Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20953 Discussions

Intel HD 4600 crashing in windows 10

JJoyn1
Beginner

I keep getting lockups followed by a windows error reporting that that driver crashed and has recovered.

It seems to crash far, far more often when trying to play fullscreen content on the net (YouTube, Vessel, etc)

It also crashes randomly when opening the start menu. This is on a brand new activated install of Windows 10 on a system I built for myself.

Any suggestions or advice? Thanks for reading.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi J-Joyner,

I suggest you to update the BIOS and motherboard drivers (Chipset and Management Engine) then, install the latest graphics driver available in our website.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25489/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen]

Make sure, you are not over clocking; from http://ark.intel.com/ ARK | Your Source for Intel® Product Specifications you can get the Processor Base Frequency.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
JJoyn1
Beginner

Done all that you suggested but the drivers are still crashing. It's just locked up three times in a row on a loop when I tried to open the Start menu.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi J-Joyner,

It is necessary to narrow down the issue, the graphics driver can give you low resolution performance or a blurry display. I recommend you to verify BIOS settings. Make sure your system is not over clocked. Verify processor speed and memory speed in the BIOS. I suggest you default BIOS settings.

Then, run our Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and review the results.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Download Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

If you need further assistance, please send me the results of IPDT and the results of Intel® System Support Utility

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
JJoyn1
Beginner

Hi again,

I am using an ASUS Z97 PRO variant motherboard with BIOS 2202.

I'm not running any over clock and loaded optimised defaults in the bios.

Please find attached results files from SSU and IPDT.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi J-Joyner,

I appreciated your replied. According to the results of Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool your processor is over clocked. It is working at 3.746GHz while the base frequency is 3.50GHz. The Optimized setting of BIOS over clocks the processor.

"CPU Frequency Test

Module Version: 1.0.14.64b.W

Start Time: Thu Feb 04 10:55:55 2016

Test Result - PASS

Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz

Expected CPU Frequency: 3.50

Detected CPU Frequency: 3.74618

Expected Base Clock: 100

Detected Base Clock: 101.248

Expected frequency - The highest frequency at which the tested processor was manufactured to operate

Detected frequency - The frequency at which the tested processor is currently operating

Power management modes can create marginally higher or lower detected frequency than expected frequency. Small variations in clock frequencies are common."

My recommendation, change manually the Base Clock to 100 instead of 101.248.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
JJoyn1
Beginner

I am running XMP for my memory. Would that also change BCLK?

I ran the test several times over while watching the clock rates in CPU-Z and never saw the BCLK go past 99.98MHz.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi J-Joyner,

It is recommended to run memories according to processor specifications. The Intel® Core™ i5-4690K supports memories of DDR3-1333/1600, DDR3L-1333/1600 at 1.5V. Memory with higher speed over clocks the processor.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
JJoyn1
Beginner

Hello again,

It's been a few months and the issue has persisted through all of your driver updates.

I've wiped overclocks and ran at stock for the last month which has done nothing. Memory is running at base clock which is in spec with my motherboard and the processor.

I can not use my system for anything without the driver eventually crashing. Any video playback is blackscreened and lost. YouTube, iTunes movie playback are examples of this.

Are there any additional steps I can take to try and solve this.

0 Kudos