Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21013 Discussions

Intel NUC Won't Update Graphics Driver

Chrisan
Beginner

NUC model nuc10i7fnk.   Current driver is 27.20.100.8681.

I ran the DSA and it says there is an update.   When I try to install it the DSA gets to a spot where it says "Scanning System."   Right after that the DSA shows a red triangle and there is a note "installation Failed."

Any help is appreciated.

Thx, Chris

0 Kudos
11 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Chris,

1. Download the Intel® Graphics Driver 31.0.101.2128, which is the latest driver for your NUC.

2. Disconnect the internet connection (wired and wireless).

3. Execute the Clean Installation of previously downloaded Graphics Driver.

4. Now you may reconnect the Internet.

Leon

AllStars
Novice
0 Kudos
Chrisan
Beginner

Hi Leon, thanks for responding.

I couldn't get this to work.   I turned off the internet and uninstalled the old driver and made sure it deleted the old one.   Verified it was now a Microsoft generic driver.    I restarted the machine and tried to install the software in the link you provided.   I got a progress bar where it was extracting some files then a splash screen Intel Driver Installation Tool, or something to that effect.   Then that screen disappeared and nothing after that.

Any other suggestions?   I have an application that is sensitive o this.

Thanks, Chris

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Chris,

Try to install this driver manually from the Device Manager :

Extract the gfx_win_101.2128.exe on your drive

Device Manager > Display Adapters > Intel(R) UHD Graphics  > Update Driver > Browse my computer for drivers > select from a list > Have Disk > Browse >

Then go to where you extracted the files, then Graphics folder, then look for igcc_dch.inf, this is the driver file you have to install, after that just keep clicking next and then you're done!

Leon

0 Kudos
Chrisan
Beginner

Hi Leon, thanks for the input.

I don't know where the files are extracted, it just says "Extracting Files."   I did a search, though, and did find one file with that name.  Kind of an old file, 2020, but I tried it anyway.    It gave me an error "doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device."   I attached a couple screen shots for your reference.   Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Chris

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Chris,

I was misunderstood. What I meant by "extracting" is to extracting in place by using  Windows Context Menu after right click on the gfx_win_101.2128.exe file.  In the Context Menu you should look  for "Extract here" or for 7-Zip entry. If you don't have 7-Zip installed, download and install it (the Windows 64 option).  Click on "Extract here" and you will find the archive extracted.

Leon

0 Kudos
Chrisan
Beginner

OK, I'll try that and report back.  Thx

0 Kudos
Chrisan
Beginner

Hi Leon,

That didn't work either - same error message "doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device."  I just noticed something, though.   This unit was sold to me as a NUC10i7FNK and that's what I told you it was    The Intel DSA identifies it as a NUC10i7FNB, version K61360-306.   Not sure if that makes any difference but thought I would mention it.

Thx, Chris

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Chris,

You may download  the Intel System Support Utility (SSU). Run the SSU scan (check "Everything") and save the results. Open the .txt file with the results and check. If you see in the "Motherboard" section od this report : Product:"NUC10i7FNB" that means that this is a NUC10i7FNK motherboard. You should see at the first section of this report a line: System Model:"NUC10i7FNK"

I assume that you have Administrator rights on this NUC.  However, I don't know how the Windows and drivers were installed. I suggest that you should reinstall the Chipset Driver:

- Download the Chipset Driver.

- Extract the downloaded zip file

- Open an Administrative Command Prompt windows and browse to the directory with the extracted Chipset Driver.

- write the following command: SetupChipset.exe -overall and click enter

- reboot your NUC

Now try again to install the Intel Graphics Driver.

Leon

0 Kudos
Chrisan
Beginner

Hi Leon,

I extracted the files and browsed to the directory where all the driver files appeared to be located.   Cmd was opened as Admin.  The DOS command suggested wasn't recognized.   For grins I ran the executable SetupChipset.   That seemed to work.   But I still couldn't install the new graphics driver through the DSA or the manual method you suggested.   Any additional thoughts?

Thanks! Chris

0 Kudos
AllStars
Novice

Let me try to help @Chrisan The 'Installation Failed' message often indicates that there might be a problem with the update process itself

Try the following:

Manual Driver Update, visit this link NUC10I7FNK Asus Support and manually download the latest driver for your NUC model. Sometimes installing the driver directly from the website can bypass issues encountered with automated tools like DSA.

Do clean installation, Uninstall the current graphics driver completely before attempting to install the new one. Use Device Manager to uninstall the display adapter driver, restart your computer, and then install the downloaded driver.

Hope it helps

...williams

0 Kudos