Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel(R) Graphics HD 4000 Driver for Windows 8.1 (Not Working Properly)

CZ2
Beginner

I have an Asus K55A with an Intel core i5 processor.

I installed windows 8.1 today and now my graphics adapter's driver is crashed. I cannot view multiple monitors or adjust my screen resolution settings as it is defaulting to the default microsoft driver.

I have updated to Driver Version:

I still get this notice in the device manager:

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

Object Name not found.

Can anyone advise, as I MUST have multiple monitors for work.

Thanks

166 Replies
AViei4
Beginner

I have dell inspiron 15r 7520 and my driver is not working too driver version 1/10/13

0 Kudos
AMico
Beginner

+1 on this with Yoga 13. No video in YouTube, Netflix, etc. Most games crash on launch directly after Win 8.1 upgrade. I am running the same latest version of the driver that was mentioned here (mine came in through Windows update).

0 Kudos
KOHal
Beginner

I am running a Yoga 13 as well. I have a fix for us! Just install the version of the driver that you had before 8.1. Intel has to really re-address this new driver because it was stopping my system from playing ANY sound (I believe it was the Intel Display Audio driver, which comes bundled with the Graphics driver). The one that works is version 10.18.10.3316

0 Kudos
AMico
Beginner

I posted a fix for the Yoga 13 on the Lenovo Yoga forums that has me running in full shape now. Apparently, the upgrade attempts to upload the latest drivers and mixes driver files from version 9 and version 10 of the driver. In addition, the Win 8.1 upgrade blows away a bunch of other Intel drivers that need to be reinstalled. It really seems like a well intentioned attempt to upgrade the system to the latest drivers without any regard for what drivers the OEM has qualified on the platform. The fact I found mixed libraries from two different versions of the driver leads me to believe they simply copied files out from the zip without any regard to how the Intel drivers should be properly installed.

0 Kudos
HSolo
Beginner

AndyMc's solution at http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Yoga-13-Video/m-p/1277583# M8277 Re: Win8.1 Fix for Yoga 13 - Lenovo Community

worked for me. My problem was slow scrolling in Excel that eventually crashed Excel.

0 Kudos
DGonz10
Beginner

I had the same issue with my Samsung ATIV Book 8.

It seems rolling back to version 9.18.10.3257 "fixes" the issue but not really. I can't adjust my screen brightness but at least I can see what I'm doing. Also some rendering seems skewed.

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

Just some more details about my setup for reference. I have a self-built i7-3770K based system with AMD HD 7870 card. My 2 main screens are connected to the AMD card via DVI and VGA. My 3rd display is an LCD based HDTV connected via HDMI to the motherboard using the IGP intel HD 4000.

Since the Windows 8.1 upgrade on 10/17, the HDMI connected TV no longer gets detected and I have the same Code 31 error:

"The device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (code 31)"

"{Operation Failed} The requested operation was unsuccessful"

Searching the internet in general, there are tons of people reaching out on many forums for help on this issue. So hopefully Intel will kick it into high gear and get this solved asap.

0 Kudos
LJele
Beginner

I had a similar issue after upgrading to Windows 8.1 PRO x64, altho I run 2 monitors one from the AMD 7950 and the other one from the HD4000 on the i5 3570K. The main screen, hooked to the 7950 would work but the second one would not.

I got them working now by uninstalling both drivers for the AMD card and the Intel HD, first from the uninstall programs and from the device manager, when that was done, the machine booted with both monitors working, then I proceeded to install the latest intel drivers for 8.1 x64 and again both monitors worked, the AMD just had the generic Microsoft drivers.

I installed the AMD drivers and everything went foobar again, and the main monitor was working and the HD4000 didn't. So I repeated all the steps of uninstalling and this time installed the AMD card without the HDMI and Audio drivers and so far everything works perfect.

I guess there's a conflict between AMDs and Intel drivers when it comes to either HDMI or Audio. I hope that helps some people.

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

Hi,

I think you are right about AMD and Intel drivers, but installing AMD card without HDMI and audio driver is for me the same as having no AMD card in the system (I have it connected to TV by HDMI). So I shall wait till AMD and Intel resolve this issue and use the AMD card for both displays in the meantime. By the way, I experienced some issues with the AMD card even in Windows 8, when I was simultaneously running the Intel integrated graphics on PC and the HDMI output of the AMD card on TV (the AMD driver occasionally stopped functioning, though it always immediately came back)

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

What AMD card do you have? I have the HD 7870 and haven't had any issues when combined with my i7-3770K HD 4000 IGP. That is with the latest driver on Windows 8, prior to the 8.1 upgrade. Now I have no HDMI out on my HD 4000.

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

I have AMD 6450 (because it is like the Intel graphics very quiet which is very important for me) and I also have the i7-3770K processor. The issues I experienced in Windows 8 with the AMD card were in fact as a rule practically not noticeable when using the displays (I use the second display only for watching movies on TV with a bigger display). I only found out about them when checking the functioning of the system in the Event Monitor which reported errors in one of the AMD driver files. Like you, In Windows 8.1 I cannot use both AMD and Intel graphics (the Intel DZ77GA-70K motherboard has only one HDMI graphics output), because the Intel graphics driver reports problems.

