Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20692 Discussions

Intel HD driver fails on W10 Creators release - Insprion 660

SPalm2
Novice

I was asked to re-post this in a new thread

Intel HD Graphics Properties reports Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43).

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.15063.0, time stamp: 0x982d0cc7

Faulting module name: igd10iumd64.dll, version: 10.18.10.4653, time stamp: 0x58e7c06c

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000019a4a3

Faulting process id: 0x11f4

Faulting application start time: 0x01d3739979adbec0

Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwm.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\igd10iumd64.dll

Report Id: 43469d3f-b9d1-46b9-b4c6-26fd75a4012c

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Dell Inspiron 660

Windows 10 Pro

Intel i3-3240 3.40 Ghz

Dell 478VN Motherboard

Intel B75 Chipset

Intel HD Graphics

8GB Memory

The PC and Intel HD Graphics driver have worked flawlessly under Windows 10 Pro up until the installation of Microsoft's Windows 10 Creators update. I first saw this with a recent push of the spring version of the Creators update. I tried manually adding in the fall version. Same results.

After the driver fails to load, Windows 10 reverts to Basic mode.

In basic mode, I cannot run dual monitors (VGA and HDMI) simultaneously.

I have run Dell's update utility and Intel's update utility - everything is up to date.

I have tried pretty much everything suggested in similar threads.

I can unrolled the Windows 10 Creators update and the driver functions without issue.

I have seen where others have reported similar problems with different flavors of HD Graphics HW (3000,4000,5000)

My device properties shows my HW as "HD Graphics" with no series indicated.

28 Replies
SPalm2
Novice

Just unbelievable!

Your driver crashes and it's somebody else's fault.

When your driver crashes, it's your fault. Period. No-one else's.

And way before submitting the initial info in this thread, I had removed the HDMI/USB device to see if that made a difference.

It did not.

I remind you your driver and the HDMI/USB device worked before the Creator's update.

And after the Creators update, the HDMI/USB device continues to function and Windows does not blue-screen.

YOUR driver fails.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

vaguy: Thank you for letting us know those updates. We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any details I will post all the information on the thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
DSuvo
Beginner

Similar issue tracked here:

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

vaguy: I just received and update on this matter, the driver has been tested with RS3 and works fine for us and many other customers. Some have faced the issue with error 43 after the update is done, thus suggesting a potential issue with the Operating System upgrade process. Please try a clean RS3 installation if you have the option to do that.

If the problem persists, then the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with Dell for further assistance, you can always provide them with the link of the thread so they can see that Intel has validated the driver for RS3 already.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
SPalm2
Novice

A clean RS3 is really not an option form me.

A validated driver for RS3 means nothing to me. A driver that stays running does.

You state that some have faced the issue with error 43 after the update is done.

Well, duh, that is why I started this thread.

But you don't state that a clean install will resolved this issue.

You are shooting from the hip.

Please provide source code to driver for me to investigate.

At a minimum tell me precisely under what circumstance (given all of the debug information I provided to you) that your driver would return a Code 43

0 Kudos
DSuvo
Beginner

Hi Vaguy,

This is dwm.exe crash. Thanks to Stephen3D, I've got some direction on collecting more detailed debug info. You need to collect the dwm.exe crash dump (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/chaun/2013/11/12/steps-to-catch-a-simple-crash-dump-of-a-crashing-process/ Steps to Catch a Simple "Crash Dump" of a Crashing Process – Share Poignant ) and use windbg to fetch the stack trace.

This may shed some light on the circumstances.

0 Kudos
SPalm2
Novice

Excellent suggestion. I followed Stephen3D's instructions and saw that a component of my StarTech USB-HDMI driver was in the stack (even thought I disabled the device).

I checked with Startech and found they had updated their driver for RS3. Interestingly, the StarTech pre-RS3 driver did work under RS3 (as far as the HDMI monitor that was plugged into the Startech's dongle was concerned), but it caused havoc with the Intel driver shutting down.

The key to this solution was you mentioning that dwm.exe was crashing. I had been operating under the assumption that a component of the Intel driver was crashing.

0 Kudos
AlbertoR_Intel
Employee

vaguy: Thank you for providing those results. We will continue with our research on this matter and we will let you know about any updates as soon as possible.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos