Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21074 Discussions

Intel Graphics Command Center - Only "Open System Settings" for resolution

BJH
Beginner

In the Intel Graphics Command Center, instead of finding the possibility to select the resolution or apply a custom resolution, only "Open System Settings" is available for the display setting.

I wish to output 2160x1440 to a windows tablet PC via an HDMI acquisition card so that it is at the native resolution of the panel on the tablet.

I understand that from a certain version of the Graphics Command Center onward, this functionality was removed.

Do you have any suggestions about how to output a custom resolution via HDMI with the inbuilt Intel Graphics card??

0 Kudos
8 Replies
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @BJH

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We would be more than glad to help you with your issue.

In order to have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

1.      Can you provide the make and model of the Windows tablet PC and the HDMI acquisition card to better understand the hardware involved?

2.      What operating system is the Windows tablet PC running, and is it up-to-date?

3.      Can you specify the version of the Intel Graphics Command Center that you are currently using?

4.      Have you tried accessing display settings through the Windows operating system itself? If so, were you able to set a custom resolution from there?

5.      Are there any error messages or notifications that appear when you attempt to change the resolution through the Intel Graphics Command Center?

Also please provide us with the following files:

IGCC Report: Follow these steps to generate an Intel® Graphics Driver report for the Intel® Graphics Control Panel or the Intel® Graphics Command Center. Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers.

SSU: Please download and scan your system using our tool, Intel® System Support Utility so we can help check your system info first. Once finished downloading, open the tool, click on scan 'Everything', click next, then save the system information to a .txt file. Please provide the .txt file.

This document will be necessary to check your entire system, in order to find possible errors or incompatibilities.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
silvanet
Novice

This is an example of my subscribing to the graphics forum. I'm getting notified of every single post, not just replies to my question. I don't know if this helps me. What I see actually scares me, seeing so many problems with Arc and freezing ARC cards. I have to know if the Arc drivers are specifically for  Intel ARC graphics cards, or for the integrated graphics on the cpus.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Dear @silvanet,

We empathize with your concerns regarding Arc graphics cards potentially freezing. To better assist you, please submit a new question on the Arc community forums, and provide a detailed explanation of the situation to have a more personalized troubleshooting step for your issue.

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

0 Kudos
silvanet
Novice

No, thanks. I only replied to show you what is happening when I subscribed to the entire graphics forum and not just to the specific question I asked. I don't know how to get rid of the massive number of email notifications I'm receiving that don't matter to me, such as this particular thread.

0 Kudos
BJH
Beginner

Hello IsaacQ,

Here are the answers to your questions:

1.      Can you provide the make and model of the Windows tablet PC and the HDMI acquisition card to better understand the hardware involved?

The PC is the following: HP Elitebook 830 G8 notebook PC

The HDMI acquisition card is a generic chinese USB card which claims to support "up to 4k@60Hz" in input. Specifically it is the one at this link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005572526107.html

2.      What operating system is the Windows tablet PC running, and is it up-to-date?

Windows 11 with windows update up-to-date

3.      Can you specify the version of the Intel Graphics Command Center that you are currently using?

I do not know what version it is. How can I find this?

4.      Have you tried accessing display settings through the Windows operating system itself? If so, were you able to set a custom resolution from there?

The display settings in windows allow the user to select from a list of resolutions or, in advanced settings, to see all the resolutions (and Hz) explicitly supported by the monitor/card that will be receiving the video (I think). So setting a custom resolution in the Windows settings does not appear to be possible.

5.      Are there any error messages or notifications that appear when you attempt to change the resolution through the Intel Graphics Command Center?

No, there are no errors.

As to the files you requested, please find the SSU-generated file attached. The Report from the Intel Graphics Command Center cannot be generated as this is only for errors and no errors have occurred.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Dear @BJH,

Thank you for your response.

We would like to underscore the significance of the IGCC report in this context. The IGCC report serves as a comprehensive diagnostic tool, encompassing critical information beyond addressing specific issues or errors. It offers insights into essential aspects such as maximum resolution, IGCC version, refresh rate, and other pertinent details regarding your embedded display on the HP EliteBook 840 G8 Notebook PC. Additionally, it sheds light on any external displays you may be using, including their capabilities and limitations.

Your mention of desiring to output a 2160x1440 resolution to your PC via an HDMI acquisition card raises important questions. Are you aiming to achieve a 2K display resolution on the laptop's embedded screen, or is your intention to project this resolution on an external display or monitor? To facilitate a more accurate response, we kindly request that you provide us with the IGCC report. Furthermore, please specify whether you intend to display 2K resolution on your laptop screen or on an external display.

Should the latter be the case, we will not only require the IGCC report but also information regarding the make and model of the external display in use.

To know how to get the IGCC report: Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers

Furthermore, it is essential to underscore the significance of keeping your drivers up to date, as highlighted in the SSU report and the previously provided responses. It is noteworthy that Intel® offers generic software and driver versions. However, it is crucial to consider that when it comes to laptops, the computer manufacturer (OEM) may have introduced modifications, incorporated customizations, or implemented other adjustments.

To mitigate any potential issues stemming from the use of non-customized drivers, we strongly advise opting for the installation of drivers provided by the manufacturer. This proactive approach ensures compatibility and minimizes the risk of any adverse consequences associated with the use of generic drivers.

HP driver 31.0.101.4575 (Driver list)

If you are inquiring about the possibility of applying a 2K resolution or configuring a custom resolution for your laptop through the Intel Graphics Command Center (IGCC), I must inform you that such actions are not feasible due to certain limitations. As indicated in the System Support Utility (SSU) report, your display's maximum resolution is 1920 x 1080. Additionally, it's important to note that recent updates to the IGCC have led to the removal of the Custom Resolution setting for internal displays. This change was implemented because previous versions of the IGCC displayed the Custom Resolution option but were unable to actually apply custom resolutions.

It's essential to understand that this limitation is inherent to the hardware, and Intel has never had the capability to extend support for custom resolutions on internal driver displays due to these hardware constraints. Therefore, the inability to configure custom resolutions should be regarded as expected behavior.

For more information: Error: "Custom Resolution is Not Supported on Internal Displays" in Intel® Graphics Command Center

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello BJH,

Hope you're well. Have you checked our previous post about the IGCC report requested?

To clarify, we need this report to address your 2K resolution inquiry. However, please be aware that custom resolutions on internal displays are not supported due to hardware limitations.

Feel free to reach out if you require further assistance. Otherwise, the thread will be closed.

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello BJH

We hope you are doing fine.

We have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Isaac Q.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos