Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20600 Discussions

Intel HD4600 4K Windows 10 GUI poor performance

ŁPawl
Beginner

Hello,

I'm using Dell XPS 9530 with Windows 10 installed. I've noticed, that when I'm trying to switch between windows using WIN + TAB key combination, animation is very choppy and laggy. I've installed newest Intel drivers from Dell website, but it didn't solved my problem. Intel drivers version is 20.19.15.4835. I'm using 4K internal screen with 3840x2160 resolution. Dell replaced motherboard few times, but it didn't solved problem. There is also nVidia GeForce GT 750 discrete GPU present on my system. I tried to connect external display (TV) using HDMI cable and there is major improvement in animation, but only when I switch internal laptop display off and leave TV screen on (using WIN + P keys and selecting second screen only).

So my question is: What could be the problem?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Lucas83,

I understand you are having issues when using the "Windows + Tab" combination, I apologize for any inconvenience.

Regarding this, I actually tested the problem myself by using the same model of computer you have, also the same driver version, Windows 10 as well. I opened several applications and then tried the "Windows + Tab". There was no problem whatsoever regarding the animation, it was neither choppy nor lagged.

What I could believe is the problem is the resolution. The recommended resolution is 3200x1800 @ 60p Hz, however, the resolution that you are using goes over the recommended one. If possible, please try changing the resolution down to the recommended one and let us know if the issue persists.

I hope you find this helpful.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
ŁPawl
Beginner

Hello,

Thanks for answer. I tried to set a custom resolution suggested by You, but it was impossible due to some error about exceeding maximum throughput for custom resolution. I was able to record a video, that shows exactly what is the problem. One video shows animations on Dell XPS, second video shows how it should look like on my other PC (much worse than XPS). As You can see, animations on other PC are much much smoother than on XPS. Here is the link to OneDrive with two videos for comparison:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AujwAgAN3IpFhW2WL2hSU3DQDCKH Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Regards,

Lucas.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Lucas83,

Thank you for your response,

I have been doing more testing with the computer and checked the information you sent. I was able to find that the problem occurs when the computer is not connected to the power. If the power adapter is disconnected then the animation was slightly lagged. When the power was connected the animation becomes smooth.

Please try to do the same thing with the power adapter connected and then let us know the outcome.

I hope you find this helpful.

Regards,

David V.
0 Kudos
ŁPawl
Beginner

Hello,

Thanks for reply.

All my tests were done on a laptop connected to AC adapter with power scheme set to "balanced" and "maximum performance". Unfortunately, both settings didn't improve performance. I'm aware of limited performance on battery powered laptop, so I was avoiding making tests without AC adapter connected.

Regards,

Lucas.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Lucas83,

I will be running some more tests here and researching some more about the problem at hand. I will be getting back to you as soon as I am done with the testing.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
ŁPawl
Beginner

Of course. If You would need some more information, please don't hesitate to ask. I hope that You'll find some solution for this issue.

0 Kudos
ŁPawl
Beginner

Hello,

How are things going? Have You got some new information about issue I've reported?

Regards,

Lucas

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Lucas83,

Thank you for patiently waiting,

We have been running more tests with the same model of Laptop that has been giving you the problems, however the only thing that makes it slower is when the power adapter is not connected. I have tried different configurations but everything works just fine. This points out to a hardware issue instead of software.

I apologize for any inconvenience,

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
ŁPawl
Beginner

Hello,

Could You post video screen capture, where I could see on my own eyes results of Your tests? Motherboard was replaced few times and other parts like memory, SSD drive and many more. Nothing fixed issue. So if hardware was replaced and it didn't made any changes, it must be a software related issue. That's why I would like to see how it works on Your configuration.

Regards,

Lucas.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Lucas83,

One thing that could be tried for troubleshooting to attempt and fix your problem is to download the latest graphics driver from the OEM (Dell). Please refer to their website and download the latest graphics driver for your computer specifically.

Something else that could be tried would be to re-install the operating system and afterwards try to use the combination of "Windows + TAB". This is only if possible. Something else that could be tried is to contact Dell and inquire to see if it is possible for them to replicate the issue since they should have the necessary equipment.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Lucas83,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
MThom16
Novice

I have a Dell Precision M3800 which has almost the same specs(It has Quadro K1100M in place of GT750M). With the fresh install of W10 and install the latest Intel graphics drivers from Dell UI lags a lot. My laptop is connected to AC. What should i do ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Communities, marios199546.

In this case, if the troubleshooting steps above did not work for you, please create a new thread explaining your problem. Make sure you include your system configuration and a clear explanation of the issue so we can give you a solution as soon as possible.

Antony S.
0 Kudos