Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel HD5500 WDDM 2.5 support

Dave97
Beginner

I have a Thinkpad T450S with intel HD5500. I need WDDM 2.5 support for GPU passthrough in Windows Sandbox. 

Does Intel HD5500 support WDDM 2.5 ? The driver which I downloaded from OEM website says it is currently on WDDM 2.0 with version number 20.19.15.5144

Is there any possibility for a update to WDDM 2.5 ?  Is it supported at all on this graphics hardware ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I updated my similar system with the latest available driver, 15.40.48.5171. It too only supports WDDM 2.0.

If I had to venture a guess, since support for these older machines is winding down, I would say that it is unlikely that, if a subsequent driver build is released, it will include WDDM 2.5 support. That said, the graphics team does not pre-announce the feature set of, or schedule for, subsequent builds. Bottom line, we just don't know.

If you would like to formally request this capability, you need to contact Intel Customer Support directly and open a ticket with them. Here are pages where you can lookup contact information, including local/country phone numbers, by geography:

You can use the online forms service or email, but I actually recommend calling them directly. The above links provide local or toll-free numbers in most countries and support most local languages. You could also use the chat service (start here: Intel Customer Support Chat), but understand that this service is offered in English only and is subject to the normal (9:00-5:00 M-F) office hours in the Pacific (UTC-8) time zone.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Dave97
Beginner

Thank you for the reply. WDDM 2.5 was released 2.5 years ago and it's already too late and broadwell architecture isn't that old and depreciated as well to not update. I don't expect them to make it a priority but I hope they do some basic updates like these which adds support to basic operating system functionality.

I guess the 6th generation is already running WDDM 2.7 and scheduled to receive 3.0 in few months. It's not fair to be stuck in a legacy 2.0 for just buying a device a year earlier. They should at least do delayed updates for such basic components. 

I'll pass on the request to them but hope you will let them know too.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I don't necessarily agree with it either, but Intel has been sticking to a cadence that offers 6 years of driver coverage. We are talking here about a 5th gen processor and the 11th gen is shipping. That's 6 gens and 6 years - and you can also see that almost all of the processors with HD Graphics 5500 have been Discontinued already, so they seem to be holding to cadence - and thus its driver withering-on-the-vine has likely begun.

Sorry,

...S

0 Kudos