Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 630, the display turns black during mid-installation & remains stuck

Rahul0
Novice
Upon installing Intel HD graphics driver 630(any version), the display turns black during mid-installation. On black screen I had to force shutdown my laptop and upon restarting the screen stuck at acer logo screen post bios and remains there like forever.

The only solution is to enter safe mode and disable Intel graphics device (not driver) from device manager. Then on restarting, the display automatically shifts to Nvidia and works fine but OpenGL programs (Blender, Paraview, etc.) are crashing on startup, even 3D rendering software are not displaying 3D objects. I have tried selecting from nvidia control panel: global and program settings to specific programs but the issue still remains.

I have tried manufacturer's driver from acer website (this), Intel latest driver (this) and even the beta version, and had no breakthrough. Also tried the compatibility troubleshooter with Windows 8 and Windows 7, none of them worked.openGL.PNG
OpenGL version is showing 1.1, which is not enough for the 3D rendering programs to work.
please anyone, I have been searching everywhere for a solution. Help 

I have attached intel report, device info from acer, dxdiag  report.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Jean_Intel

Hello Rahul0,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

To better assist you, please provide me with the following:

• Does the black screen issue only appear after updating the driver?
  • What is the Acer driver version you tried to install? There are two different driver options available on their website.
  • Does the black screen option persists on save mode?
  • Try using an external monitor and check if you experience the same behavior.
  • Is there any error message when the Open GL program crashes?
  • You mentioned that you used a compatibility troubleshooter with Windows 8 and 7. Does it mean that you have tried both of these operating systems?

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Rahul0
Novice

Hey, thank you for your reply. Here are the answers of your questions

Q: Does the black screen issue only appear after updating the driver?

A: Black screen appears mid-installation (on-going installation, during installation). Waited for hours, but nothing happened. I had to forced shutdown to get rid of it. 

Q:  What is the Acer driver version you tried to install? There are two different driver options available on their website.

A: Manufacturer version of intel. 

Release Date:2017/07/24     

Version:21.20.16.4639    

Vendor: Intel     

Size:242.4 MB

Q:  Does the black screen option persists on save mode?

A: No, black screen doesn't persist on safe mode. I was able to disable the driver from device manager in safe mode, otherwise screen gets stuck in acer logo screen on normal mode.  I was successful in installing intel latest driver in safe mode but upon restarting, the screen gets stuck at acer logo.

Q: Try using an external monitor and check if you experience the same behavior.

A: Yes, external monitor has same behavior.

Q: Is there any error message when the Open GL program crashes?

A: Blender crashes with an error (see attached). Paraview crashes on startup without any kind of message.

QGIS 3D rendering is not working (see attached). error loading .vtk file in jupyter notebook.

Q:  You mentioned that you used a compatibility troubleshooter with Windows 8 and 7. Does it mean that you have tried both of these operating systems?

A: No, I don't have windows 7 or 8. I tried to run intel driver on windows troubleshooter (previous version), by clicking on "run compatibility troubleshooter)

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Rahul0,

Thanks for the information provided.

I still want to confirm some information regarding your issue:

Do you recall any hardware or software changes before the problem started?

Can enable the Intel HD Graphics 630 once you booted after disabling it on save mode?

Also, I would suggest you do a clean installation of the graphics driver. To do so, please follow these steps:

1. Download the latest DCH drivers (30.0.101.1994) and save them on the computer: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html?

2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 

3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Command Center and driver from Apps and Features. 

4. Restart the computer. 

5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters that the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 

6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Apps and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager: 

1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 

2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device.' is checked. 

3. Click on 'Uninstall'. 

4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 

7. Install the DCH drivers that were downloaded in step 1 Restart the computer. 

Reconnect to the Internet. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Rahul0
Novice

Hello, thanks again for your much appreciated reply.

Yes, there was a hardware change about 2 years ago. I replaced my 128GB SSD to 1TB NVMe SSD.

Everything was working fine then. I had no issue.

And I can't enable the driver on normal mode, the instant I enable it screen turns black. I had to force restart.

I followed your steps. Performed a clean driver installation. Ended up having same "screen turned black during mid-installation".

Also tried installing the same driver on safe mode successfully, but on restarting screen gets stuck at acer logo screen.

I just want OPENGL softwares to work on my system, and nothing else. For that I need latest display driver.

I think it's the newer OS Build version of Windows. Before that everything was fine.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Rahul0,

As you mentioned that the issue could be related to the new OS Build version of Windows. Before that, everything was working as expected. Perform a clean installation of the Operating System to get rid of any possible corrupted files. The clean installation steps are available on this community thread:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/all/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-or-reinstall-of/aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Rahul0
Novice

Before coming to these forums, I have done clean installation of windows 4 times already. Every time is the same. 😣

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Rahul0,

Thanks for reaching out to me.

Regarding your issue, my suggestion is to contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for further support. It seems as if the black screen is related to a miscommunication between the Discrete GPU (Nvidia 1050) and Integrated GPU (Intel® HD Graphics 630). You must make sure there is no interference between the integrated graphics and the dedicated graphics; you may contact the OEM, as they are the ones who set the hybrid configuration. Also, Acer can perform a hardware inspection to determine if there is any hardware-related issue.

Also, you mentioned that the Intel® HD Graphics 630 is disabled. It seems that the issue of the OpenGL application is related to the Nvidia driver since it is the one responsible for the Graphics tasks as the Integrated GPU is not processing information. If you want to continue with further support, you need to contact Nvidia or Acer.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Rahul0,

I hope you are doing fine.

I have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos