Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Intel Iris Plus Graphics not compatible with Windows Hypervisor Platform

turnip_king
Novice

I am only able to run Windows Hypervisor Platform if Intel Iris Plus Graphics is disabled. When I enable the display device my laptop immediately crashes into a BSOD video_tdr_failure.

I have a different laptop running Intel HD Graphics that does not have this problem. It will run the Windows Hypervisor Platform just fine.

Here are the specs for the faulty system.

• Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
  • x64
  • Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz, 1498 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
  • Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics 27.20.100.8587
  • 16384 MB RAM
  • DirectX 12

Are there any Iris Plus driver versions that are proven to work with the Hypervisor Platform? Please let me know.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
Tuee22
Novice

Update: there is now a firmware update available on the razer webpage for my machine http://drivers.razersupport.com//index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view&parentcategoryid=1101&pcid=990&nav=0,350,990&_ga=2.206293395.1801480808.1608144932-1523930810.1607974270

Sounds like the previous update got taken down due to a performance degradation issue. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
45 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

turnip_king, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your inquiry, in order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the laptop?

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before with this same laptop with an older Intel® Graphics driver?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
turnip_king
Novice
  • Razer System Model Blade Stealth 13 (Early 2020) - RZ09-0310
  • It's brand new
  • It was not working fine with the older graphics driver
  • This is a clean installation. Basically the only thing I have done is enable the hypervisor platform

I just want to know if there's any way to get it working. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

turnip_king, Thank you very much for providing that information.

In regard to your question, there is no option for Intel® to recommend a driver to be used with Windows* Hypervisor Platform since the Intel® drivers were created for a normal Windows* 10 installation, where the computer communicates with the Operating System directly without using virtual environments:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/197532/Intel-Iris-Plus-Graphics

In this case, the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with Microsoft since they are the developers of the application and verify if they might have a specific customized driver for Windows* Hypervisor Platform and further suggestions on this matter:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
turnip_king
Novice

Thank you for the information.

I disagree with your assessment that Intel cannot support the Windows Hypervisor Platform, because I know that it does on my other Intel powered laptop. AFAIK this feature is just an API that helps third party programs integrate with existing Windows architecture. The problem is not so fundamental as you suggest, and I expect that if it could be properly diagnosed by people smarter than myself that it could be fixed.

Also, Windows Hypervisor Platform has been a part of the "normal Windows 10" Home installation since version 1803 released 2018-07-10. So I would really appreciate a closer look at this problem. To me it is a core feature of Windows, and I much desire to have it work properly without having to buy a whole new laptop.

Please let me know if you can recommend anything to make this normal Windows feature work properly on my laptop. I will happily provide more information if it will help.

0 Kudos
turnip_king
Novice

Also, many people have contacted Microsoft about this problem already with little recourse.

There are discussions with their support and with their devs and from what I can tell, every solution so far has been to either update drivers or modify boot parameters that specifically pertain to their integrated graphics.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

turnip_king, You are very welcome, thank you very much for sharing those details.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

turnip_king, I just received an update on this matter.

You mentioned "I am only able to run Windows Hypervisor Platform if Intel Iris Plus Graphics is disabled", do you know by any chance if the laptop is working with a Dual-Graphics controller configuration?

We can always verify that on the SSU and Graphics report, please attach them:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html

Additionally, you said you have another laptop with Intel® Graphics that work fine with Hyper-V, could you please provide the SSU and Graphics report for that computer as well further compare?

Regards,

Albert R.

turnip_king
Novice

Thanks Albert.

I really don't know if I'm running dual-graphics or not. I only have one discrete GPU, if that's relevant lol.

I'll attach the diagnostics and maybe that will answer your question. If not, I'm happy to do some more digging for you just lmk.

There are four files collected from two laptops, as follows.

Laptop 1 - my new laptop, that I am having the problem with. Diagnostics were collected with virtualization disabled in the BIOS (so it will boot). The Intel driver was not disabled.

• ssu_info_1.txt
  • Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics - Tuesday, 25 August 2020.txt

Laptop 2 - my old laptop, with a working Hyper-V configuration. Diagnostics were collected as-is.

• ssu_info_2.txt
  • Intel(R) HD Graphics 620 Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Thank you kindly for your attention to this matter.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

turnip_king, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing the reports.

Just to confirm, yes, your computer is working with a Dual-Graphics configuration, Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti.

We will try to replicate this scenario in our Intel® Lab, as soon as I get any update I will post all the results on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello turnip_king, I just received an update on this matter.

Just to let you know, after trying to duplicate the issue in our Intel® Lab we can confirm that Windows 10 Home doesn't support Hyper-V, so it appears the Windows 10 Home you are showing on records is for the Guest VM instead of the Hypervisor or Host, is that correct?

Please provide the SSU report:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

And the DxDiag file report:

Enter dxdiag in the search bar

Select the application and run it

Then select "Save all information"

And save the file in the computer

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
turnip_king
Novice

I'm not running any VMs except those that are pre-configured to run Windows Subsystem for Linux 2. From what I know, Windows 10 does not support Hyper-V but it does support WSL2 via the "Virtual Machine Platform". I am giving you these reports directly from my Windows machines, and not a VM.

You can see exactly what I am doing by reviewing the WSL Installation Guide for Windows 10. I have been following those instructions exactly. Basically it enables the windows features "Virtual Machine Platform" and "Windows Hypervisor Platform". And then I guess that it installs Ubuntu into a guest VM. But I'm not running my diagnostics from that environment.

What I'm trying to say is, I believe the reports I provided are from the hypervisor or host and not a guest VM.

I've attached the dxdiag report from my non-working laptop. I left out the SSU because it will just be the same as before. I can still try it again if you wish.

Can you clarify what the lab has confirmed? I can see that a Hyper-V installation requires Windows 10 pro. That is expressly unrelated to my problem, because I am not trying to use that software or that operating system.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello turnip_king, Thank you very much for providing the report and explaining all those details.

We are still currently working on this case and trying to reproduce the issue in our Intel® Lab, as soon as I get more details I will let you know directly on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
cg
Novice

Good afternoon and thank you for this thread.

I wanted to chime in that I have the same device, and am encountering the exact same issue (Razer Blade Stealth early 2020 Model RZ09-03102E22).

Enabling either Virtual Machine Platform or Windows Hypervisor Platform features in Windows 10 1909 (18363.1016) results in VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (igdkmdn64.sys). The laptop initially came with 26.20 drivers, which had the issue. I downloaded the latest drivers, and the issue persists.

I tried to run SSU.exe but the program seems to crash immediately with no output. I only found one seemingly relevant entry in event viewer which is attached.

I also ran dxdiag, which is attached.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello turnip_king, I just received an update on this matter.

We have tried to replicate the issue in our lab and the driver 27.20.100.8587 works correctly when enabling Windows Hypervisor and installing Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. We followed the steps listed in the source he provided: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10

After several hours of normal laptop operation, we didn't encounter any BSOD or error.

Our lab was performed on an Acer Swift 3 with Intel Core i5-1035G1, video available here:

http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NUCXD-36U4

Since his laptop is using hybrid graphics implementation the next thing to do will be to report this issue directly to Microsoft or his Laptop manufacturer since Intel® does not own said implementation, and the error may be coming from the Operating System switching between active graphic cards:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

cg, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

I hope the previous information was useful for you too, otherwise please submit your inquiry on a new thread, the reason for this is that every scenario is different even if the same product is being used, so for us to better assist you and in order to try to fix the problem, please submit a new thread:

https://communities.intel.com/community/tech

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
turnip_king
Novice

Good catch. @Alberto_Sykes please let us know if the test was performed with Intel Iris Plus graphics. That is the only way to prove it. We already know it works with the other.

0 Kudos
turnip_king
Novice

I actually just watched the video and confirmed that the test was run with Intel UHD graphics, which is not the graphics driver listed in the title of the OP. @Alberto_Sykes please let us know if you can get it working on the correct one.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello turnip_king, Thank you very much for your response.

Sure, I will double-check on your request to confirm if we can try to replicate the issue in our Intel® Lab using the Intel® Iris Plus Graphics controller, as soon as I get any updates I will let you know on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
iamgeef
Novice

Plus 1 for this issue.
Just received a brand new Razer Blade Stealth 13 (2020) , as the previous posters have also done I enabled the "Virtual Machine Platform" feature of Windows10 (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10#update-to-wsl-2) and after a restart I get a BSOD:

Stop code: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE
What failed: igdkmdn64.sys

If I go in through safe mode and revert the display driver to Microsoft Basic Display Driver I can at least login but I also seem to lose external display capabilities.

Automatic upgrade of the driver goes back to the same BSOD
Intel Driver and Support Assistant tool installs a driver, which results in the same BSOD.
This is the driver it tries to install: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29808/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=80939 - igfx_win10_100.8587.exe