Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Intel Graphics Control Panel 'Newer DCH' Request Issue

ADodd2
Beginner

Greetings,

I have a 2 year old Asus VivoMini and Asus Display. It's had an app called Intel Graphics Control Panel since purchase. App has worked fine and allowed me to adjust the display.

About 6 months ago it was 'gone'. When I try to run it I get a message I'm using an old version of Intel Graphics Driver and that I need the newer DCH version.

Device Manager informs I'm using the current version, Intel HD Graphics 630.

An article on the web informs that drivers for 630 are supported for DCH upgrade, yet no process allows me to do this. Leaving me without the Intel Graphics Control Panel, which leaves me unable to adjust display.

... help...

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AlHill
Super User

No, the DCH driver, once installed and the device is rebooted, will download the Intel graphics control panel. You will find it in the start menu under "Intel".

Doc

0 Kudos
ADodd2
Beginner

How or where do I download this driver. From Asus? Intel?

On the Asus page is something new from April --

des.jpg

When I download and try set up -- it activates that 'install anyway from the web thing' , which I get, but it always does it TWICE. As if I clicked set up TWICE. The 2nd time 'round it shows me THIS --

red.jpg

I stop here because I don't wish to downgrade. Right?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

What is your processor model number?

And, verify your OS and version number. Go to start, settings, system, about, and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Doc

0 Kudos
ADodd2
Beginner

1.jpg

64 bit, by the by

2.jpg

Thanks for help. Is that version build too old? I've been updating every time it will let me.

ONE OTHER THING -- This article suggests that the driver version number must be above 25.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers-windows-10

I'm at 23

23.jpg

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User
0 Kudos
ADodd2
Beginner

Thanks. I tried that install and got an error indicating the driver wasn't suited for my unit. That I should go through Asus.

I just noticed something odd. If you scroll up you see Asus offering me a driver version starting with a 24. However, in Device Manager, my current one starts with a 23.

How, therefore, can it be telling me I have a later version installed when apparently I do not?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Well, it is correct that you should go through Asus, as the graphics driver they provide may have been modified/customized for their hardware.

Download and save the EXE version on that page.

Then, follow my procedure here: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004Fm2ngSAB/how-to-install-the-dch-driver?language=en_US

Doc

0 Kudos
ADodd2
Beginner

Okay. It's (maybe) fixed? Let me explain what happened.

I followed your instructions. However, the system wouldn't allow me to manually install the 24. driver without access to 'Smartscreen' from Windows Defender. When I got around that I got some message saying indicating it didn't want the update. (Forgot what it said.)

Left with no choice I rebooted. When I did it installed the current Intel 25. driver. Soon thereafter the Intel Graphics Settings icon appeared in the system tray. Goal achieved.

In Device Manager, in a twisted moment of curiosity, I asked it to update the driver. To make sure I was using the most recent version of the 25. driver. It downgraded me back to a 23. driver and removed the Intel Graphics settings icon in the system tray. Sigh.

So I repeated the steps to get back up to the 25. driver and have stopped fussing with it.

So THANKS because at least my goal was achieved. (Is using Intel's driver instead of the Asus one bad?)

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Glad you have it working.

Doc

0 Kudos
ADodd2
Beginner

There was an extra element of confusion going on. The Windows app store offered an Intel Graphics Control app... but that isn't what Intel downloads and sticks in the system tray. So when I tried to open the app store app it continued giving me that error message. I deleted the app, thinking it would take the system tray thing with it -- but it didn't.

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello ADodd2,

I would like to know if you need further assistance?

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation. 

0 Kudos
ADodd2
Beginner
0 Kudos