Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Intel(R) Graphics HD 4000 Driver for Windows 8.1 (Not Working Properly)

CZ2
Beginner

I have an Asus K55A with an Intel core i5 processor.

I installed windows 8.1 today and now my graphics adapter's driver is crashed. I cannot view multiple monitors or adjust my screen resolution settings as it is defaulting to the default microsoft driver.

I have updated to Driver Version:

I still get this notice in the device manager:

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

Object Name not found.

Can anyone advise, as I MUST have multiple monitors for work.

Thanks

166 Replies
CFirb
Beginner

I too have manually installed the new update and WiDI is still not working on my Vaio E series running windows 8.1

0 Kudos
MMigl1
Novice

I am having the exact same problem on a Dell Inspiron 5720 3rd Gen Intel Sandy Bridge Intel HD4000 after updating to 8.1. I downloaded the updated video driver yesterday from the Intel site and it seemed to stabiliize the video somewhat but then it keeps reverting to the Microsoft Basic Driver. Critically, my second monitor function is now gone and has never come back no matter what I have tried or installed after the 8.1 update. The video cannot recognize the other external monitor, which I have hooked up three different ways - with HDMI, USB and a regular analog connection. No matter what, it cannot recognize it. The update from the Windows update service included WDDM 1.2 and 1.3 whatever those HD4000 drivers are, which I think mean signed windows drivers, but they destabilize the system and do not allow the external monitor to be recognized in any case. The most recent download from the Intel site with the HD4000 driver from late last week (I think it was dated the 17th) helped stabilize it and stop the crashes but again did not restore the external monitor, Please help get a corrected driver out as the external monitor is critical to the use of this machine.

0 Kudos
MMigl1
Novice

I went to the 3rd Generation Sandy Bridge HD4000 download site, and downloaded and rolled the HD4000 driver back to the one from May, 2013 (that was just before 8.1 preview coming out if I recall correctly) and that seems to have fixed it for now, I think. The second monitor is back. Will advise later if doing so has broken sound or anything else. I am still waiting for a proper new 8.1 driver to fix this.

CBake5
Beginner

marcusm, do you have a link to those May drivers?

0 Kudos
CBake5
Beginner

I found it. Thank you very much. I can use 2 monitors now.

0 Kudos
TRatt1
Beginner

Hi marcusm

I have the same Problem and wanted to download the May 13 Driver. However it is not in the download Center anymore. Could you provide a new link, or the Driver?

Or is there a finite solution available soon?

I have Samsung NP900X-Series

Please advise and thank you very much in advance

0 Kudos
LBien
Beginner

same problem on with pokemon on regular Intel HD Graphics

0 Kudos
TRatt1
Beginner

No the one to use 2 screens! I am not able to use my external screen

0 Kudos
FLame
Beginner

If you guys haven't done so already, maybe post to this thread: /thread/45727 https://communities.intel.com/thread/45727

Perhaps that will get things moving faster.

BTW, same issue w/ respect to inability to use any other monitors and some flickering issues.

My post on that thread:

I have a Toshiba Satellite P75-A7200.

It is running Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600.

Core i7 Processor.

I had downloaded this update earlier today a number of times on my own to no avail. I was also on the phone with Toshiba tech support for over two hours doing many many uninstall/reinstalls. Nothing worked. They were ready to do a full system restore and try again from scratch. I stopped short of that in hopes that something less drastic could fix the issue.

Primary problems here are inability to export to other monitors and some flickering on graphics intensive websites, especially those running Flash.

ANY help would be appreciated. I teach and use a second monitor daily. Kind of a big deal.

0 Kudos
LLiya
Beginner

I also have similar problem.I have upgraded windows 8 to windows 8.1 and its working fine but not for gaming.Many of the games worked fine on windows 8,now crashes on windows 8.1 so i also updated new windows 8.1 graphic drivers for windows 8.1 but still problem exist.please give us proper driver update for windows 8.1

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Please try the troubleshooting steps that have been provided in the thread created for this driver and related issues at:

0 Kudos
NSpla
Beginner

I am having the same problem too, but it only started when I installed beta drivers for my AMD Radeon 7870. I have 5 monitors, two of which are driven by the intel hd 4000 on my ivy bridge processor. Everything was working perfectly fine up to the beta driver install. Now, the driver for the HD4000 in Device manager says same thing as OP, and displays connected to integrated aren't being seen

0 Kudos
WJian10
Beginner

I updated my Windows 8.0 to 8.1 a couple days ago. At that point, my graphics card was playing World of Warcraft at constant 17 fps, when it normally handled it at average of 60 fps. I tried re-installing the suggested only Intel driver for Windows 8.1 64 bit, but to no avail.

Just today, I installed a new driver by Nvidia and defragged my computer (which was 4% fragmented). Afterwards, I realized a significant speed boost in my startup speed, loading speed, and graphics improvement. Now, I can play World of Warcraft at average of 55 fps (although still slightly less than the original) at Performance setting and 65-80 fps at Dynamic graphics setting.

In short, I think the new driver by Nvidia and defragging helps.

0 Kudos
SWhit10
Beginner

I have the same issue with a HP Ultabook that I just updated with Windows 8.1 . The problem is that my 2nd monitor is not seen. I have tried both the HDMI cable and the traditional cable through a USB connection. HP was no help and did not even know that there was a reported issues. Please help if anyone has a work-a-round.

0 Kudos
JBart18
Beginner

Just tried the solution with using old drivers and it worked "like a charm"... except it's hard to call it solution. It's a workaround. After upgrading to 8.1 I had to:

1. Right click the old-new start button
  2. Click "Devices Manager"
  3. Go to "Display adapters", right click my Intel HD 4000 and choose "Update Driver Software" (it was marked with exclamation mark in a yellow triangle anyway... so as turned off)
  4. Choose "Browse my computer for driver software"
  5. and "Let me pick from a list of devices on my computer".
  6. Pick the one before May 2013... so in my case 9.17.10.2875
  7. If you don't see one like that download it from your manufacturer's site (not the Intel one as those tend to give errors while installing - that this driver is not for your graphic card. If you have a toshiba laptop like me, go there and to support) and use "Have Disk..." button.
  8. After clicking "Next" it should install and right after a reboot you'll get your dual screen back
0 Kudos
SWhit10
Beginner

Perfect!! Thanks for the tip!

0 Kudos
DMado2
Beginner

Hi.

Failing to automatically install the right driver (always gave me error) on my Samsung NP350E5C-S05IT I downloaded (from website intel) and run the file Win64_15335.exe but the computer would answer that the driver was not suitable. I then downloaded Win64_15335.zip, I unpacked and I did try the driver from device manager pointing to the unzipped directory Win64_15335.

The driver has been updated.

Hi

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

You should try the latest 15.33.8.64.3345 (10.18.10.3345) driver that we have posted at:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=3rd+Generation+Intel®+Core™+Processors+with+Intel®+HD+Graphics+4000&ProdId=3712&LineId=1101&FamilyId=39 Download Center

0 Kudos
KDixo
Beginner

Just tried this - and makes no difference to my problem... which is videos fail to play on my Lenovo Yoga 13

quite unbelievable really... hope this will be getting resolved REALLY quickly!!

0 Kudos