Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Intel(R) Graphics HD 4000 Driver for Windows 8.1 (Not Working Properly)

CZ2
Beginner

I have an Asus K55A with an Intel core i5 processor.

I installed windows 8.1 today and now my graphics adapter's driver is crashed. I cannot view multiple monitors or adjust my screen resolution settings as it is defaulting to the default microsoft driver.

I have updated to Driver Version:

I still get this notice in the device manager:

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

Object Name not found.

Can anyone advise, as I MUST have multiple monitors for work.

Thanks

166 Replies
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

AndyMc. wrote:

I hear you, I wasn't trying to diminish the experience of you DIY white box guys. All I know is I took the drivers as they were, did some root cause analysis, and got my system working just as it was before, if not a little better, with the drivers that were out there after the Win8.1 upgrade trashed my system. It occurred to me that someone at Lenovo could have done the same thing and saved us all the trouble. I was just trying to say "apparently the problem is solvable, let's be hopeful." I'm a glass half full kind a guy, call me idealistic. I mean, I didn't wait for Intel to release a new driver, I proved for myself my Lenovo system could be fixed with the current drivers. I think someone at Lenovo is being lazy.

I hope your problems get solved, too. If experience is a guide, Intel is listening but won't say anything until they run it up someone's flagpole to keep those outside communications sanitized, as huge corporations like to do.

I am normally very optimistic. I am still just a little sour from the fact that I had the HD 4000 hdmi flicker issue for so long with Windows 8 and it was only just recently solved. As that didn't affect as many users, I don't think it got as much attention.

But this issue now with 8.1 is a complete show stopper. So I am optimistic it will be resolved soon. But that doesn't change the fact that I am very annoyed that Nvidia, AMD, and others do not appear to be having show stopping issues with their drivers on 8.1. Ready on launch day. My AMD and Nvidia solutions on 8.1 are working perfectly, HDMI, audio and all. As I mentioned before, out of all the hardware I have, including a pretty old system that I also put Windows 8.1 on with no issues; I am just shocked that my 3rd gen i7 with HD 4000 is giving me such grief. Again, I hope the solution is worked out real soon. It sounds like it might already be fixed. I just have to figure out how to get the driver that people say is working.

0 Kudos
HSolo
Beginner

Andy

Can't find your post in the Lenovo Yoga forum re: Win 8.1 drivers fix. Can you give me some help in finding it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
AMico
Beginner

Sure, it's right here:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Yoga-13-Video/m-p/1277583# M8277 http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Yoga-13-Video/m-p/1277583# M8277

I've been getting some good feedback that it's fixed people's problems and Lenovo endorsed it as a solution.

0 Kudos
KSzat
Beginner

According to a user on the Microsoft Support forums, Windows Update produced a newer driver today, however I cannot confirm this. I'm so frustrated over some of the things that broke when I went from Windows 7 to Windows 8, and now from 8 to 8.1 that I've decided to go back to 7 until this display driver issues is confirmed resolved.

Anyway, if someone checks Windows Update and installs a driver, can you post the version number here? As of this post, the Intel Download Center still says version 10.18.10.3316 is the most recent release.

0 Kudos
KOHal
Beginner

This is true. Windows Update automatically downloaded and installed the new driver today for me, and thing are back to working order and I am current. Thanks Intel + Windows for being very snappy with this update!

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

dk_ohalloran wrote:

This is true. Windows Update automatically downloaded and installed the new driver today for me, and thing are back to working order and I am current. Thanks Intel + Windows for being very snappy with this update!

Hmmm, Windows update doesn't show anything as available. I did the upgrade and then immediately did the windows updates on 10/17. The issue for me if that the latest driver supplied by Intel says it's for 8.1 and non-beta, but it simply does not work. One poster here said they even did a reinstall of Windows and it still has the same error code 31 that I have. If the driver supplied by Windows is different than the one by Intel, then hopefully Intel will release that driver on their page soon. I will check again now.

0 Kudos
KSzat
Beginner

Really? Can you post the version of the driver from the Device Manager or a screen shot or something?

0 Kudos
entilza
New Contributor I

Have you tried installing through the device manager manually with the zip file?

I find it hard to believe the windows update driver would be offering a newer diver than the 3316 currently available for 8.1 64-bit?

I've been following this thread debating whether to upgrade my bosses machine at work to 8.1 he uses dual monitors with HDMI and VGA on HD4000 and very concerned.

0 Kudos
HChen79
Beginner

the latest intel HD graphics 4000 driver is faulty, I cannot adjust my screen brightness on my Samsung laptop. Reverting back to a driver released in 2012 solved the problem.

