Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Intel Performance Telemetry giving incorrect VRAM read and write bandwidth

Bill_da_da
New Contributor I

Hi,

I just find out after I updated to driver 5081 WHQL and enabled my integrated graphics in BIOS, the numbers in the intel performance telemetry(comes with arc control) is showing wrong number(seems to be capped at 10000 MB/S but I think it is somewhat working below that like idling) in the overlay.

Thanks,

Bill Ge

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities. I will be happy to help you. Since you are having issues with the VRAM read and write bandwidth with the Telemetry Overlay of Intel® Arc™ Control , please follow the steps below and keep me informed of the results:

1. Uninstall Intel® Arc™ Control
    1. Press the Windows key.
    2. Click on settings.
    3. Select Apps and then select Apps & features.
    4. Search for Intel® Arc™ Control software.
    5. Click on it and select the option to uninstall.
  2. Install graphics driver 31.0.101.5081. The installer will install the Intel Graphics driver and Intel Arc Control components.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Bill_da_da
New Contributor I

Hi Andres,

I have uninstalled the arc control and the driver(DDU) and installed them again. It seems like the problem persists.

Thanks,

Bill Ge

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da,

Thank you for completing the steps.

I will start with an investigation to provide you with the next steps, as soon as possible. 

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da,

Thank you for your time.

I am still working on the investigation, but just to clarify, if you disable the integrated graphics card in BIOS, does it work properly?

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Bill_da_da
New Contributor I

Hi Andres,

I think the problem occurs when the integrated graphics is on and off after I test it. It does not matter whether if integrated graphics is on or not.

Thanks,

Bill Ge

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da,

Thank you for your clarification.

I will continue with the investigation, and as soon as I have the next steps I will let you know. 

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello GSage,

Thank you for your patience.

We still working on the investigation, and now we will start with the issue reproduction, as soon as I have the results I will let you know.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da,

We would like to let you know that we have tried to replicate the issue you described internally; however, we were not able to reproduce the problem. When we enabled both GPUs (integrated and discrete) in the BIOS, the Arc Control telemetry never reached the 10000 MB/S mark, the information for VRAM read and write worked as expected on our end.

Telemetry 5084 idle.png

Based on this, we would like to recommend you install the latest graphics driver, 31.0.101.5084 after you run the DDU to eliminate all the previous drivers and residues.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Bill_da_da
New Contributor I

Hi Jean,

The reading is capped at 10000MB/s not stayed at 10000MB/s. I think you will need to fire up some workload to actually use VRAM and you can see the issue. BTW, I have just tried DDU and reinstall and the problem persists.

Thanks,

Bill Ge

0 Kudos
Bill_da_da
New Contributor I

The screenshot after reinstalling and running Dead Space in the back:

Bill_da_da_0-1704132888578.png

It is building shader so it is CPU intensive but the VRAM usage is also above 10000MB/s. If it stays at idle, the VRAM usage will be less than 10000MB/s and it will just be fine.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da,

We understand that you reported a cap of 10000 MB/s on the reading. Let us resume our research on this matter, and we will post back as soon as we have more information.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello GSage,

Thank you for your time.

We still working on the investigation and now we will strat with the issue replication, as soon as I have the results I will let you know. 

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello GSage,

Thank you for your patience.

We have been working on the replication and we hope to have the results soon.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello GSage,

Thank you for your time and patience.

We still working on the replication and we will have the results soon, as soon as I have them I will let you know.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Bill_da_da
New Contributor I

Hi Andres,

It's been a couple of months. Any updates on the issue?

Thanks

Bill Ge

0 Kudos
Damien1
Beginner

Hey there !
I have been testing my A770 LE predominantly for high refresh rate/competitive games and have run into this exact issue on the latest driver (101.5333), on windows 10.
Playing overwatch 2 always showed the "VRAM Read Bandwidth" being capped at 10,000mb/s in the overlay.

I tried the same test using driver 101.4091 and found that the version of arc control bundled with this driver did not have this problem, the bandwidth readings were between 25,000 and 30,000 during gameplay, and the graph scaling appropriately.

I must note that I am using a core i5 10400f and I forced the arc control software to install (I think it is technically only supported with 11th gen). 

**Edited: I just made a new test using a GTX 970, and it turns out there must be something wrong elsewhere with my configuration as I ran into the same problem where my frame rate does not go beyond a point. Ignore what I wrote below as it is quite irrelevant. However if somebody knows about this kind of behaviour I would love to hear it!**

With that said, I hope to see some more driver optimization on DX11 titles like this one before DX12 becomes the focus. With both drivers, neither the gpu or cpu usage got to 100% in my testing as long as shaders aren't being compiled: This meant that there is performance left on the table when it comes to competitive titles.

When using the older 101.4091 driver, here is what I found playing overwatch 2 at the lowest graphical preset:

120 - 160 fps 

35-60% render activity

%45 CPU activity

The hardest working CPU thread gets to 80% at the highest according to MSI afterburner.

The newer 101.5333 driver performed slightly better, but still could not utilize system resources.

0 Kudos