Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20624 Discussions

Intel(R) Graphics HD 4000 Driver for Windows 8.1 (Not Working Properly)

CZ2
Beginner

I have an Asus K55A with an Intel core i5 processor.

I installed windows 8.1 today and now my graphics adapter's driver is crashed. I cannot view multiple monitors or adjust my screen resolution settings as it is defaulting to the default microsoft driver.

I have updated to Driver Version:

I still get this notice in the device manager:

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

Object Name not found.

Can anyone advise, as I MUST have multiple monitors for work.

Thanks

166 Replies
idata
Employee

Guys and gals.

This thread has become one of essentially ME TOO, ME TOO, ME TOO.

That's good in that it might result in INTEL paying some serious attention.

But for now, I think we are all scubbered and just have to sit and wait.

I haven't seen anyone who has actually solved the problem. A few false leads but that's about it.

Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

I have tested several systems with and I have not been able to replicate the issue. At this point, since you have tested the driver from our side, I recommend you checking for a BIOS update from the manufacture. Besides updating the bios, it is important to test the display port with a direct connection (no video adapters) or test a different cable if possible.

0 Kudos
TVarg2
Beginner

Latest bios...but windows 8.1 64 bit...

- MacBook Pro works well... (Mini DisplayPort, OS X)

- Fujitsu T902, i7-3540M @ 3Ghz , 16 GB RAM, Win 8.1 64 bit, BIOS: 2.07, 22.03.2013 -> NOT

2560x1080 works on built in HDMI, but not on Display Port at port replicator.

0 Kudos
TVarg2
Beginner

The cable is good. If I connect first on built in HDMI connector, and second screen is a display port, display port is works as an extended (only one monitor, LG 29MA73D-PZ, knows PIP, DP 1.2 off mode).

If the first monitor is an LG Ultrawide on built in HDMI, second is a laptop built in screen, works well. But after I attached on the display port a monitor, the built in screen resolution set to low resolution and HDMI switch off... and display port monitor is a blank with no signal. It seems any driver error.

(If I use only display port monitor (no built in hdmi, no built in laptop screen),display port is a blank screen with a no signal. This is my main problem. I have enough one monitor but need it on the display port.)

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

PortalDev

It is confusing for me. Are you using triple display? Can you post your graphics report here? Please make sure to connect all components to the system before getting the graphics report.

0 Kudos
TVarg2
Beginner

I'm not able to use triple display...

Driver by Intel: version: 10.18.10.3379, 2013.12.18.

(If I use 15.33.8.64.3345 -> when attach display port monitor -> error message appear, but restart automatically the driver)

1st display built monitor 1600x900

2nd display LG 29MA73D-PZ connect: on port replicator at DP

3rd display LG 29MA73D-PZ connect: on built in to HDMI

1. Display Port not working from boot. I able to use on DP after boot if first attach a monitor at in bulit HDMI, after this duplicate DP and built in HDMI port (and no built in screen). I do not always succeed.

3. Triple play: blank screen all of them if try extend any external. If internal monitor off I can extend the externals.

4. After install LG monitor driver on Display Port -> Intel HD Graphics Control Panel not working anymore. If I start it, initializing about 30 sec and quit automatically. This is the latest LG driver. I already contacted with LG. I can set only with the "Screen resolution" on Desktop properties.

System: Fujitsu T902, i7-3540M @ 3Ghz , 16 GB RAM, Win 8.1 64 bit, BIOS: 2.07, 22.03.2013

What other data do you need?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

ASUS N56VJ laptop running Win 8.1 with Intel HD 4000 and Nvidia GE635M.

I don't have any crashes or BSOD but, like a huge number of users who have either Netgear NVT3000, Displayport or HP TV Wireless Connect, I can't get my laptop to link with my second monitor (actually, an HDTV). My HP product will detect the HDTV, and the Nvidia Control Panel will report it as a second monitor, but no transfer of Desktop to TV takes place. THere is just a continuous "Linking" message on the TV.

The HP product works beautifully with my Windows 7 laptop and my ASUS Android Tablet. In the HP Forum other users report that everything is also fine with Win 8.0 systems. So, this is almost assuredly a problem with the Windows 8.1 Intel HD 4000 driver or, less likely, Windows 8.1 itself..

Like others, I have tried all sorts of alternative drivers for both the Intel and Nvidia GPUs. ASUS Tech Support even suggested a couple, to no avail. What really bugs me is that, once in a blue moon, the laptop and TV do connect. I have no idea why. I've tried changing the sequence of connecting, etc. but I cannot make the connection happen. It is random and very rare.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

In order to have triple display it is a must to have 2 display ports and a VGA, DVI or HDMI when using a processor with Ivy Bridge (3rd generation). When using a 4th generation processor, it is required to use at least 1 display port and the others can be HDMI, DVI or VGA.

