Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20621 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 3000/2000 (Sandy bridge) Windows 10 Graphics Driver support?

nkef
Novice

According to http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm Graphics Drivers — Supported Operating Systems there is no support of Intel HD Graphics 3000 for Windows 10.

When the support for Windows 10 for Intel HD Graphics 3000 will arrive?

Will be the new WDDM 2.0 driver model be supported for Intel HD Graphics 3000 for Windows 10?

Thanks,

nkef

1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Please check Windows Update. It is included in the Control Panel in Windows. To check for updates: Click the Start button, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.

There is an inbox Graphics driver which has been provided to Microsoft* to enable Windows 10* for 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 3000/2000/etc. (Sandy Bridge). If your computer is capable, Windows Update should update the Graphics driver. No further Intel Graphics drivers will be provided for Sandy Bridge.

Edit details: fixed trademarking errors and eliminated acronyms that not all users could understand (e.g. WU = Windows Update, SNB = SandyBridge).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
135 Replies
LCruc
Novice

hi Bryce,

thank you for taking some time and actually make a human response for us.

although I can understand what it means supporting a lot of products over more OS' (I'm a developer myself, and I know what compatibility issues arise from one OS to another) I don't fully agree with you.

when Intel is making a product, we, the customers, expect it to be supported until the hardware becomes obsolete... imo this usually means up to 6-7 years, at least.

I mean, com'on, it's Intel we're talking about, not just some small crappy company!!!

it's not like you're starting from scratch with this driver, I'm sure it can be adapted from an older version or something. we're not expecting inovations here, we're just expecting a decent driver. that's all... I've already seen there are some leshcat drivers that seems to be ok (at least some people say so, I haven't tried these drivers myself as I'm not comfortable installing 3rd party drivers for intel products). if those guys did it, why can't you?

if intel can't support its devices more than 2-3 year, they should let us know before we buy these products. this way I know I should not spend $1500+ for a laptop, but just spend $5-600 so that I can throw it away after 2-3 years... and buy another one, maybe with AMD, and not intel inside. I'm not a company to afford changing my laptop every 2-3 years... if you're making products only for big companies, why don't you guys say so from the begining?

what if microsoft will do the same as intel and announce they stop supporting windows 7 starting with next year because w7 it's already kind of an old OS and they already provided an alternative to w7, which is free windows 10 update? what should I do with my laptop (which is still better than most of the laptops on the market today... after I upgraded its hardware with AC wireless, SSD and 16G of RAM)?

anyways, if you just keep the current track, you might get small enough to have the necessary resources to support all of your products. unhappy customers means bad business, at least from my experience...

oh, one more thing, please keep allan away from the keyboard.

or better yet ... just unplug it! you'll help us better this way

(sorry allan, but you really sounded like a bad record... try listening the customer complaints before giving an answer, and not just play the same record over and over again no matter what)

best regards,

liviu

PBake1
Beginner

Hi, it is fine to say "I know, 4-5 years doesn't seem like much, though it's still considerable for a PC" that might be true from the start of the product but you need to consider the end of product life cycle. Many of us have products that are not even two years old that can no longer be upgraded:-( This is not acceptable. Having run a software support team I also understand about support policy vs. product age. However companies like Microsoft have announced support policy for products like Windows XP and the revisited them in the light of customer feedback about it being unacceptable. I believe Intel should do the same if they don't want people to go an buy products with dedicated graphics cards... Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
gbhj
New Contributor I

the way Intel has handled this is not good compared to the competitors (in order from worst to best )

Intel: non shader model 5 GPUs are not supported anymore

AMD: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Driver-Support-for-AMD-Radeon%e2%84%a2-HD-4000%2c-HD-3000%2c-HD-2000-and-older-Series.aspx Driver Support for AMD Radeon™ HD 4000, HD 3000, HD 2000 and older Series drivers for old GPUs have the old drivers made compatible with windows 10

Nvidia: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/87987/en-us NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce Windows 10 Driver Nvidia made new drivers for all GPU that are supported

lastly all shader model 5 GPU (Ivy Bridge and up) can support openGL 4.5 and DirectX 12 it looks bad when the windows driver has less support than the Linux driver e.g all shader model 5 Nvidia GPUs support openGL 4.5 https://developer.nvidia.com/opengl-driver OpenGL Driver Support | NVIDIA Developer the same with AMD

idata
Employee

FACTs:

Sandy Bridge 2nd gen cpu with intel HD 3000 was only about 2 years old, when Windows 8.1 appeared. Still intel did not support the intel HD 3000 with WDDM 1.3 driver. Why do you insist that you support a product for 4-5 years when you did drop support for intel HD 3000 in 2 years?????

Fascinating. Whaoo.

I don't want this to sound like a rant, but I'm genuinely vexed,. Seriously, intel what is wrong?? Please support us.