0 Kudos
SLeon8
Beginner

Same problem here.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I did come up with a quick temp fix for this

https://twitter.com/Mathias_whatbox/status/391993268927356928 https://twitter.com/Mathias_whatbox/status/391993268927356928

It will fix the resolution but you will need to live with very small icons etc until new driver is released.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Update 2. Do like this and thing's will almost be normal. It will prompt you to sign out and login. Do it and thing's will be better

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

Mindgames wrote:

Update 2. Do like this and thing's will almost be normal. It will prompt you to sign out and login. Do it and thing's will be better

I am confused. Are you saying that the error code 31 will be fixed and we can use our HDMI connected displays by changing the text size to 125%?

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

Shawn,

the Intel GFX driver 3165 for Windows 8 32 and 64 bit (issued in May and June) that I mentioned in my last post works OK for 3770K processor also in Windows 8.1. In the Intel Download Center, it is also listed under Graphics, Desktop Graphics, Generation 3 processors .with 4000 Graphics. The latest two drivers listed there are 3257 (issued in September) and 3116 (the latest, issued in October) ) , but they did not work for me.

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

vsslo wrote:

Shawn,

the Intel GFX driver 3165 for Windows 8 32 and 64 bit (issued in May and June) that I mentioned in my last post works OK for 3770K processor also in Windows 8.1. In the Intel Download Center, it is also listed under Graphics, Desktop Graphics, Generation 3 processors .with 4000 Graphics. The latest two drivers listed there are 3257 (issued in September) and 3116 (the latest, issued in October) ) , but they did not work for me.

Unfortunately the oldest driver that I can use, is the 3257 because it was the first driver that solved the HD 4000 HDMI flicker issue with Windows 8. But I tried that one anyway and of course it doesn't work with Windows 8.1 like you said. So I am stuck waiting for Intel to release a new and working driver for the HD 4000.

Seems that Intel should have been able to make a working driver based on the 8.1 RTM they were given. I can't imagine there were any huge differences with the final 8.1 release on 10/17 that would render that driver build completely useless like what we have right now.

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

I agree with you that Intel should have prepared the GFX driver for Windows 8.1 better.

The driver 3165 does indeed work for me, but as I said in my post I had to deal also with the motherboard BIOS settings for the video as with some of these settings the driver had not worked. I do not now what motherboard you have, so I cannot help you with this.

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

vsslo wrote:

I agree with you that Intel should have prepared the GFX driver for Windows 8.1 better.

The driver 3165 does indeed work for me, but as I said in my post I had to deal also with the motherboard BIOS settings for the video as with some of these settings the driver had not worked. I do not now what motherboard you have, so I cannot help you with this.

Yeah, I am not interested in having to go through a bunch of things like that to make an old driver work. Again, I have to have version 3257 or later which solved the HDMI flicker issue. Luckily, in the meantime, I have my 3rd display (TV) plugged into my AMD 7870 card for now. I would leave it this way, but HDMI, DVI, and VGA is not a combination that works simultaneously with my card. I think because of the analog output of the VGA. I think it needs to use the Display ports, HDMI, and DVI only to all work at the same time.

Anyway, while I wait on Intel to release a working driver. I simply have to go to display properties to disable the VGA monitor and enable the TV display. Which works just fine. I don't have any video encoding projects coming up, so I can deal without the HD 4000 quick-sync for now as well.

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

I must correct myself. Having read your post I decided to try once again the driver 3116 with the motherboard BIOS video settings I used for the driver 3165 and this time the new driver worked OK. It seems that at least in my case the problems I experienced were caused by inappropriate BIOS video settings for the new 8.1 driver (though they worked for the old Win 8 driver).

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

I must add that in applying the driver 3116 I used the package from the Intel Download Center and not the update process of the Windows Update, which at least theoretically could also be the culprit for the problem experienced.

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

I must also add that in contrast to my previous trials this time I used the automatic drivers for the AMD cards (the Intel driver 3116 now works for both HD 5450 and HD 6450) as the AMD web page has not yet listed the Catalyst drivers for Windows 8.1 for these cards. For HD 6450, the automatic AMD driver is the version 13.152.1.1000 which was issued on the 9th of October, so presumably it could be meant and appropriate also for Windows 8.1 (?!).

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

Correction: the automatic AMD driver 13.152.1.1000 for HD 5450 and HD 6450 was in fact issued on the 10th of September, so I am not sure if it was developed with Windows 8.1 in mind.

0 Kudos