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

Quiet is very important to me too. The Sapphire HD 7870 dual fan GPU is extremely quiet. Even under load. I don't usually have any music or sound in the room, so the only time I even hear the fan at all, it is still quiet and that is when it's maxed out.

I use my HD 4000 HDMI for my 1080p LCD TV display for watching Hulu, etc. Then dual screen on the HD 7870 for work and gaming.

I also like to use the HD 4000 for video encoding, so hopefully this issue is resolved soon.

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

I am glad that HD 7870 is a very quiet card too. However, it has TDP of 175 W (when under load), while HD 6450 has under load TDP of only 19,1 W (it is a passively cooled card). Of course, your card is more powerful, which is good for gaming and work.

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

I gave the issue one last try. However, this time I did not revert to the latest Intel GFX driver ( 3257, issued on 14. 10. 2013) ), listed in the Intel Download Center for my motherboard DZ77GA-70K, but to the previous driver 3165, issued on 11.06.2013 for Windows 8 - 64 bit. I had to adjust also the video settings in BIOS (I set the Intel graphics as the primary video adapter and prescribed it to be enabled if it is primary). This time the Intel driver worked OK and all is as before in Windows 8. Though I changed the AMD graphic adapter to HD 5450, it is not important. I think that also HD 6450 would work OK.

Try to use this driver as it will probably work also for your motherboard and processor.

0 Kudos
JReyn7
New Contributor I

Intel HD Graphics 4000 and Windows 10 & Windows 8.1 ( Brightness fix with latest driver)

Brightness Fix with Driver Date 8/17/2015 )

Brightness problem Solved

Intel HD Graphics 4000 with NVIDIA® GeForce® GT650M graphics.

Install:

Intel HD Graphics 4000 Driver, Driver Date: 8/17/2015

Driver Version: 10.18.10.4276

Make sure you backup your registry first before proceeding!!!!

open regedit in Run Command

Registry has wrong value:

Currently reads as :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000] "FeatureTestControl"=

"Edit DWORD 32 bit"= f000

Registry with New Value:

You needed to change the value in registry to: ( f008 )

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000] "FeatureTestControl"=

"Edit DWORD 32 bit"= f008

Then Restart Computer

Brightness Fixed with Latest driver.

Let me know if this was helpful to you

mailto:jrreyn02@outlook.com jrreyn02@outlook.com

0 Kudos
MZmuc
Beginner

Same problem bei Dell XPS 13, Driver 10.18.10.3316 not working. Device Manager gives me a Code 43.

0 Kudos
JBran7
Beginner

Still nothing from Intel?

0 Kudos
AMico
Beginner

Keep in mind this really isn't Intel's fault, just speaking as someone who worked for one of those OEM's crushed under the weight of the big three. It's the OEM's job to qualify the drivers against their hardware platforms. In my case, the version 10 driver was available months before Win8.1 RTM, yet Lenovo even as late as yesterday still had the version 9 driver on their site. Lenovo hasn't re-qualified the new drivers for their platform in over a year, and they had six months between RTM and public release to do so.

I expect Intel will do us a solid and work with the OEM's and try to get this fixed ASAP, because they're good that way, at least they were when I was still working with them. In the mean time, do what I'm doing and beat up on your OEM for not keeping their drivers up to date. I mean for goodness sake, the Yoga is supposed to be their flagship product, it's front and center on their web page.

0 Kudos
KSzat
Beginner

On a related note, the driver on Asus's site for my mainboard, version 10.18.10.3262, doesn't work in 8.1.

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

I disagree. I have a self-built "OEM" system. And while my motherboard did supply some drivers. In the end, it is Intel that supplies the drivers for my self-built system. I have only been using the Intel supplied drivers as the motherboard drivers are often old and flawed.

I am not going to speak for pre-built systems like HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc. But while you may blame the OEM for being behind. The people on those forums are getting the opposite point of view, where they are saying that Lenovo is waiting for Intel to release a working driver for them to test and pass along.

In the end, it's Intel's hardware and they are the ones that need to make sure drivers are supplied. If OEMs do any tweaking, then Intel and the OEM need to be working together to make sure drivers are available at the time of launch.

I might have agreed with you if this issue was only affecting a few brands. But it appears to be affecting all brands and DIY builders like myself. So I feel it's Intel's fault and Intel needs to resolve this. It's not like Intel wasn't aware or lacked access to the 8.1 RTM.

0 Kudos
AMico
Beginner

I hear you, I wasn't trying to diminish the experience of you DIY white box guys. All I know is I took the drivers as they were, did some root cause analysis, and got my system working just as it was before, if not a little better, with the drivers that were out there after the Win8.1 upgrade trashed my system. It occurred to me that someone at Lenovo could have done the same thing and saved us all the trouble. I was just trying to say "apparently the problem is solvable, let's be hopeful." I'm a glass half full kind a guy, call me idealistic. I mean, I didn't wait for Intel to release a new driver, I proved for myself my Lenovo system could be fixed with the current drivers. I think someone at Lenovo is being lazy.

I hope your problems get solved, too. If experience is a guide, Intel is listening but won't say anything until they run it up someone's flagpole to keep those outside communications sanitized, as huge corporations like to do.

0 Kudos