RMaco
Novice

Fact is also that Intel is not interested in this problems, as a lot of people are not aware that this problems exist. I am working in the IT-business and I did not realise that the Win8.1 64 bit driver was some sort of scam. But now that I know I will defenitly reconsider to support Intel in the future, and I will a inform a lot of people that intel does not support their hardware properly. two years support is not ok!

So also from me, please reconsider.

0 Kudos
mMMA
Beginner

@I can`t believe how freely tou say "well we will not support w10" first the step from 8 to 10 is compulsory since you get an official update insisting on upgrading to w10 every day, second YOU ARE ACTUALLY STILL SELLING NEW COMPUTERS WITH THIS CHIPSET, it`s not that it has 5 years or so you take it out of the store, happy because you bought an "intel inside" wich is actually quite pricier than the competition and then you thiefs and liars just say well... we kind of lost interest in your "intel inside"

JHanc2
Beginner

For a company with a monopoly on the industry and net income of $3.6 billion on revenue of $14.9 BILLION in Q4 2015 ALONE, I find it absurd to think you can't spare $10k on tens of thousands of loyal customers who pay your bills to support a 3 yr old laptop that cost me $1500.00. As far as comparing your dropping support of a popular chipset upon a major OS release to not being able to officially upgrade an android device is moronic at best. Android is for the most part an open platform and I can easily have your Galaxy tab running a hacked version of KitKat in a matter of an hour or less. Partly because Android is open and Intel goes out of their way to prevent home hacked driver support. But alas it's tax time again and instead of pulling the trigger on that new Intel based build in my shopping cart on Newegg, I will be building AMD until you pull your heads out of your collective rear-ends.

gbhj
New Contributor I

Bryce@Intel

other gpu manufactures are more open about how long there gpus are supported

gpu makerfull supportlegacy supporttotal years of supportintel1 (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25620/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-6th-Gen- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40 6th Gen])4 (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25698/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-3rd-Gen-BYT- Download Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows 7*, 8.1*, 10 (3rd Gen & BYT))5amd4 (http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64 Desktop)6 (http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Driver-Support-for-AMD-Radeon%e2%84%a2-HD-4000%2c-HD-3000%2c-HD-2000-and-older-Series.aspx Driver Support for AMD Radeon™ HD 4000, HD 3000, HD 2000 and older Series)10nvidia6 (http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/96882/en-us NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL)4 (http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/94793/en-us NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce 341.92 Driver)10

it is also important to compare the capabilities that the different gpus have e.g no intel gpu support openGL 4.5

both nvidia and amd created windows 10 drivers for there older gpu's

the nvidia tx1 and tk1 can run the arm builds of windows 10 and support openGL 4.5 and directX 12

you could always get a new Skylake which works terrific on the new OS.

do you have proof of this because there are lots of posts about skylake not working well

DKing4
Novice

Thank you for your honest words. More frustrating than anything is not getting an answer, not the actual hardware issue.

I rolled back to Win7 and it WiDi works great. Hell, my laptop runs better overall!

DH5
Beginner

Seriously, we are talking 2016, do you see the solution like going back in time to win 7. I see Bryce@Intel

likes the idea, (no surprise) but really.....

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Intel is avoiding driver development for intel hd 3000 2nd gen cpus (aka sandy bridge) because their personnel are working on newer technologies. My i7-2640m is only 4 years supported. Is intel 5 years support a scam????

We don't accept any discounts on driver development and the 5 years continuous support for 2nd gen CPUs with integrated intel hd 3000 IGP. Widi is a feature which is supported by intel for 5 years otherwise intel is in high risk of loosing customers and reputation as a CPU market leader with only 4 years support on their IGP graphics card (openCL 1.2 and openGL 3.3 are still not supported by their driver) and WiDi is not working with windows 10 (7, 8, 8.1 is fine). The reason is obviously intel personnel or intel development team absence. Intel you can stop support if you wish, but do you think that companies that have followed a similar attitude are still existent or have they moved to liquidation or became dissolved due to lawsuits or due to bad client support causing client dissatisfaction and aversion thus stopped any business with their service/product provider?

We are not begging. It is an intel obligation to provide support and we are asking for it as part of our purchase right for a 5 year support.

0 Kudos
DH5
Beginner

I am a bit worried, Intel have now - I admit, with a little help of us, manged to split this discussion into at least three treads, should we try to keep it, when it comes to WiDi 2nd generation processor on Windows 10 to: /message/370604# 370604 Widi in Window 10

And thereby stop Intels policy of "divide and rule".

BUT we are still waiting for a qualified answer to WHY Intel will not support the 2nd gen. processors with WiDi new drivers:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I urge intel to reconcider. There are many of us who are using windows 8.1 and windows 10 and intel products.

I have intel centino ultimate N-6300

Intel i5 vPro 2nd gen processor

I am currently now using windows 8.1

Intel HD 3000 graphics card

Intel widi is working with my miracast rk2928 dongle with 3.5.41.0 driver only

We need both wddm 1.3 and 2.0 support urgently.