It is very important to mention again, that the configuration should be achieved by using direct connection only. In the case that an adapter is used, the configuration and performance can be affected therefore it will not work properly or at all. Note that when I say no adapter, this mean no passive or active adapters.

0 Kudos
TVarg2
Beginner

I want to connect one display only. At Display Port. Do not working on windows 8.1 64 bit. That's all.

0 Kudos
TVarg2
Beginner

Is the Display Port on port replicator is an adapter or a direct connection?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi kevin_intel

If you were responding to my post, I'm afraid I do not understand your second paragraph.

I'm only trying to use 2 displays - the laptop screen and a Samsung HDTV. If I use an HDMI cable, no problem.

But if I use the HP Wireless TV Connect on my Win 8.1 system, the laptop recognizes the HDTV but there is no transfer of the Desktop to the TV. In other words, the laptop knows who is knocking on the door but it won't let him in.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

PortalDev, Docking stations are considered Active Adapters.

User659,

If I understand you are trying to use the wireless display as a second monitor correct? If so, is your computer WiDi ready?

0 Kudos
JCamp12
Beginner

Uhh the real question is what about the issue with the Pokemon Trading Card Game for window 8.1 and the Intel Drivers.

0 Kudos
BCarr4
Beginner

I have the same issue. I have a Lenovo E431 with the Intel HD 4000 Graphics on an HP ZR2740w monitor. Cannot get it to get better than 1280 x 720 resolution. I have been working on this since 4pm yesterday and none of the drivers you have will work. I have another Lenovo T series laptop with the same card that seems to work fine but none of the E431's will. Fix?

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

PortalDev,

As I mentioned before, the docking station is considered as an Active adapter. I also mentioned that Intel® recommends using a direct connection (no adapters) when using multiple displays configuration. This is because the signal can be affected or not work at all when using these types of devices so we cannot guarantee the correct functionality of the graphics controller.

piclsa08,

I recommend you updating the bios and then updating the graphics driver for your computer. It can be downloaded at the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23405&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%208.1%2C%2064-bit*&DownloadType=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09Drivers%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09

Besides installing the drivers above, it is also important to install the monitor drivers.

0 Kudos
BCarr4
Beginner

I have installed the latest intel driver for the display adapter, the monitor drivers are installed, bios is updated and I have also taken the monitor off of the doc and hooked it directly to the E431 with the provided HDMI connector. Still NO JOY. Next suggestion?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Piclsa08

Even with an HDMI cable connecting the PC to the TV, you can't get the TV to serve as a second monitor?

If it was a wireless HDMI substitute then yes I could understand that, But you are connecting with a real HDMI cable?

That's a new low, so to speak.

You don't have an NVIDIA GPU on that PC do you? If so, use the NVIDIA Control Panel to select the second monitor and don't use Display from Control Panel. My ASUS N56vj has both an Intel HD 4000 and Nvidia GT635M integrated GPU. I have to select the NVIDIA Control Panel to clone the Laptop display onto a TV that is hard cabled via an HDMI cable.

0 Kudos
BCarr4
Beginner

I can get the monitor to be used as a second monitor off of the laptop, the issue is the resolution is crap. It is a Lenovo E431 (Edge) i7. It uses the Intel HD 4000 video card. I have attached it to three different laptops using the Intel 4000 and can't get it to work higher than 1280 x 720. Even if I run the "custommodeapp" from Intel I get nothing higher. I have three of these monitors I just paid $400 for that I guess I'll have to ship back. Pretty upset with Intel on this one. It is obviously an issue, if you google the Intel HD 4000 you get a flood of complaints about its ability to display correct resolution. You would think Intel would resolve the issue but maybe due to the downturn in PC sales Intel just doesn't have the cash to take care of it anymore. I don't know but I'm thinking AMD or dare I say Mac?

0 Kudos
TVarg2
Beginner

Kevin,

"Intel® recommends using a direct connection (no adapters) when using multiple displays configuration. "

I want to use only one monitor. Display does not work on Display Port. I connect only one (the notebook is closed, built in screen off). That's all.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi piclsa08,

You need to use the drop down menu under Options and you will get the Information Center.

PortalDev,

Using adapters with either single display or multiple display can interfere the signal and not work properly. If you are using a direct connection it should work just fine. In the case it is failing my best recommendation at this point since you have done the steps provided before, is to contact the computer manufacture and confirm with them the correct functionality of the device.

0 Kudos
JCamp12
Beginner
0 Kudos