a prompt asking for the old graphics driver .MSI file the installer goes into an infinite loop looking for that .MSI file.

This is easy to test. Install a previous version of Intel's graphics drivers and then deliberately delete the created folder(s) in C:\ProgramData\Package Cache. Then try to install the latest driver. If it locks up and consumes all resources, there is your problem.

0 Kudos
BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

If you want to take a crack at fixing and testing this, do the following:

1. Download both an old (but compatible) version of your Intel GFX drivers, the latest Intel GFX drivers and DDU:
Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.4.2 (guru3d.com)
2. Disconnect from the internet.
3. Using the device manage uninstall your current GFX drivers using the delete drivers option, reboot.
4. Run DDU, reboot.
5. Install the older Intel GFX drivers you previously downloaded, reboot.
6. Install the latest Intel GFX drivers you previously downloaded, reboot.

If my suspicion is correct anyone with the driver install lockup problem should not experience the lockup using this method.

If I am wrong, at least we eliminated one possible problem.

0 Kudos