Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20600 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 620 Driver for Windows 8.1

idata
Employee

Hi,

I have got a HP Envy x360 laptop with Intel i5 -8250U CPU (https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-envy-15-bp100-x360-convertible-pc/16851044/model/18280362/document/c05740233 full specs). It has got Intel HD Graphics 620 card.

I have installed Windows 8.1 Pro x64 on it. I am not able to adjust screen brightness on this computer. Then I realised that it is the graphics driver issue.

Microsoft doesn't support Windows 8.1 Pro officially which was disappointing to learn as it is not such an old Windows, but I prefer it to Windows 10.

I have read around that there might be a workaround - /thread/108407 source question. It seems you can make some changes to the drivers file and disable driver signatures temporarily, and then I might be able to resolve this problem. But I don't fully understand which files to change and how.

Please note it is 8th generation Intel i5 CPU processor.

Could someone guide me please? That will be really appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Support of only Windows 10 on 7th gen and later processors has been known for more than two years. It is time for you to accept that fact.

There are no drivers for anything less than windows 10. And, hacks as you suggest are not supported here.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005526/graphics-drivers.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Graphics Products

Also, if Windows 8.1 was supported on the HP hardware, they would have a driver. But, they do not.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Or, avoid the problem altogether by going to Windows 10. Hacks like the above are not supported here.

Doc

0 Kudos
IInma
Novice

Doc,

I find Windows 8.1 is less intensive resource wise than Windows 10.

For example, when I boot into Windows 10 the first thing it does is try to see what updates are available. I n Windows 8.1, I have more control over when updates are downloaded in that I'm set up so I am told when there are updates and I can choose to download them when I want. This is quite important given I don't have the fastest broadband connection in that I can do what I need to do before downloading updates takes up my bandwidth.

Separately form that, Windows 8.1 is just that bit punchier speed-wise and it's operation is to me a lot cleaner (Windows 8.1 is what the awful Windows 8 should have been from the beginning).

I have thus set up both my PCs as dual boot between Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 and the former is my preferred platform on both.

Given the "hack" as you call or edit as I call it on the " igdlh64.inf" file is not too difficult, I am at a loss as to why Intel has excluded older versions of Windows from this and similar drivers. Windows 7, for example, is still preferred by many and is still being supported up to January 14th 2020. Windows 8.1 is still also receiving updates from Microsoft.

I'll add other graphics chip providers still provide drivers for older versions of Windows within reason and Intel not doing similar as far back as Windows 7 seems strange to me.

So in the absence of actual support, we find our own solution via a minor script edit to an official driver ".inf" file. I don't see what is wrong with that as long as the edit is not a malicious one.

If Intel is concerned such edits are not to the benefit of users, then why hasn't a moderator on here deleted the links to my and other edits across the forum?

Ian (Doggerland_Mackem)

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You continue your love affair with Windows 8.1. But, hacks (such as yours) are not supported, which you do not seem to understand. I am certain you think you are getting away with something and touting your inf editing skills. W8.1 fascinates you? Why not Windows 7? Why not XP?

"our own solution"? For whom are you speaking?

No, you are only fooling yourself into a false sense of accomplishment. AND, YOU ARE UNSUPPORTED. Stop trying to convince others your HACK is acceptable.

Doc

0 Kudos
nmetrock
Beginner

Windows 8.1 is not fascinating for any reason other than it was the last honest version of Windows. It doesn't seem like @AlHill knows how to steel man their opponent's argument.

@everyone The artificial cutoff is easily bypassed. The way they present the reasoning to the end user is extremely deceitful and misleading.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/No-Intel-HD-Graphics-620-Driver-for-Windows-8-1/m-p/1382407/highlight/true#M107676

Cheers.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@nmetrock Now you dredge up a 3-year old thread just to jump on me.  And, you do not know didly about Windows - you just think you do.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos