Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel Graphics Control Center and Graphics Command Center won‘t open on UHD 750 graphics

Merlin21
Beginner

Hi there,

i recently upgraded my HTPC from an old Core i5 2500K with a GTX 1050 to a Core i5 11600 with UHD 750 graphics on an Asus Prime Z590M-Plus MB with 2x 8GB of RAM. 
the Windows 10 home installation was migrated and everything (BIOS, Windows, every driver) is updated to the latest version and still I’m unable to open either the Graphics Control Center oder the newer Graphics Command Center. The actual DCH driver is installed.

Both have their respective services running but only the blue window opens, showing the Intel logo and the little balls going from left to right. I cannot see or change any settings there.

Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn’t help either.

I found a page at Intel with some suggestions for this issue but they don’t’ help.

So what can I do to see and edit my graphics settings?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Explain "the Windows 10 home installation was migrated ".

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
Merlin21
Beginner

I just changed the hardware. No clean installation. That's what i always do.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

That is not recommended.  I would do a clean instal.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I agree with Al. If the chipset and processor generation change, the O/S should be reinstalled - especially when jumping all the way from 2nd generation to 11th generation.

...S

0 Kudos
Merlin21
Beginner

Well, I just expected what you say but since W10 there generally is no clean install needed. I did that many times now on several machines during the last decade and since that would mean much spent time and work, there must be other options guys!

And I’m obviously not the only one with that issue…

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I would not want the baggage from 9 generations ago on any of my PCs.  And, 9 generations ago, there was no windows 10.

Yes, you might be able to hack through it and make it work.   A professional would never be satisfied with such a solution.

Backup your data, save your product keys, and do a clean install.  You will feel better in the morning.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

And don't forget, you can use your Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 license keys to install Windows 10. I won't say that that's 'free', but close to it!

...S

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Merlin21, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

Based on your post and the community, I recommend you get in contact with Microsoft to perform a clean installation of the operating system to have the correct steps.

If that does not work, please open a new thread since this one will be close.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Merlin21
Beginner

Hi,

the issue still persists and there was no update of either the driver or the control panels since then.

I shouldn’t have mentioned it in the first place but a new installation is absolutely no option because of the huge amount of time needed to have everything back as it is now.

Microsoft especially designed Windows 10 to adapt to completely or partially new hardware without issues. Normally that is working very well and - as I said - I did it many times during the last ten or so years. It even worked with Windows 7 but that’s another story. 
Regarding maintenance of the system (cleanups, etc.), I’m doing my best to keep all running fast and without issues. 

However, if I ask Google for this issue, I find many people who have the same problem and no solution for it. That is telling me that the chance of eliminating this problem with a complete reinstall is very small.

So please come up with some ideas oder maybe an update of components so that the issue can be fixed.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Merlin21
Beginner

So chaps, I fixed it by myself. And it was quite easy…

At first, I uninstalled both of the control panels and checked the contents of the Windows apps folder. There were some remains (five directories from one of the panels) which I manually deleted and then reinstalled the graphics command center app. That alone didn’t help because the IGCCTray.exe process always ended after one or two seconds and then the empty app window was shown - just like before. 
Then, I realized that I did not uninstall the former nVidia driver. After uninstalling it, the graphics command center app finally opened and worked!

Normally these two drivers should not block each other. On my notebook they both work together with the UHD 630 and the RTX 2070 GPUs.

So the issue could in fact be fixed without the unnecessary reinstall of everything…

I hope this will help other people with the same issue.

0 Kudos