Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 530 driver causing screen flickering

INajj
Novice

Dear Intel Support Team,

I have recently purchased a new laptop, a custom built https://www.bto.eu/bto-x-book-15cl73.html# product-specs X BOOK.

The laptop is fitted with an Intel Core i7-6700HQ quad-core and a GeForce GTX 960M 2GB.

The graphics adapter is an Intel® HD Graphics 530.

The operating system is a Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

I have a flickering screen problem that is very annoying, the screen keeps flashing on and off, even sometimes showing thin green horizontal lines and this doesn't

go away with a restart or a shutdown.

I disabled the adapter and everything worked fine.

I have the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25484/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- latest version of the driver for the 64 bit CPU architecture.

One thing worth mentioning, is that I didn't have the problem until I installed Visual Studio 2015 !!

I reset my operating system and everything was fine until I installed Visual Studio 2015 again.

Kindest Regards,

Ibrahim Najjar

109 Replies
SLind1
Beginner

Same issue here with a brand new Dell OptiPlex 7040. Only one Monitor connected via DisplayPort or HDMI causes flickering.

Reducing the screen resolution from 1920x1200 (when it flickers) to 1600x1200 solve the problem too.

Adding a second monitor and clone display or extend display fix this problem.

Latest Intel drivers installed.

Curious.

INajj
Novice

Changing the resolution temporarily helps, but that is an ugly looking screen now !

0 Kudos
SLind1
Beginner

After deinstalling the Visual C++ Redistributable für Visual Studio 2012 the flickering stops as well.

Not a solution, but maybe a hint.

0 Kudos
INajj
Novice

This solves the problem somehow, but I still get glitches now and then especially when watching a video file !

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

According to Microsoft there is a flicker fix in driver v4308 - https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/install-update-activate/surface-book-update-history?os=windows-10 Microsoft Surface Book update history | Surface firmware updates

"HD Graphics 520 driver update (v20.19.15.4308) addresses some display issues, including some scenarios that result in screen flickering."

Which barebone does your notebook have? I already got driver v4312 via Windows update.

INajj
Novice

I have the latest updates from Microsoft. It doesn't help though.

0 Kudos
manti
Novice

I'm experiencing the same exact issue with my dell XPS 15. The screen will flicker and the intel driver will report that it crashed and recovered several times.

I'm running with version v20.19.15.4300 from dell. 4308 Does not appear to be available to Intel 530 users.

There are several documented cases in the dell forums that are experiencing this issue with the xps 15 (i7 6700hq\ GTX 960M) model 9550.

Please fix this intel! This kind of out of box instability is unacceptable for a $2000 machine. If there isn't a patch by the end of the week I will most likely return the unit.

0 Kudos
manti
Novice

Can we at least get acknowledgment from Intel that this is an identified issue with skylake?

manti
Novice
0 Kudos
manti
Novice
0 Kudos
DPace
Beginner

I have a new Alienware 13 R2 with an Intel 520 and the latest 4300 drivers and I'm experiencing the same problem. It randomly flickers whenever I use the built-in display. I'll try reducing the resolution and installing the C++ Redistributable and see if that makes a difference.

0 Kudos
DPace
Beginner

Lowering the resolution did not work and I cannot uninstall the c++ redist. because it is used by another program. I ended up disabling the Intel 520 driver and now my laptop is using MS Basic Driver and it's not flickering.

0 Kudos
INajj
Novice

It's not much of help. I still have glitches and flickers after I did that and it also prevents you from enjoying the full power and resolution of your adapter/screen.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello all,

Please fill out the following form and post it here, make sure to follow closely all the instructions so we can investigate this matter.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
INajj
Novice

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Screen turning on and off ( flickering ) and sometimes even some lines (gray or green) appear across the screen.

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

Yes it is happening 100% of the time. Restarting nor shutting off and starting again helps.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Processor : 6e generatie Intel® Core™ processor (Intel Skylake)

Chipset: Mobile Intel® HM170 Express Chipset

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

I have an NVIDIA graphics card of type: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX960M 2GB GDDR5

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP</s...
0 Kudos
INajj
Novice

To other users following this discussion. Recently Microsoft rolled up an update in November which upgrades your Windows 10 system.

The update version is : Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586] <------ this is what you see why you type "ver" in a command line interface after installing the upgrade.

I have this update running for a couple of days now and I must say that the problems with the flickering screen seems to have disappeared.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello IbrahimNajjar,

Thank you for sharing this information let's hope that this new update can work for all the users. If the issue reappears let us know so we can investigate this further.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
DPace
Beginner

I have the update and the issue continues on my Alienware 13 R2

0 Kudos
REuge
Beginner

Hi Amy_Intel. I'm also having issues with my display blinking, the display will just go blank or black for a few seconds and the display will come back to what I had before it went blank. Please take a look at the information below and please let me know if you need more info. Thank you.

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Screen becomes blank

for a couple of seconds from time to time

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

It fails from time

to time.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

HP 800 EliteDesk G2

Small form Factor

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Just Intel HD

Graphics 530

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see 

note2 below).

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

EFP: EliteDisplay

E232 Display port to display port connection

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

XXXWH...

0 Kudos
MVale6
Beginner

Hello - Similar issues with HD530 graphics driver as the others. Momentary flickers. In Outlook 2016 when I move from folder to folder, I receive partial screen blackout just for a second. Very irritating! I have received a number of Windows notifications that the "HD530 driver had momentarily failed but recovered - on Windows 8.1". I'm running Windows 10 Home. I went to the Lenovo website and downloaded the latest driver as per Lenovo support but that failed to improve anything. Here's a snapshot of my HD Graphics Control Panel:

0 Kudos