Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20638 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 4600 problems on new Driver on Windows 10!

ACarv3
Novice

Hi,

I have a laptop Asus K450JF with a graphic Intel HD Graphics 4600 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M.

You never gave me any trouble on Windows 8.1. Now I installed Windows 10 and installed the latest driver from intel. But now I have graphics problems. In<span style="color: # 222222; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16...

44 Replies
ZUl_A
Beginner

I did clean install twice but the problem persists 😕

As soon as the driver installs, the colors change forever!

0 Kudos
JKent
Novice

Well, that sort of defeats the purpose of an Update vs an Upgrade. I have no wish to uninstall 15 programs which verify my registration online, and then go through the process of re-registering and re-authorizing. Even Microsoft Office demanded a re-authorization when I updated from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro.

I have disabled automatic driver installation, uninstalled the old drivers, rebooted, and tried to install the recommended drivers from Intel - and they won't install. That process even wiped out my audio drivers, which I had to re-install separately. Windows 10 install what it wants.

By the way, uninstalling the Intel driver and using the native Windows drivers permits me a maximum 1024x768 screen. This, after purchasing an HD computer that until now gave me 1920x1080.

Sorry, clean install is not an option and with my experience will not work in any case.

0 Kudos
JDoya
Novice

If you're having issues do the following

1) Find some older stable drivers for Windows 8.1. Whatever you were using before will probably work fine. But experiment

2) Install those drivers instead

3) Go to "Advanced Windows Update"

4) Click the "Defer Updates" box

The Defer Updates box will prevent Windows 10 from auto-updating the driver to the bad Windows 10 one and continue to use your existing older driver instead. You will still get critical Windows updates.

Then wait for Intel to update the Win10 drivers

ELara
Novice

"probably" have you tried or not? If yes is better than the generic drivers?

0 Kudos
JDoya
Novice

I'm currently using the drivers from Asus for my laptop and they work fine. YMMV depending on the drivers you use.

0 Kudos
ELara
Novice

can some one confirm the last post ? (in Windows 10 ofc)

@doyama so to be clear what are you saying is using windows 8.1 driver in windows 10 ?

0 Kudos
SChun13
Novice

I've found a temporary solution to make the generic windows driver stick (so far, a day of testing..)

After windows has forcibly installed the latest driver head to Device Manager right click on the Intel HD Graphics 4600 and click Update Driver Software... > Browse my Computer... > Let me Pick.. and click on Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Do the following again if you wanna use your monitor except choose the Intel.

Hope that helps

RAdin
Novice

Just now, it seems that I did something that apparently fix this screen problem.

Basically, here's the thing that I did to get the screen fixed:

1. From Windows 8.1, upgrade to Windows 10. Screen got weird in the middle of the process (around 32%)

2. After done upgrading, turn off Wi-Fi in login screen using fn+F12. (the point is to prevent the computer from accessing the internet)

3. After login and Windows have finished configuring apps, uninstall Intel HD Graphics 4600 using Device Manager (Run->devmgmt.msc)

4. Restart, and screen color goes normal (and bright, as you can't change the brightness).

5. Install Intel HD Graphics driver using https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25150/Intel-Iris-Iris-Pro-and-HD-Graphics-Production-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit this version, screen will be going weird in the middle of the process, restart when finished.

6. Install Nvidia Geforce driver (download it http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us here). Restart when finished.

7. Do what samchungy did /message/319668# 319668 here. (basically, switch to generic windows display driver while keeping the Intel's display driver using Device Manager).

8. Restart your laptop after doing step 7. The screen color should be normal and the brightness is at maximum.

9. Turn on Wi-Fi and connect to your WLAN, ensure that you have working internet connection.

10. Open Windows Update, and click "Check for updates". If there's any error, try again. (to be honest, I did encounter an error once, then I click "Try again")

11. After a while, there will be "Device attached" sound playing and screen brightness is reduced. This probably means that the laptop is now using Intel's driver. The screen color should be stay normal at this point.

12. Verify that it is indeed using Intel HD Graphics 4600 in Device Manager.

Extra steps:

13. For safety measure, run Command Prompt (elevated) and type "sfc /scannow" and hit enter. It should not found any integrity violation.

14. If still unsure, run "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth".

That's all I did to get my laptop screen back to normal. FYI my laptop model is X450JF. Thanks for reading and I hope that the same procedure will work for you too.

RAdin
Novice

In step 2, it should be F2, not F12.

0 Kudos
ELara
Novice

So less CPU usage with intel driver?

0 Kudos
RAdin
Novice

I don't know whether Intel's driver have less CPU usage than Microsoft's generic driver, but I can tell you that my laptop's CPU usage when idle is around 1-6 percent (mostly at 2%).

0 Kudos
RCorr2
Beginner

Thank you Razon

Worked like a charm!

Finally.

0 Kudos
JSamp3
Novice

I guess what razon11 said is working

I already had the basic display driver and nvidia driver installed so I just had to update the basic display driver (like he said) and now is working !!!

brightness and sleep function are back .. finally !!!

0 Kudos
ACarv3
Novice

Hello guys, now received an update on Windows 10 on windows update. somebody else received?

Seems to have provided an older version of the driver, more can anyone confirm this?

0 Kudos
JDoya
Novice

Its a slightly older version of the driver. But at least for me it still causes the laptop to die in sleep mode

0 Kudos
ELara
Novice

axcs yes!

Good news new driver, all good no color problem. Got a blue screen may be because I was using flash while installing the driver, all good now!

I don't know about the sleep/suspension problem

P.S thank you intel for fixing my problem

0 Kudos
BMan2
Beginner

Can confirm what axcs and Razon11 are doing is working

Basically either of their methods will downgrade Intel's driver back to the last working version which is 10.18.15.4248 from June 29th

So if you are still having problems downgrade to that version and wait for Intel to (hopefully) release a fix

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

All:

This information is intended to all Windows 10 users that are experiencing issues with a supported Intel® Graphics Controller (http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm supported graphics)

See post # 93

Allan.

0 Kudos
ILee12
Beginner

Can someone using an Asus K450JF or equivalent model confirm whether the new driver 15.40.4.64.4256 has solved this problem? Thanks!

0 Kudos
ACarv3
Novice

Hi repbasic!

I have this model, and confirm the new driver driver 15.40.4.64.4256 solve this problem. Is safe now upgrade to Windows 10

The own Windows Update will give you a stable version of the driver that fixes this problem.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi axcs

Don't get me wrong, I'm tickled pink this is resolved for you, but you posted this issue to the 4256 driver announcement, though you're saying the 4256 resolves it for you? Could you help clarify? Was it failing originally with 4256 then somehow it is now resolved for you while still using 4256? I just need to know how to close this one out if needed. Thanks.

0 Kudos