If a direct X hardware upgrade is possible through bios this should have been offered to the pc companies too.

Intel hd 3000 only hardware supports up to direct X 10.1

I am using Intel products due to support. If the support is removed there is no reason for me to continue to support intel products.

Note.

1. Windows 8.1 passmark graphics performance test benchmark is not as good as windows 8.0 which is on par with windows 7.0. With wddm 1.3 driver support this problem will be resolved.

2. I am using windows 8.1 due to direct X 11 support (needed by apps like kodi) even though the cpu needs to do more work since graphics card only hardware supports up to direct X 10.1.

DBrev
Beginner

Hi,

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad (3 years old) and after installing Win10 I found the same problem with the driver. I tried different solutions (also install a third party driver as suggested) but nothing works. Finally I should revert to windows 7. I'm very disappointed about that so please Intel consider to change your mind and restart supporting this driver.

Daniele

LXyz
Beginner

I have an Acer Aspire E1-531 with HD 3000 Sandybridge, In the last 2 days I bought a Dell P2414H monitor and installed Win 10.

In 8.1 the laptop and the hdmi worked fine together, now (with the new external monitor connected to VGA) when i insert the hdmi cable in his door, the monitor just stops working.

I've been searching for a solution for hours but after this 5 pages i fear there is no solution at all.

0 Kudos
mMMA
Beginner

@I can`t believe how freely tou say "well we will not support w10" first the step from 8 to 10 is compulsory since you get an official update insisting on upgrading to w10 every day, second YOU ARE ACTUALLY STILL SELLING NEW COMPUTERS WITH THIS CHIPSET, it`s not that it has 5 years or so you take it out of the store, happy because you bought an "intel inside" wich is actually quite pricier than the competition and then you thiefs and liars just say well... we kind of lost interest in your "intel inside"

CReme
Novice

It's sad hear from Intel that our chipset is no longer supported by them.

I think Intel should do something, since this compatibility driver problem will affect more and more user around the world.

While Windows 8/8.1 has a smaller public, I'm pretty sure that it will be different with Windows 10.

Windows 10 is rising their participation in the market, the messages to update are poping-up in every computer in the world.

Also, it's sad to see that my VGA NVidia has WDDM 2.0 support and full compatibility with Windows 10, and my Intel HD 3000 doesn't have.

I though Intel was a more compromised company with their customers.

Please, we beg you to support us.

idata
Employee

windows 8.0 is working fine same as windows 7.

windows 8.1 supports new wddm 1.3 drivers. Intel HD 3000 wddm 1.3 driver was never produced which means legacy support. The Direct 3D WEI performance score of windows 8.1 is very low. The Windows experience index (dos winsat command) fails to run on d3d 10. it only runs D3D 9. Intel failed to produce a windows 8.1 proper driver with similar D3D performance as previous windows 8.0 WEI score. windows 8.1 however works fine though as I said a better direct 3D driver is needed to run direct 3d version 10 too.

windows 10 is wddm 2.0.

Intel HD 3000 driver is wddm 1.2. Intel has stopped developing the driver since windows 8.0 which means 2 years support.

According to passmark performance test it is the 2D graphics that is very slow in windows 8.1 compared to my windows 8.0 passmark test. The win 8.1 3d graphics passmark test is the same as in Windows 8.0 and 7.0. However the directcompute is not supported in the latest intel 9.17.10.4229 igd. Did intel forget the directcompute 4.1 support????

I think there is a bug with WEI program in windows 8.1 and a a 2D low performance driver, a directcompute 4.1 missing feature, and a wddm 1.3 compatibility issue.

I really hope that Intel supports cpus/integrated graphics up to 5-7 years and both win8.1 win10 drivers are produced together with opencl 1.2 support.

----

Additional information

I was able to run directcompute tests with latest intel HD 3000 driver, in windows 8.1 x64, when I added wrap under dxcpl and added the 4 directcompute apps in the list (passmark performance test then run all 4 directcompute tests without problem).

RMaco
Novice

I just read an articel on heise.de that there is no support from Microsoft for Windows 8 from this day forward.

So I can say that my Intel based Notebook, delivered with Windows 8, is now obsolete, because there were no full drivers provided by Intel.

This laptop is not even three years old and because of Intel it is not save to use in the future.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

there was a free windows 8.1 update (from windows 8.0) if I am not mistaken but windows 8.0 had wddm 1.2 support and better 2d benchmark performance. It worked great but I did not like the user interface.

I adore windows 8.1 but has two issues. I hope intel can sort out the intel hd 3000 driver problem and winsat and increase a bit the 2d performance (desktop graphic performance) to match windows 8.0.

0 Kudos
RMaco
Novice

But if I am not mistaken, Intel did not even release 64bit native Windows 8.1 driver, only legacy ones. Also the performance was worse than with windows 7 or 8. Did not you tell us this?

0 Kudos