Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 530 blocking external monitor (HDMI)

nCAQGhbh
Beginner

So my Lenovo Thinkpad P50 laptop has had occasional problems with my external monitor, where the monitor does not receive input and goes into sleep-mode. Reconnecting the HDMI in both the monitor and laptop does not change anything, but putting my laptop on standby a few times always did the trick.

Since yesterday it does however not work anymore. I've put my laptop to standby over 20 times now, restarted it, completely shut it off and reconnected all the cables.

My Lenovo Thinkpad P50 has 2 display adapters under 'Device Manager':
- Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
- NVIDIA Quadro M1000M

The weird thing is that when I uninstalled the Intel display adapter the external monitor suddenly received input and functioned as intended. Then, after restarting to reinstall the display adapter, it went back to sleep. Now that I have disabled the Intel HD Graphics 530 display adapter under device manager, both the external monitor as well as the laptop monitor are working fine.

Anyone knows what is causing this problem?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

nCAQGhbh, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance and dtermine what is causing this problem, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the external monitor?

Are you using adapters or converters to connect the external monitor?

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello nCAQGhbh, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
nCAQGhbh
Beginner

Hi Albert,

Sorry for the late response.

What is the model of the external monitor?
AOC I2381HF

Are you using adapters or converters to connect the external monitor?
No, just a regular HDMI connection

Is this a new computer?
No, the laptop (Thinkpad P50) is around 5 years old

Was it working fine before?
Some minor issues with the screen not turning on but always solved it by putting laptop in standby and turning it back on.

When did the issue start?
I've had some minor issues with my laptop not recognizing my monitor for some months now, but when I turned my laptop to standby and turn it back on, the problem was usually resolved. The problem got worse 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?
Not that I know of

Which Windows* version are you using?
Windows 10 Home

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?
Home, I have the external monitor at home.

I have attached the SSU report.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi nCAQGhbh, No problem at all, thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

After reviewing the SSU report, we can confirm that the current graphics driver installed in your system is version 21.20.16.5174.

Just to let you know, normally, we recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

I looked in Lenovo's website and for some reason, there is no driver from Intel® in there, there is only a driver for the Nvidia graphics controller. 

I can see also confirm in the SSU that your laptop works with an Nvidia graphics controller as well and based on what you mentioned: "when I uninstalled the Intel display adapter the external monitor suddenly received input and functioned as intended", "Now that I have disabled the Intel HD Graphics 530 display adapter under device manager, both the external monitor as well as the laptop monitor are working fine", and the fact that Lenovo does not have an Intel® graphics driver available, that seems to indicate the Intel® graphics driver might not be needed or recommended:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cr/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-p-series-laptops/thinkpad-p50/downloads/driver-list/

Still, you can always try a clean installation of Intel® Graphics driver version 27.20.100.9466 following the instructions in the links below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30381/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

Additionally, we suggest to get in contact directly with Lenovo to confirm that the latest BIOS version is currently installed or to gather the instructions on how to do that, to verify if they have an Intel® Graphics driver tested and validated by them as the proper one for your platform, and if necessary for them to do a physical inspection of the computer since the issue could be related to a hardware problem with of the components of the system:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello nCAQGhbh, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello nCAQGhbh, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos